My wife wants a KRX(Talon X Suspension info)

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That seems reasonable to me- i wouldnt think theres a ton of room for improvement there.

So I came off a XP1000 to a Pioneer, so I might not be the guy to ask but IMO for the riding we do (Hatfield McCoy mostly), the sport suspension wasnt necessary.

Now my father on the other hand, disagrees and just went out and bought a new KRX. All factory- we ran about 100 miles on it last Friday going from Devil's Backbone ATV resort, up through Rockhouse to Man, WV. There are certainly some sections that beat you to death on that trail, and the KRX did handle quite well even at speeds around 20mph on that trail, however I wouldn't own one over my Pioneer 1000-5. I'm running 29 inch Bighorns on factory wheels, stock deluxe suspension and my personal opinion is that the extra speed I can move through some of that stuff is not worth the noise produced by the KRX. If you are going above 10-12 mph, you cant talk to your passenger in the stock format.

I have been doing some reading for dad and it looks like with clutch weights, springs, and maybe a tune you can lower the RPMs and with it the noise, but it definitely is something to be aware of. If the noise is an issue, aren't you just working on different parts of your new machine? Really better than just fine tuning your Talon suspension?

Of course all this is going to be dependent on your preferences and your riding style/terrain. For me, in that setting, the KRX suspension is definitely better, its just that the noise was a deal breaker for me. Had I the option of taking Dad's KRX or my 1000-5, I'd take my machine every time.

I will say the KRX is in my opinion, way more comfortable inside than the Talon I rented out in Moab. If you are a mildly large human (6' 240lbs here), theres no comparison in the way of "elbow room".

Just a few of the trade offs I noticed from driving all three machines though. At the end of the day i agree with everyone that has noted the old adage-

happy wife happy life!

also the idea that your wife is trying to talk you into selling one 25k machine to buy another 25k machine feels like a win in my book 🤣
I have both a pioneer and a KRX.tell ur dad to take the spring out of the primary clutch that will fix the high rpm at lower speeds .

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have the Talon X and I have my springs and valving done by G-Force Racing and Suspension technology in Johnson city Tennessee. It was a completely different machine after that. My wife has back problems and loves the ride and so do I. I do also have 32's and run them at 9-10 psi. I have considered a KRX as I am looking for an additional machine to add to the crew. The KRX guys are still doing some suspension work to theirs also. In my research for a new machine, there are just to many things that I don't like about KRX so far. Still trying to decide what to get. I have been looking at the Talon R, Pro Xp, KRX, or Can Am. I keep coming back to the Talon but it doesn't completely fit the bill I want out of this next machine but it is close!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know from everyone’s comments over last little bit the KRX will ride much better but my experience in a Talon was a heavy ass cooler in the rear fixed what I didn’t like. Can’t say I’d b**** about a machine actually liking a heavy cooler in the back lol.

D

DDDonkey

The KRX guys are still doing some suspension work to theirs also.

This is true, but most of us that are doing the suspension work is just replacing the tender springs, the stock ones sag pretty quick, but for $250 and an hour of time it is fixed. The KRX is a great machine but it is noisy, it is fun for fast trails and rock crawling. I prefer the Pioneer for the slower rides, and it has turf mode which is a plus. Every machine has its place, they're no perfect ones from the factory yet but the KRX, and Pioneer are pretty close for each ones intended use.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is true, but most of us that are doing the suspension work is just replacing the tender springs, the stock ones sag pretty quick, but for $250 and an hour of time it is fixed. The KRX is a great machine but it is noisy, it is fun for fast trails and rock crawling. I prefer the Pioneer for the slower rides, and it has turf mode which is a plus. Every machine has its place, they're no perfect ones from the factory yet but the KRX, and Pioneer are pretty close for each ones intended use.
If I could just take the positives from the KRX and Pioneer and blend them together, that would be the perfect machine for me.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
If I could just take the positives from the KRX and Pioneer and blend them together, that would be the perfect machine for me.
Exactly my thoughts....a KRX suspension geometry with Talon drivetrain....but with the right pistons for a Turbo and Bang the perfect machine!! Let's get to it and build one!!! 🤣

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I did the Bandit tenders , vast improvement . Then I had Weller Racing re-valve the shocks , HUGE IMPROVEMENT . I drove a friends twin (2019 x) with Shock Therapy s full set up and mine is better on rocks .
All this being said , if you do anything to yours , you're opening a big case of possible woop ass and a large ration of " I TOLD YOU SO s " if she doesn't love it . Happy wife ..... . If it were me I would tell her , good idea honey , I'll get you a KRX and I'll hold on to my Talon . Now that's a win win . Good luck .

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I would suggest Weller or G-force for suspension work and would suggest avoiding Shock Therapy. Both will have better results and better customer service than Shock Therapy. KRX is your other option.

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have the Talon X and I have my springs and valving done by G-Force Racing and Suspension technology in Johnson city Tennessee. It was a completely different machine after that. My wife has back problems and loves the ride and so do I. I do also have 32's and run them at 9-10 psi. I have considered a KRX as I am looking for an additional machine to add to the crew. The KRX guys are still doing some suspension work to theirs also. In my research for a new machine, there are just to many things that I don't like about KRX so far. Still trying to decide what to get. I have been looking at the Talon R, Pro Xp, KRX, or Can Am. I keep coming back to the Talon but it doesn't completely fit the bill I want out of this next machine but it is close!
After having this done, did it soften the ride over rocky terrain? Like I know nothing is going to completely remove the feeling of driving over rocks but the sharp hits and slams we experience are tiring.

I wish we wouldn't have gotten in that KRX this weekend. The Talon is my first SXS and I had nothing to compare it to.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
32" Tusk Terrabites. We have them at 12psi.
Perhaps try 6-8 psi, but the X is short travel and can’t compete with the long travel suspension ride of the Talon R or the KRX. From everything I’ve heard the KRX has a well designed rear geometry and is a very good riding machine, if perhaps heavier and in need of a turbo.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
After having this done, did it soften the ride over rocky terrain? Like I know nothing is going to completely remove the feeling of driving over rocks but the sharp hits and slams we experience are tiring.

I wish we wouldn't have gotten in that KRX this weekend. The Talon is my first SXS and I had nothing to compare it to.
Yes it completely changed the ride in every aspect. I don't feel I gave up any in the corners either....it handles them better and I like to corner fast and hard. I came from road course type built cars so I wanted my sxs to handle. I did also have Gary at G-Force change out the 3 position for a true hi/low compression adjustment....that is a big improvement over stock also as the stock 3 position setup is restrictive.

Reactions: Rednick69 and J80
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just buy the KRX to make her happy 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Noooo guarantee when her butt gets cooked and the noise is louder than the stereo can go! She’ll want the other one back! Or it will sit! And he’ll get the ole stink eye from the harry eyeball! 🦨🙈😂

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Noooo guarantee when her butt gets cooked and the noise is louder than the stereo can go! She’ll want the other one back! Or it will sit! And he’ll get the ole stink eye from the harry eyeball! 🦨🙈😂
ROTFLMAO……..

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I gave up on the KRX when it lost tank status. It does ride good but the loudness would get old after a few miles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!