BOX1

P500 Need Advise on taking a P500 to Moab

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
OK, out of all the great P500 owners on this site, has anyone of you taken your P500 to Moab?

Let me back-up here: my ATV group is headed to Moab this year on our 5 year cycle. This will be my 3rd trip out there, so I know what it is about. However, my previous 2 trips have been on my '86 TRX 250R. The majority of my group all ride sport quads, but over the last 5 years the utility quads and SxS's have infiltrated the group. Last Moab trip we had 6 sport quads and 3 utilities. This year there will be 2 Talon's, 1- YXZ1000SS, 1- 800 Ace, 1- P700, 4- utility quads and only 3 sport quads. I know my 250R inside-and-out and know exactly how it reacts on the rocks, but I am debating on having a different Moab experience and take my P500.

So I am stock, other than bumpers, winch and 26-inch Bear Claws on stock wheels. I have 4-point harness belts, just not installed right now (stock seat belt works better for my 5-year old passenger).

I am looking for your words of wisdom as to what I need to do to my P500 over the next 7 months to get it ready for Moab? I am considering wheel spacers and those new nerf bars. But what about a front locker or anything else? Or am I crazy for wanting to take my "tippy" machine out on the red rocks?

Hoping to hear from you guys that have been rock-crawling your P500.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morpheus
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I have been to Moab on a dirtbike and from what I road I would recommend widening the stance with 2 inch spaces. Skidplate for some of the more serious trails like Poison Spider or Top of the World Safari. I am going on the RimRocker ride with this forum the end of August and will have a day to ride local Moab trails, keep up advised on good moderate UTV trails.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You're going to Moab in August?!?!?!?! :oops: 💥🦞🌵 :oops: 🔥🦞🌵 :oops: 💥🦞🌵 :oops: 🔥🦞🌵 :oops: I'm a desert rat and just about cooked my nads in September in southern Utah (been going to southern Utah since 1972).

That said, with the 500's somewhat limited suspension travel (articulation), I think a locker would be a good idea and this would be a good excuse to justify it to yer Mrs/GF. :p Have fun, take pictures, post 'em here. 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You're going to Moab in August?!?!?!?! :oops: 💥🦞🌵 :oops: 🔥🦞🌵 :oops: 💥🦞🌵 :oops: 🔥🦞🌵 :oops:I'm a desert rat and just about cooked my nads in September in southern Utah (been going to southern Utah since 1972). Have fun, take pictures, post 'em here. 👍👍👍👍👍

That said, with the 500's somewhat limited suspension travel (articulation), I think a locker would be a good idea and this would be a good excuse to justify it to yer Mrs/GF. :p
DUGH!

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Well, we normally go late September to try and get lower temperatures. The first time my group went, they went out in mid October and got caught in a snow and ice storm while going up Eisenhower Pass. So the next 2 trips were in September to avoid that possibility. Out of the 7 days of riding, we usually have a couple in the upper 90's, but for the most part it is not bad in the high 80's - low 90's. You guys forget that us people from the swamps of Michigan deal with a heat index here - temp and humidity, so when the thermometer hits 90, there is usually 60% ~ 70% humidity, so it feels like about 99 - 100. When we travel out west to the dry states - a 90 degree day feels like about 78 or 80.

CID - we always camp on BLM property in Kane Creek Canyon. Over the years we have rode: Kane Creek Trail, Pritchett Canyon, Behind the Rocks, Chicken Corners, Hell's Revenge, Hey Joe Canyon, Metal Masher, Gemini Bridges, Widow Maker, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Cliff Hanger and probably a couple I am forgetting. So we have been around.

Here are a couple from 2011:
30  the group on the lead in trail to Kane Creek Canyon
66  Group stopped on one of the fingers of Chicken Corners trail

Last edited:
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you for your suggestions on the P5 mods. I was looking for what the best upgrade was vs. throwing it all at it. I just did the sway bar disconnect last night and the biggest thing I noticed was when hitting "chuck holes" in the hay field the impact was not felt through the entire chassis of the machine. Just felt the suspension taking the hit.

Wheel spacers were my first thought, for I could remove them to get the machine back to 50-inch for the ORV trails in Michigan. But the locker is a good point with the limited suspension travel, so when you reach that limit and pick up a wheel, you can keep traction.

Anything else anyone can think of that would help shy of long-travel / widening suspension kit?

R

Recarga

Jan 3, 2021
Dallas Tx
Ownership

1. 500
i am new to my P500 I use it for ranch work, fences, feed, carrying loads of water to my deer feeders ETC. I just came back from my place did a lot of fence work and filled my tanks of water and carry a whole bale of alfalfa, having said all this is not related to rock crawling by any means but having to go up and down of hills in south Texas i can tell you the most important thing on my list is POWER STEERING yes my friend and probably an upgrade on the rear shocks I had them on the stiffest settings and I can feel every single rock

I really like my P500 is the best machine I have ever had

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
After some deep thought, I think the addition of a locker, wheel spacers and better skid plates are the best option for getting it ready for Moab. Yes power steering and shocks would be awesome, but I cannot drop that kind of cash between now and September. Still need money for the trip to Moab as well as the week prior I have to do a 25th wedding anniversary trip. So no shock and EPS funds.

Hey can anyone point me at where I might be able to get a Choog box? I've been searching for the ordering info or thread but cannot seem to find it. Is Choog still around here?

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After some deep thought, I think the addition of a locker, wheel spacers and better skid plates are the best option for getting it ready for Moab. Yes power steering and shocks would be awesome, but I cannot drop that kind of cash between now and September. Still need money for the trip to Moab as well as the week prior I have to do a 25th wedding anniversary trip. So no shock and EPS funds.

Hey can anyone point me at where I might be able to get a Choog box? I've been searching for the ordering info or thread but cannot seem to find it. Is Choog still around here?
The choogs are not on here any longer. You can go directly to his website though. The link for it would automatically get removed, but it is the product name without any spaces followed by the dot com.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
OK, next question: wheel spacers - where can I order a set? Anyone and everyone that sells the Quadboss ones do not have any of the 4-110 M12x1.25 in stock, nor can tell you when they will have. Super ATV's 1.5" spacers are out of stock as well. Who and where else can I find 1.5" or 2" spacers with M12x1.25 studs in them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
OK, next question: wheel spacers - where can I order a set? Anyone and everyone that sells the Quadboss ones do not have any of the 4-100 M12x1.25 in stock, nor can tell you when they will have. Super ATV's 1.5" spacers are out of stock as well. Who and where else can I find 1.5" or 2" spacers with M12x1.25 studs in them?
I think you should be looking for 4/110 not 4/100 for a P5.

Reactions: trigger
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!