P1000 Need help ordering rivet nuts

aleaddict

aleaddict

Lifetime Member
Jan 17, 2021
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm getting ready to install aux battery, busbar, switch plate... you know the drill. Anyway, for those who are familiar with rivet nuts, what is the standard size nuts and material thickness for plastic surfaces? I'm thinking 10-32 for general mounting purposes but McM sells these in two flavors: .020-.175" and .175-.320". I haven't mic'd anything but I can't imagine the plastic being thicker than 0.175"

Also, bonus question: what tool do I need in order to anchor these nuts to the plastic bodywork? McM sells a wrench-driven tool for 30 bucks. Or, will a DIY tool using 10-32 bolt, nut and 2 washers do the trick (as seen on YT)? Many thanks!
McMaster rivet nuts

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm getting ready to install aux battery, busbar, switch plate... you know the drill. Anyway, for those who are familiar with rivet nuts, what is the standard size nuts and material thickness for plastic surfaces? I'm thinking 10-32 for general mounting purposes but McM sells these in two flavors: .020-.175" and .175-.320". I haven't mic'd anything but I can't imagine the plastic being thicker than 0.175"

Also, bonus question: what tool do I need in order to anchor these nuts to the plastic bodywork? McM sells a wrench-driven tool for 30 bucks. Or, will a DIY tool using 10-32 bolt, nut and 2 washers do the trick (as seen on YT)? Many thanks!
View attachment 278132
Rough Country sells a good tool, you will want one before you get started. I’ll have to look at which nut-serts I bought.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 278132
I’d go with the .020-.175 rivnuts. The plastic is only 1/8” thick. The homemade tool should work fine on the dash as there is plenty of room for stacking flat washers nuts and spacers. The only problem will be finding a tough enough fully threaded 10-32 bolt. Use at least a grade 5 bolt and go slowly until the rivnut starts expanding.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!