P1000 My perception

B

bwfox

Nov 26, 2015
I am 62 years old and have a prosthetic left leg. I cannot walk out if I breakdown. I promote a UTV Rally and I am always out looking for routes and exploring. I put +3,000 miles on my 2014 Teryx 2 in one year. I live in NE NV and we have 1000s of miles of old two tracks. I don't go looking for mud. We don't have sand. I don't do deep water. I do like to do multi day rides. It's not uncommon to put 750-800 miles over a 4 or 5 day ride. My Teryx has been very reliable. In the past year I have done 5 or 6 oil and filters and 2 front and rear diff oil changes. I have had the valves checked once. I am getting ready to check/adjust the valves again and go in to the belt case and clean it up and possibly replace the belt. I also had to change a fuel filter in the tank on the pick up on the pump. I recently put new tires on it. That's it.
The Teryx is very noisy mechanically. Not a big deal, I always wear a helmet and that minimizes the noise. The Teryx makes around 55 hp. Not a lot to haul +1600# around. The Teryx only has 8" of oversprung stiff suspension. I get about 160 miles to a tank, if I know I need to conserve. I carry a 4g Rotopax, and that has always been enough. I don't have a lot of complaints. The 50 mph limiter drives me nuts. The belt change is labor intensive and is tough to do on the trail. Both the primary and secondary clutches have to pulled together and that requires a cordless impact out on the trail. When I first read about the new Pioneer 1000 early last summer, I thought that is the one I want. I will lose some money to change now. I don't need a 5 but I would like the 3 EPS. The Teryx has a ridiculous amount of on board storage. The Honda has virtually none. I see fuel economy and range claims to be similar to my Teryx. More power and slightly better/more suspension is good. No 50 mph limiter would be awesome. Most of all I am totally excited about the DCT. That alone seems to be worth the price of admission! Honda has more experience with DCTs than almost any company in the world. I'm waiting for a white one to come in!

Reactions: Stauvo
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome aboard @bwfox. That's a lot of riding. 3k in one year is about 3 times more than I do.

Congrats on the decision to get a Pioneer. I will be looking forward to your review as you will be putting the miles on quickly.

Reactions: ohanacreek
B

bwfox

Nov 26, 2015
I am 62 years old and have a prosthetic left leg. I cannot walk out if I breakdown. I promote a UTV Rally and I am always out looking for routes and exploring. I put +3,000 miles on my 2014 Teryx 2 in one year. I live in NE NV and we have 1000s of miles of old two tracks. I don't go looking for mud. We don't have sand. I don't do deep water. I do like to do multi day rides. It's not uncommon to put 750-800 miles over a 4 or 5 day ride. My Teryx has been very reliable. In the past year I have done 5 or 6 oil and filters and 2 front and rear diff oil changes. I have had the valves checked once. I am getting ready to check/adjust the valves again and go in to the belt case and clean it up and possibly replace the belt. I also had to change a fuel filter in the tank on the pick up on the pump. I recently put new tires on it. That's it.
The Teryx is very noisy mechanically. Not a big deal, I always wear a helmet and that minimizes the noise. The Teryx makes around 55 hp. Not a lot to haul +1600# around. The Teryx only has 8" of oversprung stiff suspension. I get about 160 miles to a tank, if I know I need to conserve. I carry a 4g Rotopax, and that has always been enough. I don't have a lot of complaints. The 50 mph limiter drives me nuts. The belt change is labor intensive and is tough to do on the trail. Both the primary and secondary clutches have to pulled together and that requires a cordless impact out on the trail. When I first read about the new Pioneer 1000 early last summer, I thought that is the one I want. I will lose some money to change now. I don't need a 5 but I would like the 3 EPS. The Teryx has a ridiculous amount of on board storage. The Honda has virtually none. I see fuel economy and range claims to be similar to my Teryx. More power and slightly better/more suspension is good. No 50 mph limiter would be awesome. Most of all I am totally excited about the DCT. That alone seems to be worth the price of admission! Honda has more experience with DCTs than almost any company in the world. I'm waiting for a white one to come in!
Well maybe after this record winter winter we are having in NE NV! First I have to go look at a red one that just came in, then I have wait for a white one. It will look good behind my white Honda Ridgeline...

J

Jack39

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2015
Wareham, MA (near cape cod)
Welcome to the forum bjfox. I had a Teryx 2 that I traded on a 1k/3 which still has not come in to the dealer. I bought the Teryx on the basis of the reviews I had read, I sat in it and it was comfortable. I did not drive it, as the dealer had no place to demo. When we went on the first ride, I felt like I was on a Harley!. I couldn't believe the noise and vibration. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. No way could I carry on a conversation with my passenger. I am 76 years old, and who knows how many more years of riding I have left. I'm not a man of means, but when I tried out the Honda P 1k, I made a deal right there on the spot, left my Teryx there and drove home with a s--t eating grin on my face. It's still there! Hopefully I will have the new machine soon. This forum is fantastic, anything you want to know about the Pioneer is available here

Reactions: allgm1 and bwfox
B

bwfox

Nov 26, 2015
BW,
The 1k3's & 5's have plenty of storage.

In the bed!

John
It is nice to have your bed free for camp gear and have all your flats stuff like jack, 4 way, 12v compressor, plug kit always stored in a water tight compartment. And that is just one side. I have coats, gloves maps, first aid, toilet paper, etc., etc.... on the other side. That still leaves the entire bed for gas cans and two spares...

B

bwfox

Nov 26, 2015
Welcome to the forum bjfox. I had a Teryx 2 that I traded on a 1k/3 which still has not come in to the dealer. I bought the Teryx on the basis of the reviews I had read, I sat in it and it was comfortable. I did not drive it, as the dealer had no place to demo. When we went on the first ride, I felt like I was on a Harley!. I couldn't believe the noise and vibration. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. No way could I carry on a conversation with my passenger. I am 76 years old, and who knows how many more years of riding I have left. I'm not a man of means, but when I tried out the Honda P 1k, I made a deal right there on the spot, left my Teryx there and drove home with a s--t eating grin on my face. It's still there! Hopefully I will have the new machine soon. This forum is fantastic, anything you want to know about the Pioneer is available here
That is reassuring. Thanks! The Teryx is crude in some ways. I have a half million miles on road motorcycles, but I rode beemers, ducatis, and guzzis along with lots of jap stuff. I never owned a harley and I had never thought of my Teryx in that fashion, but I may not ever get it out of my head again! :>)

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm 74 and beat up enough so no walking out for me. I put over 19,000 miles on my 2 Teryx models. They are difficult to work on so my Pioneer 1000 makes life easy with easy maintenance. Got a bit over 500 miles on it now. The Teryx 4 seater has better seats but the Pioneer is OK for my 6 hour rides. 10 hour rides are doable but better seats would be nice. The 6 speed is a close ratio trans and it shifts into 6th gear at 28 mph with easy throttle. It has lots of bottom end and will run what ever in the sand washes. I usually run in 5th gear until I get to 40 mph then 6th will pull well in the deep loose sand, 50 or 55 is no problem. Most of the time I'm running in the 3,000 to 4,000 rpm range, most all of the belt drives run 5,000 to 6,500 rpm. The sport model will only be used by me a couple times a year for a short drag race. The Pioneer 1000 is a game changer.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Oh, great to see some more seniors having fun. There is about 20 of us in our 70's and 80's and I would guess its like some of us never grow up. I still have my 2011 RZR 900 for our Race Pace rides. It has over 11,700 miles on it now and our race pace is more like a preride pace now. We are just too old to get hurt. The Polaris is a real pain to set up and maintain for high mileage use. The Sport Hondas should be out next year. Sure like to get one while I'm still young.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!