ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OP, I just replaced the tires on my Pioneer 1000-5 with Tusk Terrabites and I went with the same size. I blew an OEM tire out on the sidewall and it forced my hand and boy I am glad it did. I had my own thread here partly for the same reasons as you, the OEM tire was "ok" off road but miserable on the street. I'm not sure about Terrabites and your Talon, I don't have one of those but I can fully endorse the tire on and off road now that they are on the buggy. MUCH quieter, still not car quiet by any stretch, but what SxS is? I would say the tire noise has been cut in half, which makes it so you hear the motor and trans noise but in that case if you're hearing the mechanical stuff more than the tires, mission accomplished in that regard right?

The handling and ride quality is MUCH better with the new tires, although I would say I probably need to air them down a little for offroad to soften the ride some and add a little 2WD grip in the front to correct some understeer. I took it on about 20 miles of fire roads and UTV trails yesterday and It wasn't bad, just had to lead the turn a little more. I just checked the PSI and the guys aired the tires to 23 PSI, I'll drop them to 18 and see how they do.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
ACFixer,

Thanks very much for your post. Your report is exactly what I was looking for. I can read your statements about your experience and evaluate your result in terms of what I want to achieve.

Actually I have a Pioneer 1000 also, a base model P1K3 with Deluxe 14" wheels and tires. Is that the same as iyours or do you have a base model with 12" wheels & tires like mine was originally?

What size(s) did you buy? Did you stay with the 9" fronts and 11" rears?

Last edited:
ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ACFixer,

Thanks very much for your post. Your report is exactly what I was looking for. I can read your statements about your experience and evaluate your result in terms of what I want to achieve.

Actually I have a Pioneer 1000 also, a base model P1K3 with Deluxe 14" wheels and tires. Is that the same as iyours or do you have a base model with 12" wheels & tires like mine was originally?

What size(s) did you buy? Did you stay with the 9" fronts and 11" rears?

I have the Deluxe so 27 x 9 x 14 in the front and yes 11 in the rear. I stayed with the same size because I didn't want to go down the tire-rub rabbit hole. I honestly feel the gearing could use a little more top end and was looking at the 28", but a few people told me it rubs at full lock which means you KNOW it will during turns if the shocks compress. I wish the engine was turning a few less RPM at 60 mph, but it's the way it was designed so I'll trust Honda on that one I guess.

I bought the buggy mainly for a hunting rig, so I just don't want to do a darn this that will compromise reliability in the bush. This was an eye-opener because I blew that OEM tire easily on my own property and while nobody wants this to happen with 150 miles on a set of tires, better that than having it happen 30 miles down a trail in BFE Arizona. Even with this set, I will probably mount up a spare 9" tire to take with on any really deep excursions. A can of slime and a mini compressor too right?

But I can say for my particular uses, this is a far better tire. $600 well spent. I'm not sure how well it would perform in really muddy soup, but honestly the OEM tire packed up the tread pretty quickly in wet dirt and became a slick anyway. So far I've done some mild mud and wet areas and the terrabites have not packed up.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have the Deluxe so 27 x 9 x 14 in the front and yes 11 in the rear. I stayed with the same size because I didn't want to go down the tire-rub rabbit hole. I honestly feel the gearing could use a little more top end and was looking at the 28", but a few people told me it rubs at full lock which means you KNOW it will during turns if the shocks compress. I wish the engine was turning a few less RPM at 60 mph, but it's the way it was designed so I'll trust Honda on that one I guess.

I bought the buggy mainly for a hunting rig, so I just don't want to do a darn this that will compromise reliability in the bush. This was an eye-opener because I blew that OEM tire easily on my own property and while nobody wants this to happen with 150 miles on a set of tires, better that than having it happen 30 miles down a trail in BFE Arizona. Even with this set, I will probably mount up a spare 9" tire to take with on any really deep excursions. A can of slime and a mini compressor too right?

But I can say for my particular uses, this is a far better tire. $600 well spent. I'm not sure how well it would perform in really muddy soup, but honestly the OEM tire packed up the tread pretty quickly in wet dirt and became a slick anyway. So far I've done some mild mud and wet areas and the terrabites have not packed up.
I bought my P1k3 to run around in my neighborhood and local community almost entirely on blacktop but on an occasional dirt road or or gravel two track occur. I doubt it will see any muddy trails.

I feel much the same as you described - I don't want any radical modifications. I agree that top end is a little less than I would prefer and at a higher engine rpm only because I would enjoy a higher cruise speed. I owned a Talon briefly and appreciated it's higher cruise sped. Talons have a top speed of around 75 and cruise easily at 55 - 60 mph. Oh well, compromises are a necessary part of life.

C

Chris1000

Dec 27, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the suggestion. I browsed Rocky Mountain ATV's site and looked at the Terrabite tires. I've seen them mentioned and recommended here many times.

The tread pattern looks pretty aggressive which usually means noisy on pavement. Do they howl on pavement?
I just bought a set of terabytes, kept the same sizes as the original OEM on my pioneer 14". Haven't run them alot yet but was noticeably quieter and rode smooth on the pavement.

Harvey

Harvey

Mar 14, 2018
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 , model new tires and wheels no need for spacers dot approved they don,t makes noise ride nice price was right free shipping mounted and balanced caps and lugs 1017.00 inc,ed tax I,m happy as hell . Did not like the maxxis tires ,offset was same as stock rims .

Screenshot 20210710 111108 Gmail 20210317 135021

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
2018 , model new tires and wheels no need for spacers dot approved they don,t makes noise ride nice price was right free shipping mounted and balanced caps and lugs 1017.00 inc,ed tax I,m happy as hell . Did not like the maxxis tires ,offset was same as stock rims .

View attachment 283107 View attachment 283108
The wheels and tires look great. Those tires provide a lot of rubber in contact with the pavement which usually means less noise.

I'm interested but having trouble reading the order you copied. Where did you buy them? How about a link?

Last edited:
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are looking for wheels still try these guys out. I recommend them. I got my truck wheels from them and pioneer wheels from them. Open up a chat with them and tell them you are seeking some discounts. They will work with you. I set the link up to bring up 15" wheels in 4x137. You can browse around if you want something different.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for all the links and suggestions. I'm becoming overwhelmed with options but will look at all of them.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree with DDDonkey. He has been running that rig with those tires for some time so he knows what he is talking about. Try his web site Dirt'N;'Diesel - lots of good information there. Maybe a tire that is DOT rated at 8 ply. They are a bit pricy but Method wheels and Tensor tires have a good reputation and they are DOT rated.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’ve got some great suggestions here, but may I throw in something a little different? Have you thought of a car tire? If you’re running only asphalt or well maintained dirt roads most of the time, a smooth tread like a highway tire would have the best grip and handling as well as be the quietest. And it doesn’t get any cheaper than a 14” car tire. There are even some that have a little more “aggressive” tread but are really still just meant for an everyday Toyota Corolla. If that’s too vanilla, I can’t help but recommend a 15” LT tire. That’s what I finally settled on after a lot of thought and suggestions from these guys. My only regret is I didn’t do it sooner. Better off-road performance than the junk OEM tires and the sound and ride difference on the road was unbelievable. I went with System 3 wheels (newer company with a great warranty and low cost) wrapped in Maxxis Buckshot Mudders in 235/75r15. And I couldn’t tell a difference in power. The only difference I could “feel” was a little loss in braking, as someone else already mentioned.

28d089667fa949d927019c0bbba631d9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You’ve got some great suggestions here, but may I throw in something a little different? Have you thought of a car tire? If you’re running only asphalt or well maintained dirt roads most of the time, a smooth tread like a highway tire would have the best grip and handling as well as be the quietest. And it doesn’t get any cheaper than a 14” car tire. There are even some that have a little more “aggressive” tread but are really still just meant for an everyday Toyota Corolla. If that’s too vanilla, I can’t help but recommend a 15” LT tire. That’s what I finally settled on after a lot of thought and suggestions from these guys. My only regret is I didn’t do it sooner. Better off-road performance than the junk OEM tires and the sound and ride difference on the road was unbelievable. I went with System 3 wheels (newer company with a great warranty and low cost) wrapped in Maxxis Buckshot Mudders in 235/75r15. And I couldn’t tell a difference in power. The only difference I could “feel” was a little loss in braking, as someone else already mentioned.

View attachment 283596

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought of car tires - specifically all season car tires but I don't know if a car tire will inflate and seal on the wide 14" Honda oem rear wheels. Will they seal against the bead?

Reactions: Lady01
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm feeling like the kid left off the fun bus at school.
I want bigger shoes for my Pioneer, but I have 3/8ths clearance under the garage door - and that's after sawing stuff and moving the door opener lift as far as I can. : (

M

MonoJoe

May 11, 2019
Calif.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
has any one tried the terabytes in 29 X 9 X14 and 29 X 11 X 14 on the Pioneer 1000-5
and if so how bad do they RUB???

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!