P1000 My take of Hondas rubber mat heat fix!!

Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What a joke!! Just drove 5 hrs. Round trip to my dealer to get this installed, got home just now unloaded and went for a 10 mi. ride that I do all most daily, 78' which cooler than it has been, and it's worst than it was, the driver seat and seat belt area become unbearable, I hope they installed it right. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I just did an all day ride this weekend. Temp was in the mid 80s and I was doing mostly slow crawling and slow trail riding. The heat was better. It was still hot but I did not feel like a gas station hot dog on the rotisserie machine when riding through water. I would have liked more of an improvement but it is certainly better than it was. Part of my issue is that the machine is more refined than any atv/UTV that I have previously owned. Because of that, I think I have higher expectations than I should.

L

Luv4Chaos1

Aug 1, 2016
Pinckney, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What a joke!! Just drove 5 hrs. Round trip to my dealer to get this installed, got home just now unloaded and went for a 10 mi. ride that I do all most daily, 78' which cooler than it has been, and it's worst than it was, the driver seat and seat belt area become unbearable, I hope they installed it right. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Were you notified about this update? By Honda or dealer... Is this the official fix??? When did it come out???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Were you notified about this update? By Honda or dealer... Is this the official fix??? When did it come out???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is Hondas try at helping the heat issue, 100 kits were made available for customer R&D. I had called the dealer and then Honda with my concerns on excessive heat in the cab and ended up getting one of the kits installed, not impressed yet. I have not made any mods in my p1k5 because of waiting for the kit install, I will now try my own fixes.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is Hondas try at helping the heat issue, 100 kits were made available for customer R&D. I had called the dealer and then Honda with my concerns on excessive heat in the cab and ended up getting one of the kits installed, not impressed yet. I have not made any mods in my p1k5 because of waiting for the kit install, I will now try my own fixes.
Sounds like right now, doing something yourself is the only option until Honda gets their act together.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 10 shields Ava for $25 shipped 3 day shipping.

J

JIM7386

Jun 22, 2016
TUCSON
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Do not currently own
I just did an all day ride this weekend. Temp was in the mid 80s and I was doing mostly slow crawling and slow trail riding. The heat was better. It was still hot but I did not feel like a gas station hot dog on the rotisserie machine when riding through water. I would have liked more of an improvement but it is certainly better than it was. Part of my issue is that the machine is more refined than any atv/UTV that I have previously owned. Because of that, I think I have higher expectations than I should.

J

JIM7386

Jun 22, 2016
TUCSON
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Do not currently own
Hi, I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this right. I am an aircraft mechanic and I just bought a 2016 700-4. I read about the heat/noise issue and here's my suggestion. There is a material used in aircraft called "lead shield" it is self adhesive on one side and you put it on the inside of the aluminum of an aircraft to deaden the noise and thermal transfer. If there are no aircraft supply places near you go to a good car stereo store and they should have something like it to put inside of the doors of high dollar cars. You only need a small piece and what I am going to do is stick it to the bottom of the seat (use a heat gun) and glue some thermal insulation sheeting (from home depot)to it so you get the reflective capabilities of the bubble wrap aluminized material and then the lead sheet. the thickness of this combination is less that 1/4 of an inch and it should allow you to still plug the seat back on the retainer posts. the cost of this mod should be about $5.00 depending what they charge for the stick on material.Another thing I am going to do (if I can stay out of the hospital) is take the flimsey rubber sheets from under the seat and use them as a template to make a thin but stiff barrier panel to replace them. I am going to use two 1/4 turn screws to fasten them so there is no leakage of air. If you make these here's a tip, when you put them for the first time put some liquid rubber (available in tubes from auto supplier) on the face of the panel and coat the frame attach area with vaseline so it will only stick to the panel. When you put the panel on this will make a permanant seal but you can take the panel off without it sticking. This is how we put all the skin panels on F-16's and it works well.As with all the aircraft I have worked on if only the "engineers would talk to the users before they build them we would have a better product.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!