P1000 Front end squeak

HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Mar 31, 2017
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I came in from quail hunting, almost to the house, front end developed some weird squeak. I isolated it to the right front side. It happens when rocking the machine and turning the wheel.

Tried the easy solution first, swapped front shocks to see if the noise would follow the shock. Put white lithium grease in the shock lollipops and on the outer surface of bushing. Nope, still there.

With the right shock off, and up on a jack, I tried moving the front wheel and turning it, no noise.

Reinstalled shock, tried different torque on the shock nuts until back to 47 pounds, no joy.

I have searched, and most talk about injecting grease into ball joints/tie rod end. I dont know if that is just a band aid, but not too crazy with that idea.

Machine is stock except for the Rough Country M1's, 2400 miles.

Any other thoughts before I tear it apart and start replacing joints?

Reactions: TxDoc
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So I came in from quail hunting, almost to the house, front end developed some weird squeak. I isolated it to the right front side. It happens when rocking the machine and turning the wheel.

Tried the easy solution first, swapped front shocks to see if the noise would follow the shock. Put white lithium grease in the shock lollipops and on the outer surface of bushing. Nope, still there.

With the right shock off, and up on a jack, I tried moving the front wheel and turning it, no noise.

Reinstalled shock, tried different torque on the shock nuts until back to 47 pounds, no joy.

I have searched, and most talk about injecting grease into ball joints/tie rod end. I dont know if that is just a band aid, but not too crazy with that idea.

Machine is stock except for the Rough Country M1's, 2400 miles.

Any other thoughts before I tear it apart and start replacing joints?
Have you tried some spray lube on all the joints and shock mounts?

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
🤔 Just the other day!
Check them A arm welding bracket's and the arm bushings. Remove them and check. Dont just spray oil in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayger143 and TxDoc
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was very sqeaky a couple years ago and I found it was in the control arm bushings and bolts. I just kept spraying them with some spray silicone ( Im sure not recommended but it worked), and it eventually quieted down. Mine was after a long winter plowing snow so I think they just got a little corroded and rusted.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Mar 31, 2017
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, no joy on figuring out what it is.

With the machine on the ground, I was able to determine that the noise IS coming from around the outboard side, somewhere in the knuckle.

I put the front end up on jack stands with the wheel off. I had the shock bolts installed, ran a cargo strap between the two to keep it hanging without stressing the CV joints. Both ball joints feel tight. The tie rod end doesn't seem to have any movement either, other than the play in the steering box. I tried rocking the suspension around while it was hanging, no noise at all. The welded on frame brackets looked good, no obvious cracks.

I guess I need to figure out if I want to tear it apart or just take it to the dealership. I am in the middle of gutting the rear suspension of my 73 Vette, and dont know if I feel like 2 projects right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coeus
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, no joy on figuring out what it is.

With the machine on the ground, I was able to determine that the noise IS coming from around the outboard side, somewhere in the knuckle.

I put the front end up on jack stands with the wheel off. I had the shock bolts installed, ran a cargo strap between the two to keep it hanging without stressing the CV joints. Both ball joints feel tight. The tie rod end doesn't seem to have any movement either, other than the play in the steering box. I tried rocking the suspension around while it was hanging, no noise at all. The welded on frame brackets looked good, no obvious cracks.

I guess I need to figure out if I want to tear it apart or just take it to the dealership. I am in the middle of gutting the rear suspension of my 73 Vette, and dont know if I feel like 2 projects right now.
While up in the air, take the shocks off and move the arms up and down. Might hear the noise then. Better yet tho, remove the Aarm and inspect the bushings and bolts where it mounts to the frame. Hard to know till u have it apart. Dont take it to the dealer, might as well bend over and do an about face then🤣

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!