Need help deciding between 700-4 or 1000-5

T

Tx81cj

Jan 6, 2021
Tx
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looking for some guidance, I currently have. 2007 Rhino (last year with carburetor) And it has done everything I have ever asked of it. Have new grandbaby and wife says we need a bigger SxS. I live in East Texas and use it mainly on deer lease, but we like to ride in Colorado and Utah on vacations. We pull it behind our 5th wheel on vacations so I prefer the size/weight/cost of the 700-4 over the 1000-5. I also really like the simplicity of the 700. My concerns with the 700 are how loud it is and lack of power at elevation. When in mountains we just ride the roads and easy trails, no rock climbing, though we do like to go in higher elevations( 10,000+). Am I crazy for even considering a 700?

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for some guidance, I currently have. 2007 Rhino (last year with carburetor) And it has done everything I have ever asked of it. Have new grandbaby and wife says we need a bigger SxS. I live in East Texas and use it mainly on deer lease, but we like to ride in Colorado and Utah on vacations. We pull it behind our 5th wheel on vacations so I prefer the size/weight/cost of the 700-4 over the 1000-5. I also really like the simplicity of the 700. My concerns with the 700 are how loud it is and lack of power at elevation. When in mountains we just ride the roads and easy trails, no rock climbing, though we do like to go in higher elevations( 10,000+). Am I crazy for even considering a 700?
I think either will be fine. I know the 700 has had problems with higher evaluations but I don't know if they fixed that or not? I love my pioneer 1000 it does everything I need and you will probably appreciate the extra speed and power of the 1000 vs 700 on the roads. If it was me I would just get the 1000 and be done with it.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was talking to a guy at work yesterday about this same scenario. I have had both and if you can swing it the 1000 is a better machine all around. For me there are 3 things that set it apart from the 700. We live in a small town and use our machine to run around on the paved roads. The turf mode of the 1000 is a great plus. On our 700 we scrubbed the front tires very fast and had to change them out about 1000 miles. We have 3800+ on our 1000 and have probably 60-75 percent tread left. The second is the noise factor and to me this is all related to the extra gears of the 1000. Our 700 would shift to 2nd about 12 mph and to 3rd about 18. This meant that at any speed over 25 or so the engine was rapped up and quite abit louder then the 1000. We routinely cruise between 35-40 on gravel roads and the 1000 is barely pushing 4000 rpm. My third is what you are talking about at high elevations with the 700. I never had trouble climbing up steep or challenging routes, but my problem was with the lack of low range, you have to constantly ride the brakes when you are coming down. The 700 tries to hold back at about 8 mph or so, but without braking you will find yourself going alot faster then that. The one advantage I miss on the 700 is the park brake and usually I would find myself on steep hills pulling it down a few clicks to keep the speed in check. I'm sure everyone else will have a great opinion, but for my 2 cents the 1000 is a better machine hands down.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The P7 is known to have issues at elevations, the turf mode is well worth the additional cost in the P1. We use ours in the yard all the time. And around the cabin and home it doesn't tear up the yard. That's nice!!

advertisement
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We, my wife and I, test drove the 700 and felt very tipsy. Then drove 1000. Like night and day. Wife told me "get the 1000". This was an "ah ha" moment. My wife is very frugal, but when she said "buy it" I knew I'd better act NOW. Got a 2017 1000-3eps and have never looked back. Love it. Only real mod has been Talon reverse gears. In the mountains you can feel the difference when you HAVE to back up a hill (dead end). Glad I did it. Best of luck. You will be very dis-satisfied with the 700. I was really surprised at how unstable it is.

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!