P1000 Needing some insight into replacing front prop shaft.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had been noticing a little bit of a vibration on acceleration and found that the rear joints (at the sub trans) has a good bit of play in it. It's a 2016 Pioneer 1k5. I have a Rhino complete front prop shaft that got delivered from SuperATV this week sitting at home waiting for me to get done truckin for the week so I can install it. Finally a weekend where I don't have to turn wrenches on the semi so I can turn them on the Honda. Can anyone tell me what the easiest way to remove and reinstall the shaft will be. What all needs to be removed for the task at hand? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

H

HondaTech

Slide the differential forward and it'll come off the sub trans. You should be able to pull it out of the diff and slide it out the front.

Don't remove anything from the differential, just unbolt it, take the 2 front brackets off and pull it up.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Slide the differential forward and it'll come off the sub trans. You should be able to pull it out of the diff and slide it out the front.

Don't remove anything from the differential, just unbolt it, take the 2 front brackets off and pull it up.
Right on. Was kinda thinking that would need to happen. Is it pinned or snap ring held onto the front diff input shaft?

Reactions: Rayger143
Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the front prop shaft switched out this weekend. Not too bad of a project really. Only problem I really had was getting the new shaft started onto the front diff input shaft. It kept wanting to catch and bind up on the spring that goes over the input shaft that provides pressure. Man the Rhino prop shaft is a monster compared to the OEM Honda one!

20220723 113241 20220723 113300

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That RHINO Shaft looks like it uses CV joints, instead of regular cross type U-Joints. That would go a long way to smoothing out and quietening down the front drive of the P1K.

Reactions: Ericseabaugh
Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That RHINO Shaft looks like it uses CV joints, instead of regular cross type U-Joints. That would go a long way to smoothing out and quietening down the front drive of the P1K.
Rhino makes both, one with regular U-joints and this one pictured with cv joints. And yes it makes a huge difference in smoothing and quieting down the front. Unbelievable really! Little bit pricey, but what isn't anymore. Definitely very well built and heavy duty. I would highly recommend switching to this if you have a joint going out on your stock shaft vs replacing the joints with new stock ones.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rhino makes both, one with regular U-joints and this one pictured with cv joints. And yes it makes a huge difference in smoothing and quieting down the front. Unbelievable really! Little bit pricey, but what isn't anymore. Definitely very well built and heavy duty. I would highly recommend switching to this if you have a joint going out on your stock shaft vs replacing the joints with new stock ones.
Good to know and appreciate the reply. Mine is getting a bit noisy and starting to vibrate under load. I am sure that when I replace mine, it will be with the CV Type driveshaft.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to know and appreciate the reply. Mine is getting a bit noisy and starting to vibrate under load. I am sure that when I replace mine, it will be with the CV Type driveshaft.
That is exactly how mine started. Noticed a little bit of a different noise first, not long after started to notice a bit of a vibration, like you say it was really only under acceleration or a load. Once you change it you'll realize how much vibration that there actually was.

Reactions: Smitty335
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at SATVs site and the only front driveshaft I saw under Pioneer 1000-5 was the CV version(?)

Not in the market, just wondering what the cost difference was.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at SATVs site and the only front driveshaft I saw under Pioneer 1000-5 was the CV version(?)

Not in the market, just wondering what the cost difference was.
You sir are correct! When you put in our machine it loads the next page which has you pick between cv style and U-Joint style. I didn't even check the U-Joint style because I knew I didn't want one. Just tried it and product is not available for your machine pops up. Thank you for clearing that up I should have checked before posting. 🤷‍♂️

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!