P500 Nasty growl or "rocks in a box" noise on hard braking - HALP

jon1872

jon1872

Aug 25, 2019
ky
Ownership

1. 500
Mine has the same sound. I had read a lot of post talking about the noises so haven't worried about it.

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I spent an evening removing wheels and brake calipers to find....nothing. Pretty much like everyone said, it's the normal differential operation sound. I guess I just never really hit the brakes hard to notice this noise - but it is repeatable each time. Caliper was clean, pads were fine. Moving on!

While I was in there, I went ahead and removed the sway bar like people raved about. I guess my ass is too padded to notice a difference. Felt pretty much the same to me. What was I to be looking for? Maybe I counteracted some of it, because at the same time I bumped the rear-only shocks up one notch, as I do often carry heavy loads of firewood in the box and on a trailer.

Additionally, I remove the seatbelt limiter (so easy!). Definitely appreciate all the help on this forum!!! Because of y'all, I've done:
-Cut oil filter hole
-Order Trigger Noise Shield
-Adjust shocks
-Learn best way to remove rear brake
-Change differential oil to heavier wt
-Seat belt chime disable.

Look forward to wasting more money on real upgrades!!

Thanks all!

Reactions: trigger and 906UP
J

JayB8252

Jun 17, 2020
Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's "gear lash". A consequence of having the rear brake on the drive shaft. A slip and grip cycle that resonates in the tiny bits of slop in the components. Sounds like unwashed ass, but is completely normal.
Yup. My 2017 Rubicon Deluxe does this and has since day 1. I was quite concerned at first, but the dealership was able to fully explain it to me. It’s all good, and apparently totally normal.

Reactions: DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!