P500 Skid Plate Install - Rivnuts or Self Tapping?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Which have you done? Regrets?

I've done self-tapping into the tube frame, a few of which keep pulling out. Then again, I hear the rivnuts can spin, bolts break as well.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I actually have a few self tapping screws in my skid but they are thicker than normal and have held up great for the last few years (on square tubing part)....on the round tube I through bolted the skids where accessible. I don't have a lot of experience with rivnuts so I'm no help there.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I actually have a few self tapping screws in my skid but they are thicker than normal and have held up great for the last few years (on square tubing part)....on the round tube I through bolted the skids where accessible. I don't have a lot of experience with rivnuts so I'm no help there.
Probably Tek Screws. They're hex headed and way stronger than a standard self tapper.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I just threaded the holes I drilled in the frame. I fully expected some of them to pull out by now since there aren't a whole lot of threads in that thin wall, but they surprisingly haven't.

My backup plan is rivnuts when they eventually let go. I'll probably tack them in place as well.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I used self tappers 6 years ago. Ive had to replace at least half of them with rivnuts. A few every year. I've had to drill out a few of the rivnuts and replace them with new rivnuts. I had to go 1 size bigger on one of them due to rust. I'm assuming before long they will all be junk. Those weld nuts are probably the best option.

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Probably Tek Screws. They're hex headed and way stronger than a standard self tapper.

🤔.
thanks, I'll look into those, not familiar . . .
I actually use #10 fine thread self tapping screws. I use them for commercial door hardware, I just happen to have them by the hundreds so it's what I use 🤷‍♂️.....#3 tip, I haven't had one come out yet. The screw head sinks into the Honda washer perfectly and doesn't really get beat on when it's rubbing on rocks and stuff. Probably have a half dozen or more like this. When my OEM bolts rust out or snap I just drive one of the self tappers in instead. Works for me 👍

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I actually use #10 fine thread self tapping screws. I use them for commercial door hardware, I just happen to have them by the hundreds so it's what I use 🤷‍♂️.....#3 tip, I haven't had one come out yet. The screw head sinks into the Honda washer perfectly and doesn't really get beat on when it's rubbing on rocks and stuff. Probably have a half dozen or more like this. When my OEM bolts rust out or snap I just drive one of the self tappers in instead. Works for me 👍

In the round tube framing...?

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've considered this...
I'm not too familiar with the P5s but on the P1K the round tube on the outer sides doesn't really have a lot of support and my aluminum skids at first had a little bit of tension so I didn't trust self tappers on the thin walled tubes. I've since sleeved/reinforced them but I already had the holes so I stuck with the through bolts. Those got nylon locking nuts.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In the round tube framing...?
It's just on the outside, the main part of the skid is bolted to boxed tubing.

20220514 233445

20220515 184432

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Green Goat is right; thin walls. Tighter threads sounds helpful...

Reactions: JenElio
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I used X nuts and applied gorilla glue to them.
Then I used stainless bolts with anti seize on them.

On a side note, I think the zink plated hardware that all OEMs use have a rare phenomena where in some small percentage of cases the plating corrodes in a way that makes the bolt seize.
In my now 30 years of experience I have only one data point where a bolt was put in at a known torque but broke off at a much higher torque on removal.
Of all the strange things I have needed to explain and make a fix for I have not (yet) figured this one out.
When I do, I will fix it.
In the mean time I have used stainless bolts in non critical areas on my personal buggy.
The stainless has its own issues so I do not use it on critical applications like suspension, drive train and engine parts.

Reactions: TripleB and futzin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!