Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I still say before you pull the final trigger on a unit look up the Magellan. There are cheaper units but it is sweet and will work awesome in areas there aren’t thousands of riders.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Using the Ram mount on my iPad. Have the one with the 4 arms as well, but tried this one and really like it so far

I like the idea of lifetime, but I ride local and WV, no one has anything for my local trails, and I can get WV for free in on iPad so doesn’t make sense to pay that much for maps. I also have a 7” Lenovo tablet I put WV maps on. Don’t use that one much but I keep it updated and bring it as a spare.

5B21490D 04FF 4BF2 95F4 EFC3DE3DD7FD

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you don’t ride a lot of the areas that LT has already loaded I wouldn’t pay for his mapping. You can just use Orux maps and have the same interface. Then you load gpx or kml files of where you do ride or just go ride and make your own mapping. I have the LT maps but I bought them when his prices weren’t so high and with the understanding he was going to expand his maps in my area with all the tracks sent to him. He never has done that and he keeps increasing his pricing. It’s getting a little out there now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live in Louisiana and ride in Louisiana and Arkansas. LT website doesn't list any trails/maps around my area.
I'm still weighing my options also.

Reactions: sharp and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Looked at the TRX7 like it has map installed and can add your own trails

I read the reviews on it and it said for off road use that it didn't have any more maps than an app on your phone. For on road use it would direct you to turn into a lake or apt bldg. I always look at where the company is from and Magellan is out of southern CA., Might be wrong but I'll assume they're better for west coast maps.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I read the reviews on it and it said for off road use that it didn't have any more maps than an app on your phone. For on road use it would direct you to turn into a lake or apt bldg. I always look at where the company is from and Magellan is out of southern CA., Might be wrong but I'll assume they're better for west coast maps.
I’m not sure about where all trails are located but there are 160k. We’ve never seen anything documented around here at all especially because most aren’t marked trails but some that hadn’t been used in years showed. I was throughly impressed. It got us back out one time we were totally lost in the thickets.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looked at the TRX7 like it has map installed and can add your own trails
As soon as you hit the button it’ll map new trail, gives you a quick chart for difficulty level, type of terrain, 2wd/4wd, washouts etc. we have added a few of our own made trails and named them,it’s so simple to do.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I’m not sure about where all trails are located but there are 160k. We’ve never seen anything document around here at all especially because most aren’t marked trails but some that hadn’t been used in years showed. I was throughly impressed. It got us back out one time we were totally lost in the thickets.

That was the other thing it said is that it was difficult to navigate. I'll give it another look though. Especially seeing this LT Chris dude isn't calling me back...patience is not one of my virtues! :mad:

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well finally got ahold of Chris from LT. He gave me a lot of good info. Looks like I'll be getting the 8" waterproof tablet. Said it comes with a silicone type case on it. Also told me that RAM makes a powered mount for it, little pricey but BA. I like the idea of having the mount hardwired. Gotta shop for a good screen protector too.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well finally got ahold of Chris from LT. He gave me a lot of good info. Looks like I'll be getting the 8" waterproof tablet. Said it comes with a silicone type case on it. Also told me that RAM makes a powered mount for it, little pricey but BA. I like the idea of having the mount hardwired. Gotta shop for a good screen protector too.
I am running the Ram mount intelliskin mount/case. I don't know if it is my USB charger, or the interface, but it will use battery faster than I can charge it.
The nice part is my mount is a locking cradle. So I changed the knob on my arm to a security style. Lock the tablet in place and everything is safe. I could be stolen, but would make a bunch of noise trying to getit out.

P

Pan

Apr 9, 2016
Gorham NH 03581
Hey Guys, looking at getting a new GPS. I have a Garmin Montana that does everything I need it to do, has VV Mapping with like 13 states loaded into it but it's just too small. I can still read it but have to stop to really get a good look at it and would rather have something bigger that I can just glance at. I'm thinking a 7" would be perfect, any bigger would be too much in a P5. Spoke to Jeremy at VV Mapping and asked if his software could be loaded onto a tablet and he said not yet they're working on that. He said they do have maps for the Lowrance but I've read mixed reviews. Looked at the Megellan, reviews say it's a POS. Good ones for off road purpose are north of $1k. Kind of skeptical on using a tablet, is it at all waterproof, can it handle the shock? Remember a thread last year where a vendor had tablets preloaded with maps but were those only the southern states? Can it be hardwired in? Looking to use my RAM mount that's already installed on the dash.
Just looking for some direction with what others are using. Don't mind spending some coin if it's worth it. I can research and read reviews forever but figured I'd ask guys that are using these like I would in real world conditions. Any and all advice is appreciated.

P

Pan

Apr 9, 2016
Gorham NH 03581
I am running the Ram mount intelliskin mount/case. I don't know if it is my USB charger, or the interface, but it will use battery faster than I can charge it.
The nice part is my mount is a locking cradle. So I changed the knob on my arm to a security style. Lock the tablet in place and everything is safe. I could be stolen, but would make a bunch of noise trying to getit out.
Hey Guys, looking at getting a new GPS. I have a Garmin Montana that does everything I need it to do, has VV Mapping with like 13 states loaded into it but it's just too small. I can still read it but have to stop to really get a good look at it and would rather have something bigger that I can just glance at. I'm thinking a 7" would be perfect, any bigger would be too much in a P5. Spoke to Jeremy at VV Mapping and asked if his software could be loaded onto a tablet and he said not yet they're working on that. He said they do have maps for the Lowrance but I've read mixed reviews. Looked at the Megellan, reviews say it's a POS. Good ones for off road purpose are north of $1k. Kind of skeptical on using a tablet, is it at all waterproof, can it handle the shock? Remember a thread last year where a vendor had tablets preloaded with maps but were those only the southern states? Can it be hardwired in? Looking to use my RAM mount that's already installed on the dash.
Just looking for some direction with what others are using. Don't mind spending some coin if it's worth it. I can research and read reviews forever but figured I'd ask guys that are using these like I would in real world conditions. Any and all advice is appreciated.
I have a Montana also and purchased the Topo CD and installed it on my computer. When I come home I download the Montana track onto my computer and hit print. It prints me a map of where I've been. Also if you plug in a power cable on the Montana the light stays on. I zoom in to max and don't have a problem seeing the screen. I also use the RAM MOUNT system but remove my GPS when I walk away from my machine when in a crowd. Works very well for me in Northern NH

Doug_Jones

Doug_Jones

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2018
Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use an iPad Mini 4 on a ram mount running the Avenza app

Reactions: trigger and sharp
Jeff_Draper

Jeff_Draper

Stringbean
Lifetime Member
May 24, 2018
Fairview TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use Gaia IPhone-IPad App on one of each.
Found the GPX file to the entire North Cumberland WMA trail system and uploaded it.
It lets me track, assign way points, navigate to waypoints with average speed, time to distance, elevation, ascension over time, and compass direction.
Mounting it with a RAM 1.5 ball connected to a VESA mounted tablet grip.
I like the big screen as the older I get, the harder it is to see.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Pictures?

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Thinking about the Avenza Map App, ... free app, free USFS MVUM's (literally 100's of trails) ... 7" tablet with GPS but need a mounting suggestion. Anyone a fan of Avenza?, ... anyone with a mounting suggestion?

Reactions: sharp
Zax185

Zax185

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2018
Montgomery, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use Gaia IPhone-IPad App on one of each.
Found the GPX file to the entire North Cumberland WMA trail system and uploaded it.
It lets me track, assign way points, navigate to waypoints with average speed, time to distance, elevation, ascension over time, and compass direction.
Mounting it with a RAM 1.5 ball connected to a VESA mounted tablet grip.
I like the big screen as the older I get, the harder it is to see.

I use the IOS Scenic Map app on my iPad and wonder if the GPX file you have has more trails then the files I have or have created. Do you mind sharing location of the file?

Reactions: TimG

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!