ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since I am doing all the electrical stuff first, let's get the winch out of the way. Let's hear it folks, just buy the winch from the club store I assume...

Viper elite 5000 widespool and a mounting plate? Any reason to choose otherwise? Anything else I will need?

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since I am doing all the electrical stuff first, let's get the winch out of the way. Let's hear it folks, just buy the winch from the club store I assume...

Viper elite 5000 widespool and a mounting plate? Any reason to choose otherwise? Anything else I will need?
That's what I have. Works great.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

The club store is a great option for sure. But,..... if you're looking for something else i'd recommend
going here -> Offroad Accessories | Montana Jack's Outpost, Warn winches/Snoplows – Montana Jacks Outpost
Ask for Scott and tell him I sent ya. They have the best WARN prices in the country and excellent service.

Can't go wrong with either place you choose.

I did the Warn 4500 vrx with wireless remote and it was excellent.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Viper elite widespool has my vote. I’ve bought 2 of them (700-4 and 1000-5) they’ve worked great.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay I ordered the Viper elite 6000 widespool based on the fact the 5,000 was showing low stock. Wasn't that much more money so I'm good with it.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay, a couple things... the mount plate that comes with this elite widespool 6000 bolts to the vertical frame tubes via 4 u-bolts.

First off, the holes in the mounting plate were not big enough to accept the mounting bolts. Had to drill two of them to 25/64 and then it was okay. Next, the plate was too big to fit between a part of the welded frame member up above and the diff mounting bracket below. I had a couple choices.

1. Mount it kinda crooked with the mounting plate hitting the diff bracket. Might have been okay, but hokey IMO.
2. Grind off part of the frame upstairs or a little off the diff bracket. Yeah, no thanks.
3. Grind a couple notches in the mounting plate. This seemed like the lesser evil of course and it appears to work okay.

Here you can see where I ground a bit off the plate.

Honda 4

One of the terminals for the cables is really close up against the plastic bumper shroud. I think it will clear okay. I'll get a pic of that soon here.

advertisement
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will not regret the widespool #6000.
I have one but had no issue with mount plate.
As I remember the plate was a special order seperate from the plate that came with the winch. MA 11818 I think.
Took longest to get bumper off and on.
No wiring issues.
Dash mounted switch and remote work great.
MA11818 01 800x

Last edited:
ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same mounting plate. Just needed a tad of relief as you can see in my pic, I could have probably just tightened it down... but I like the way it sits a little better now. All good. And two of the screw holes needed a bit of enlargement, the plate mounted to the winch base with two different size bolts.

The power leads are really long, I am heading to Advance Auto to get some terminals so I can cut them down a bit.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!