HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My wife rode with me today in the Pioneer on a 40 mile round rip ride to the home of relatives. The short trip was on a secondary highway with blacktop surface at around 45mpoh. The roar of the cheap aggressive oem off -road tires was unbearable even with ear protection ear muffs clamped tightly on my head. Communication was impossible. With ear muffs on we couldn't hear each other even when yelling.

I've got to do something about this. I only drive it on pavement so my needs are different than most. I'm thinking about ordering a set of Talon take-offs from Shawnee Honda's eBay store, ditch the tires, and order quiet tires. I don't want lift kits or tires larger 28" to stay close to factory gearing.

The challenge will be to find a set of quiet 15" tires that fit the Talon wheels.

Many members here have a wide range of experience with better quality tires but their buggies are primarily driven on dirt roads, sand, mud, rocks, and trails so they're using off-road treads.

Please recommend a tire and size that will fit the Talon wheels and provide a quiet ride. I want to stick with Talon 15" wheels. I don't want aftermarket wheels, wheel spacers, or aggressive off-road tires.

I would also consider tires for the Pioneer Deluxe wheels I'm using now but I'm thinking I might prefer to store the Pioneer wheels and tires for winter use in snow and install a very mild light truck or even highway tire on the Talon wheels for three season use.

There are hundreds of posts in dozens of thread on this subject but the problem is the answers are never complete and specific. Many members know what works but the answers they provide are vague, incomplete, or sarcastic. Several have asked the same or similar questions but I haven't seen answers that help very much.

Please, someone tell us what fits and is at least relatively quiet on Honda oem Pioneer 14" or Talon 15" wheels.

I will appreciate your recommendations. QUIET is my goal! Thanks.

Reactions: Mytalon and Lady01
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife rode with me today in the Pioneer on a 40 mile round rip ride to the home of relatives. The short trip was on a secondary highway with blacktop surface at around 45mpoh. The roar of the cheap aggressive oem off -road tires was unbearable even with ear protection ear muffs clamped tightly on my head. Communication was impossible. With ear muffs on we couldn't hear each other even when yelling.

I've got to do something about this. I only drive it on pavement so my needs are different than most. I'm thinking about ordering a set of Talon take-offs from Shawnee Honda's eBay store, ditch the tires, and order quiet tires. I don't want lift kits or tires larger 28" to stay close to factory gearing.

The challenge will be to find a set of quiet 15" tires that fit the Talon wheels.

Many members here have a wide range of experience with better quality tires but their buggies are primarily driven on dirt roads, sand, mud, rocks, and trails so they're using off-road treads.

Please recommend a tire and size that will fit the Talon wheels and provide a quiet ride. I want to stick with Talon 15" wheels. I don't want aftermarket wheels, wheel spacers, or aggressive off-road tires.

I would also consider tires for the Pioneer Deluxe wheels I'm using now but I'm thinking I might prefer to store the Pioneer wheels and tires for winter use in snow and install a very mild light truck or even highway tire on the Talon wheels for three season use.

There are hundreds of posts in dozens of thread on this subject but the problem is the answers are never complete and specific. Many members know what works but the answers they provide are vague, incomplete, or sarcastic. Several have asked the same or similar questions but I haven't seen answers that help very much.

Please, someone tell us what fits and is at least relatively quiet on Honda oem Pioneer 14" or Talon 15" wheels.

I will appreciate your recommendations. QUIET is my goal! Thanks.
Got ya:

(If not this, then the best I can offer from experience is the Kenati Mongrel. They seem to be quiet and fare well on pavement.)

D

DDDonkey

I would get some 15" rims and run truck tires, they ride and wear great, much quieter than stock, and will last forever. Here is a pic of my old setup, I was running stock a-arms and just a 2" lift at the time. I don't recall is the lift was needed or not.

Tires - 235/75R15 (cheap from Amazon)

IMG 2880

D

DDDonkey

Are rear wheel spacers required in order to prevent wheel rub when using 235/85/15 tires?
No, they even out the track width front too rear, not required but makes the Pioneer more stable and look better. RB3 sell 1" spacers that work pretty well, I ran them with no issues, plus they are made in the USA!

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That's helpful. My understanding is quickly growing.

The 235/75-15 tires are taller which reduces the gearing torque advantage and heavier which at least theoretically requires more torque to begin rotation. Do the larger tires cause noticeable loss in start-up power and acceleration?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Oh! I just realized. Your answers are based on using aftermarket wheels. I want to use Talon 15" wheels.

Will LT235/75-15 tires mount on Talon wheels? Rear wheel spacers would not be required with Talon wheels, right?

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A wider wheel in back will make tire shorter in rear than front I personally would not do it unless you could find 2 more fronts and run 4 front wheels but don't know offset on talon wheel .It takes a little power away ,I think I noticed it more on high speed stops

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No need to be sorry about anther wheel thread! Its the book you wrote at the top u need to be sorry about! Holy cow! 🤣 😂
I have the sane set up like @BWAF has with LT tires. What he said is correctamondo!!!!

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
BWAF & Remington are both of you using the same wheels and tires?

What brands and what's your source? Did you buy them as wheel & tire combinations or separate?

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm running STI HD9 with beadlock, that's whole nother conversion beadlock and truck tires a Federal Couragia MT

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you don't want to screw with wheels and spacers tusk terrabites are a truck style utv tire. Do really well on the road.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh! I just realized. Your answers are based on using aftermarket wheels. I want to use Talon 15" wheels.

Will LT235/75-15 tires mount on Talon wheels? Rear wheel spacers would not be required with Talon wheels, right?
Before you buy those Talon wheels, you’d better check the bolt pattern. I’m pretty sure the Talon bolt pattern is larger.

Reactions: Lady01 and HBarlow
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you don't want to screw with wheels and spacers tusk terrabites are a truck style utv tire. Do really well on the road.

Thanks for the suggestion. I browsed Rocky Mountain ATV's site and looked at the Terrabite tires. I've seen them mentioned and recommended here many times.

The tread pattern looks pretty aggressive which usually means noisy on pavement. Do they howl on pavement?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Before you buy those Talon wheels, you’d better check the bolt pattern. I’m pretty sure the Talon bolt pattern is larger.
Thanks for the warning. I thought they are interchangeable and Talon wheels are 15".

Can anyone who has tried Talon wheels on a Pioneer comment on this?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thanks for the warning. I thought they are interchangeable and Talon wheels are 15".

Can anyone who has tried Talon wheels on a Pioneer comment on this?
Talon and Pioneer 1000 have the same lug pattern (4/136) and are interchangeable. If you are buying aftermarket wheels, there are VERY few 4/136 options but 4/137 work just fine and are what 95% of people are running.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for that clarification.

I'm learning from each of these posts. Perhaps aftermarket wheels and rear wheel spacers are my only choice to use less aggressive tires. I really didn't want to go there but I may have to.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't really want to spend$1000 - $1200 on a set of wheels and another $1000 - $1000 on tires for my Pioneer. I like the looks of the aftermarket 15" wheels several of you are using and the LT tires at least look like less aggressive and quieter treads.

It's becoming clear that I can have noisy off-road tires on 12", 14" Pioneer wheels or noisy off-road tires on 15" Talon wheels but to have quieter to quiet light truck highway tires I may have to buy a set of four aftermarket wheels and a pair of spacers.

Would some of you give me some recommendations for wheels by name and the source where you've purchased them so I can consider my choices?

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!