P500 Nasty growl or "rocks in a box" noise on hard braking - HALP

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Hello! First post - and glad I found this forum! Going to buy a rubber noise mat (if not too late from Trigger).

Anyways, hoping you can help a bit. I have a 2017 P500, about 500 miles on it. Had it since new, and it's had a fairly easy life, with just a little firewood hauling now and then.

The problem that just occurred is a really nasty growling/clunking/rocks in a box type rattle when braking quickly. Good example is I have a 1/4 mile drive to the mailbox, and I'll be going 25-30 mph, 5th gear. If I stop normally, it growls and makes a little noise. If I stop quickly (enthusiastic driving) it goes from a little noise to the much louder concerning noise I'm now hearing.

It's a new noise - just started a few days ago. I did the 75w-140 front and rear oil changes suggested here. While super easy, it didn't change anything.

Along with oil change, i've also verified there is nothing blocking the rotor or caliper (it's clear), and I've also washed off the dirt and grime (just in case) and also no different.

Can anyone help? Ideas to check?

Reactions: Isaiah and trigger
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have a closer look at your brake pads, sounds like at least one pad is gone and you're metal to metal. Shouldn't be at 500 miles but you never know.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Check the pads and for rocks or whatever stuck in the pads, but it's probably normal. 500 and 700 have very similar rear diffs, and this noise is common in the 700. 500 also does it, but not nearly as bad.

Reactions: trigger and CID
L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks, both. I'll take a much closer inspection with a mirror to the caliper and pads, and see what I can see. I'll update shortly.

DG - I'll also be doing your oil change cut-out. Thanks for passing on good tips!

Reactions: CID and trigger
L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Well, can't see jack in the rear - going to have a pull the caliper, and looks to be a PITA. Will do it in the next day or so. Will pull front wheels, looks to be easy just to see what I see...but I'd expect them to be fine. I will post back after I take a peek.

I totally get the the noisy diff - mine is noisy too, but this is redonkulus if from the rear end...

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
mine will do it from time to time mainly in 4wd and going down hill quickly and hitting brakes. I pulled all pads and replaced them even though they were in good shape. I mainly just gear down so i never investigated further.

Reactions: trigger and Isaiah
L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
KYhillbilly - Did you have any change after swapping your brake pads? I'm not fond of wasting time and bloodying knuckles for no reason...
But, this is strange. It's a new noise - never did it for the previous 2+ years, and then it just started. So strange.

Also, add another KY member. I'm down in BG, KY.

Reactions: GrnP500 and 100Acre
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Your sig(nature line) says Present: 2015 Pioneer 500, Past: 2014 Pioneer 700-4, needs an addition, doesn't it? 🤔
Ah...ok. These days I'm 95% on the phone, and in vertical mode the Sig's don't show. So I forget about them.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Starting at about 32 seconds...
Mine started making this noise too. I've already changed the pads in the front but not the rear.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine make the same noise going down grades! Could be the way the gears are cut in the rear diff? I'm living with it.

Reactions: trigger
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine make the same noise going down grades! Could be the way the gears are cut in the rear diff? I'm living with it.

Mine started making this noise too. I've already changed the pads in the front but not the rear.
It's "gear lash". A consequence of having the rear brake on the drive shaft. A slip and grip cycle that resonates in the tiny bits of slop in the components. Sounds like unwashed ass, but is completely normal.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!