P1000 My first mod will be...?

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got this 2016 1000-5D.....I want to start making some mods.... but time constraints make it impossible for me to do more than one at a time ( I have multiple "other" projects going).

Anyway...#1 will be a dual battery set-up....seems like that is the basis for many additional mods...
I have read and searched the entire forum....multiple times....
I have one question....it's a matter of preference...but I'm try to decide between two isolator kits

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR7X8FD/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Or this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Isolator-Wiring-KeyLine-Chargers/dp/B00WTAFR52/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I plan on using the Blue Sea Fuse block with neg buss, stinger 80 amp solenoid, and either an XS or Odessy battery....

Any input/suggestions welcomed and much appreciated...( I do realize there is more than one way to skin a cat...and I like to keep it simple)

Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fwiw I run the odyssey battery as my second and have never used any isolator with it. I have never had any issue with battery going dead even after sitting for weeks during winter. I do understand the rationale for having an isolator I just haven't been worried enough or encountered a need to spend $120 for one.

The true isolator seems to be most popular.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fwiw I run the odyssey battery as my second and have never used any isolator with it. I have never had any issue with battery going dead even after sitting for weeks during winter. I do understand the rationale for having an isolator I just haven't been worried enough or encountered a need to spend $120 for one.

The true isolator seems to be most popular.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have not installed the 2nd battery yet, but plan to within the next month. Like you, I have no plans to use an isolator. If problems arise that dictate the need, I will do so ...... but I really don't see that happening.

J

JTW

I think the True is like 50 bucks.. I like having my accessories completely isolated from the stock system. The 52” light bar being the biggest reason as it will really drain a battery. That and winching.

J

JTW

Also, there is a knockoff odessey battery called mighty max that is 1/3 the price

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been busy but making some progress...I got all the parts and pieces gathered together for the dual battery mod
It takes me a little longer to do anything because I spend a lot of time planning...but I think it's gonna work out OK
I modified the relay cover....didn't want to just remove it
CNC machined a custom cover and aluminum adapter for the intake hose...fits snugly over the lip on the intake...adapter has an o-ring inside for 100% seal
Hid the solenoid under it to keep everything tidy...I'm anal about spaghetti looking wiring and there's plenty of
places to run the wiring out of sight
A little more wiring and mod #1 will be complete
next..turn signals and horn
IMG 2522b
IMG 2524b
IMG 2537b
IMG 2538
IMG 2546

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been busy but making some progress...I got all the parts and pieces gathered together for the dual battery mod
It takes me a little longer to do anything because I spend a lot of time planning...but I think it's gonna work out OK
I modified the relay cover....didn't want to just remove it
CNC machined a custom cover and aluminum adapter for the intake hose...fits snugly over the lip on the intake...adapter has an o-ring inside for 100% seal
Hid the solenoid under it to keep everything tidy...I'm anal about spaghetti looking wiring and there's plenty of
places to run the wiring out of sight
A little more wiring and mod #1 will be complete
next..turn signals and horn
View attachment 83777 View attachment 83778 View attachment 83779 View attachment 83780 View attachment 83781
Sweet ,don't you love being a machineist

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WhitJo and JTW
WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sweet ,don't you love being a machineist

Yes...it comes in handy.....if only I had time to do more of my own stuff....but the customers pay the bills so I can...!

advertisement
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes...it comes in handy.....if only I had time to do more of my own stuff....but the customers pay the bills so I can...!
I just wish where I work they realize that it is a skilled trade job and paid me right. Or I can start my own shop and just build side-to-side parts

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just wish where I work they realize that it is a skilled trade job and paid me right. Or I can start my own shop and just build side-to-side parts

I worked for 25 years for someone else...the last 10 years of that I was slowly building up my own shop business....then I quit my regular job in 1998 to go full time on my own....never looked back.
The problem with starting a machining business is the cost of the machine tools....most of the ones I have now cost more than I paid for my house....but now they are finally paid off and are paying off for me...
I pay my guys well..

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
WhitJo you going to make some of those intake covers and the hose adapters to sell looks great

As much as I would like to, just to help fellow members..... I just couldn't make them at an affordable price.
I made the cover from some scrap black 3/4" thick plexiglass that was left over from a job that I did for a customer years ago.
The aluminum was also a piece of scrap material.
Just to break even ... they would be in the $250.00 - $300.00 price range ... that's more than even I would pay...LOL...
Thanks for asking

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
a member over on FB called my attention to the gaping air intake opening right where I mounted the solenoid under the plate....
Honda apparently has an up graded intake cover for the water intrusion issue that includes a block-off plate for that opening...
I just used a piece of the original intake that I had already cut the relay cover off of and shaped it to fit....
not real pretty but it will be hidden anyway...
just have to make a hole higher up and on the side to re-route the wires
IMG 2551
IMG 2552

Reactions: ToddACimer and BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
a member over on FB called my attention to the gaping air intake opening right where I mounted the solenoid under the plate....
Honda apparently has an up graded intake cover for the water intrusion issue that includes a block-off plate for that opening...
I just used a piece of the original intake that I had already cut the relay cover off of and shaped it to fit....
not real pretty but it will be hidden anyway...
just have to make a hole higher up and on the side to re-route the wires
View attachment 83916 View attachment 83917
Yes I had also noticed that.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good. I saw your build on FB, nice work. I'll be adding my fuse box over the next few weeks and this is the kind of installation I'm looking to mimic. Very clean.

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good. I saw your build on FB, nice work. I'll be adding my fuse box over the next few weeks and this is the kind of installation I'm looking to mimic. Very clean.

Thank you...and thanks for the heads up over there on FB about the block off...
I've been in the machine shop business for 40+ years.....
my philosophy has always been "it takes the same amount of work to do a job right....as it does to do it wrong"
I tell my guys "make it right and make it look good"....
the first impression a customer has.....is how the job looks at first glance...

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and BWAF
WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A rainy Saturday and the signal lights and horn are installed and working perfectly...
put it on my lift and dropped the skid plate...made running the wires an easy task
IMG 2560

Reactions: Cuoutdoors and BWAF
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!