Talon Nerf bars or skids with built in sliders

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to pull the trigger on a set of skids for my Talon and would like some feed back. My biggest debate is whether to buy skid plates like Trail Armour and Factory UTV have with the built in sliders or buy SATVs skids and add nerf bars....what do you all recommend? Thanks

Reactions: Plumber32
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I like nerf bars. Helps keep the machine away fro mm obstacles. I have the Honda bars.
6AEE6411 F700 45D9 8B41 C976B74F220F

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Looking to pull the trigger on a set of skids for my Talon and would like some feed back. My biggest debate is whether to buy skid plates like Trail Armour and Factory UTV have with the built in sliders or buy SATVs skids and add nerf bars....what do you all recommend? Thanks
Full undercarriage skids and nerf bars if u ride like we do haha.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Screenshot 20191104 224745 Chrome
I don’t believe you can do both....
Yeah I'm debating one or the other. Looking for reviews of the Trail Armour or Factory UTV rock slider built into their skid plate, like this or should I just buy center skids and do nerf bars????

Reactions: ohanacreek
Oilfieldtrash

Oilfieldtrash

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am leaning towards the 1/2" skid plate and then some sliders like the honda ones shown above. I was thinking about not doing the honda tree kickers, but the trails we ride I like the idea of keeping the trees further off the body. The 1/2" skid plate that wraps around won't quite do it I don't think.

Reactions: Rambo
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If u ride rocks u will want all the underbelly protection u can get. If u ride rocks and off chamber u will also want some wheel offset and possibly nerfs to keep the body off rocks, trees and banks. 1/2" if u plan on using the belly to slide over rocks. 3/8 if its just a fail safe or easier going.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
Oilfieldtrash

Oilfieldtrash

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon X
If u ride rocks u will want all the underbelly protection u can get. If u ride rocks and off chamber u will also want some wheel offset and possibly nerfs to keep the body off rocks, trees and banks. 1/2" if u plan on using the belly to slide over rocks. 3/8 if its just a fail safe or easier going.

I saw they offer a thin aluminum plate to sandwhich between the frame and the plastic. I wasn't sure if that would be necessary or not. I think the 1/2" is good insurance for the extra $90 it takes to buy it vs 3/8". Plus I found a code for I think $20 off the skid plate on a RZR forum.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
View attachment 164565
Yeah I'm debating one or the other. Looking for reviews of the Trail Armour or Factory UTV rock slider built into their skid plate, like this or should I just buy center skids and do nerf bars????
This is the kit I'm going with before [HASHTAG]#takeover2020[/HASHTAG]

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw they offer a thin aluminum plate to sandwhich between the frame and the plastic. I wasn't sure if that would be necessary or not. I think the 1/2" is good insurance for the extra $90 it takes to buy it vs 3/8". Plus I found a code for I think $20 off the skid plate on a RZR forum.
Yeah Factory UTV offers an aluminum plate they call "X brace" that goes on the back section under the motor. You put it on first then the 1/2 inch skid. Adds $200 bucks

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Don't hesitate to call them up and ask for a club discount. I like everything about Trail Armour's kit except the trailing arm guards, not a fan of how they mount....
Me too, I'm not using self tappers on my rig

P

Paul419

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

3. Talon R LV
I like the look of the Factory UTV fit better than the Trail Armour but not sure it is worth the extra money. From what I have read you have to dril

Attachments

• 1.) Honda Talon 1000 X-R UHMW ULTIMATE PACKAGE v3.1.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 223
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No drilling with the Ricochet skids....pricey but they look like they're worth it.
Honda Talon 1000X

strubby

strubby

Jan 9, 2020
Central FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Hey guys, wanted to revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Looking to do protection first on my R and wonder about using nerf bars and full skids together. Has anyone successfully used Trail Armor or Factory UTV skids with built in a sliders and nerfs? I know it would require modification.

If that's not an option, do the OEM Honda or SATV nerfs hang low enough to act as a slider where the kick panels aren't covered by the skid plate?

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I ended up going with the Factory UTV 1/2 inch skids. I got the ultimate package, so front and rear a arm guards, trailing arm guards and the rock sliders.....
Installation was fairly easy, the front a arm guards and rock sliders took a little persuasion from a floor jack.
My only complaint with this set up is protection on the front cv boots. I wish the a arm guards came up higher like the ones Honda offers.
My first trip out resulted in a stick wedged in between my axle boot and a arm, could have been prevented with better coverage.
I have trail armour on my pioneer so comparing the two, they both are high quality and fit nicely to the machines. The main reason I went with Factory UTV on the Talon was how the trailing guards mounted. ( no self tapping srews!)

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
Trail Armour for my X4. No rules saying you have to buy the same brand trailing arm guards. I'm not worried about trailing arm damage. They'll get scratched and look bad. About the same as looking bad because they have gaurds attached. I love the built in rock sliders. I'm real big on rock crawling. Dont want tubes hanging up on stuff. I dont feel the need for tree kickers, even with larger offset wheels. I might need to pay more attention in tight spots, but that's okay.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
My Trail Armor 1/2” full skid with side guards will be delivered tomorrow. I decided to go with Trail Armor because a buddy of mine runs this setup on his RZR and it’s impressive in its build quality durability and looks. Before I bought the Talon I had a RZR with SSS 3/8” skid and painted steel Polaris rock sliders, but the steel sliders show scars from rocks etc and the heavy UHMW skid material doesn’t show scratches and won’t dent! Cost for steel rock sliders is about the same as adding the UHMW side protection to the Trail Armor skid.

View attachment 203521 E8DAB078 82CE 4615 9CB4 B62674FA9725

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!