New Forum Feature - Lock threads after one year of inactivity.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
New forum feature.
Threads will lock after one year of no activity.
Start a new thread, or a moderator can make a post, which re-activates the thread.

Do you think 1 year is a good window?

I will make adjustments to build threads if need be.
Thanks.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Good and bad, I'd say.

It will certainly reduce the number of "Dang, you sure dragged this one out of the dust bin" posts, but that will greatly reduce @Remington's overall post count ... :oops: It could also result in people asking the same questions that may likely have been answered in the original post. Then again, maybe it will give @Remington a new outlet, asking people to "use the SEARCH" to find the old thread ... 😄

Question: Will this affect people's build threads? I believe I have seen folks update their own build threads more than a year after their own last post there.

One year of inactivity sounds like a decent number.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It happens so rarely that it's almost irrelevant IMO. Even though old, I've learned from resurrected threads before someone brought up their antiquity. Old threads help us 'newbs' learn a little site history.

One of the best mods that have been made was to allow editing old posts 'forever' so we can keep that post up to date. I frequently update old posts in the New Talon Owners thread to keep up with new information. When I do that, I'll add a post saying that there's new info in post #xx, then after a week or two, I'll delete that info post. It keeps the thread from getting full of useless update posts.

One man's opinion, one vote -

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally, I like that an old thread can be brought up again. It allows a thought or an issue to be revisited.

Certainly in the case of an instructional thread, we want to be able to go in and let readers know when there was a part change or something (perhaps the edit window is still open, though...) but still, for a guy to be able to ask for clarification on something is valuable.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
New forum feature.
Threads will lock after one year of no activity.
Start a new thread, or a moderator can make a post, which re-activates the thread.

Do you think 1 year is a good window?

I will make adjustments to build threads if need be.
Thanks.

View attachment 413467
Sounds like Communism to me.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Is there a site reason to lock an old thread or are you just trying to shut @Remington up? :p
Nope, not really.
I thought I had seen a few ppl complaining of old threads popping back up.

If you don't want it.. then we won't have it.
I can change it to just a "old thread notice" vs locking.

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not a fan of closing threads. On forums I have added information about the topic so that it gets archived in one place. If I do it, I always say 'sorry for late reply, but the answer is XYZ.' I know there is the option to contact a moderator, but if that's the option, I'll probably just skip it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is there a site reason to lock an old thread or are you just trying to shut @Remington up? :p
It will certainly reduce the number of "Dang, you sure dragged this one out of the dust bin" posts, but that will greatly reduce @Remington's overall post count ... :oops: It could also result in people asking the same questions that may likely have been answered in the original post. Then again, maybe it will give @Remington a new outlet, asking people to "use the SEARCH" to find the old thread ... 😄
Im off a few days taking care personal family matters, come back and shots fired! 🤣😂

Now, you feel the way ya’ll feel. But 99% of the time if you actually read what I respond to and look into it, Its a majority of the time from a newbie. They dont know how (that is fine BTW) to look up/at the OP or the post date or whoever they are responding to (half the time we dont know who they are responding to either🤣)
When they where LAST ON so they probably wont get an answer from them. Every once in a great while someone else has that answer at which is a good thing. What I tell them is to hopefully help them in the future and its not too demean them like im sure butthurt individuals may think Im doing. (Sorry i have no filter🤣) I do like to throw some forum banter in there as well. If im over the line, Im sure A moderator, its happened before but not often will tell me to cool my jets.
But If it makes ya’ll happy I can just let you explain it to these folks.l

As for locking it up after a year? Id say yes if the OP hasn't been on the forum since then.
If they have, stretch it out another 6 months. But that might be too much to monitor. In the end its not my decision anyway.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Notification that it's an older thread sounds good. I don't like the ideal it being automatically locked, though.

And who complained because an old thread was brought up? Have a bran muffin and relax...

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Im off a few days taking care personal family matters, come back and shots fired! 🤣😂
Did you expect anything less? :D
If im over the line, Im sure A moderator, its happened before but not often will tell me to cool my jets.
But If it makes ya’ll happy I can just let you explain it to these folks.l
I was just rattling your chain! Absolutely NOTHING negative was meant or implied. Personally, I see nothing wrong with what you do with those situations and posts. In fact, I think they are funny as hell!
As for locking it up after a year? Id say yes if the OP hasn't been on the forum since then.
If they have, stretch it out another 6 months. But that might be too much to monitor. In the end its not my decision anyway.
It's likely just a vBulletin add-on that will look at the most recent post in each thread and lock it if the post date is greater than the period the admin configured it for. I doubt it will support multiple conditions, such as (LAST_POST >= 365 days AND OP_LAST_LOGIN >= 6 months).

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!