New here on the forum but....

crawdad62

crawdad62

Apr 6, 2022
Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
Hi. New guy here to gain a bit of knowledge and insight into these. I'm a 60 yr. old retired firefighter. I own 5 acres of mostly heavily wooded property and I have a 600' paved drive that I keep plowed. Those are my main needs for a SXS. A few years ago I bought a Polaris 570 Sportsman. I had always been a Honda guy but the "more bang for your buck" Polaris won me over. I regretted it. Don't get me wrong the Polaris never let me down but you can just see how it's just not fit and finished like a Honda. Now I realize that most of my use involves carrying things to do things. I've always got a chainsaw or two, fuel, saws and loppers etc. Stuff that I have to strap down that I could put in the bed of a SXS.

So here we are. I want a 520. That's all I need. But this whole thing is a huge bummer. I've never even seen a Pioneer let alone drive one. There's not a dealer around that has one. I don't really need to persuaded to buy one but I would like to at least look at one before putting money down to get one. What's the lead time when ordering? I'm assuming that since there's more demand than product there's very letting negotiating power?

Anyway. I guess I can look around and live vicariously. Thanks.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi. New guy here to gain a bit of knowledge and insight into these. I'm a 60 yr. old retired firefighter. I own 5 acres of mostly heavily wooded property and I have a 600' paved drive that I keep plowed. Those are my main needs for a SXS. A few years ago I bought a Polaris 570 Sportsman. I had always been a Honda guy but the "more bang for your buck" Polaris won me over. I regretted it. Don't get me wrong the Polaris never let me down but you can just see how it's just not fit and finished like a Honda. Now I realize that most of my use involves carrying things to do things. I've always got a chainsaw or two, fuel, saws and loppers etc. Stuff that I have to strap down that I could put in the bed of a SXS.

So here we are. I want a 520. That's all I need. But this whole thing is a huge bummer. I've never even seen a Pioneer let alone drive one. There's not a dealer around that has one. I don't really need to persuaded to buy one but I would like to at least look at one before putting money down to get one. What's the lead time when ordering? I'm assuming that since there's more demand than product there's very letting negotiating power?

Anyway. I guess I can look around and live vicariously. Thanks
welcome from Ohio. this is the best forum with the greatest people. can't go wrong with a Honda. look in the 500 thread you will see pictures of others 500/520 buggys Honda Pioneer 500/520 Forum

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. I am partial to a Pioneer 1000 for our use , we haul things like sacks of horsefeed, hay, pull a chipper/ shredder, haul chain saw,pole saw,weed eater,pull a trailer and we love the power and room. If you drive on the grass much it also has a Turf-Saver selection, i.e. Same as a single wheel pull on the differential so when you turn it doesn't tear up the lawn.I came from an 07-660 Rhino. Night and day difference.Hopefully you find one soon.
#NTC

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Oklahoma and welcome to the club.

You are right that there is limited negotiating with dealers right now, and it will probably be that way for a while. If you find one at a dealer, they may cut you a better deal on any acessories that you might want to add on, and thats probably the best you could hope for. You might broaden your search to include the P500 too, since there is really no difference in durablility or performance. The dump bed vs the rear rack obiviously, but many here have configured their rack on the P500 to suit their needs. You could take a look at this thread: P500 - Post your rear rack or box. Pics.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan!

Yes everything said above is true. Id also broaden my search to a P700 as well. Call around to dealers even on the next state over to see if any have one. Dont be afraid to make a small road trip. To get any Pioneer now a days you need to go out and make a push to get it. Good luck!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Find some 500/520 members in your area. Shoot em a message. Most of us are willing and would be giddy if someone wanted to come over and check out our machines. Might even give our wives a break from our addiction.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Anyway. I guess I can look around and live vicariously. Thanks.
Welcome from NW Arkansas, yep there handier than a pocket on a shirt!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Welcome from da U.P. I 2nd @Neohio suggestion, post a message in the P500 section and I'll bet you'll find someone close-ish that'll let you come check it out.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club from East Tennessee.
Here is a suggestion that is probably impractical... Look on this forum for the pioneer takeover and maybe take a trip down to Tennessee. There will be every version that Honda makes there and I'm sure just about any one you ask would be more than happy to show theirs off.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I agree with those who posted suggestions above to start a new thread asking a member near you to allow you to examine and take a test drive in his or her buggy.

Someone will see your post and invite you to visit if you're willing to drive the distance.

crawdad62

crawdad62

Apr 6, 2022
Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
Welcome from Mississippi. I am partial to a Pioneer 1000 for our use , we haul things like sacks of horsefeed, hay, pull a chipper/ shredder, haul chain saw,pole saw,weed eater,pull a trailer and we love the power and room. If you drive on the grass much it also has a Turf-Saver selection, i.e. Same as a single wheel pull on the differential so when you turn it doesn't tear up the lawn.I came from an 07-660 Rhino. Night and day difference.Hopefully you find one soon.
#NTC
Hey thanks everyone. I wasn't getting an email that people had responded so I thought there wasn't any. They were going to junk. Anyway I appreciate all the advice and welcomes. I'm going to reach out to a few people and see if they know anyone with a Pioneer. This one response is something that caught my eye. Specifically the Turf-Mode. The 500/520's don't have that correct? That was one of the selling points to me about the Rangers. Their 570 does have a Turf-Mode. I really wish they had it on the smaller ones.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What I found was the seating position and gas/brake pedals were very uncomfortable and non adjustable. You actually have to hold your knee up in the air to work the gas pedal. Make sure you try one before you commit.

I wound up buying a Yamaha Wolverine, no contest but no turf mode.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmmm, crawdad…
1. Are you a dad?
2. Are you so old you feel the need to crawl?
3. Is it the Polaris ownership thing that ;
A. Makes your skin crawl?
B. Makes you crawl because it’s stuck in 1st gear and on fire?
4. You just happen to like crawdads?
5. Why Crawdad and not Crawlfish?
A. Is it because you’re a man and not a woman? (there are only two genders unless you identify as peanut butter or as a gnome)(or both)…
B. It’s a regional thing?
C. Is it because you like miniature freshwater lobsters and while no one is looking you like to secretly dress up as a Crustacean and play eat the dead whale at the bottom of the ocean game?

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey thanks everyone. I wasn't getting an email that people had responded so I thought there wasn't any. They were going to junk. Anyway I appreciate all the advice and welcomes. I'm going to reach out to a few people and see if they know anyone with a Pioneer. This one response is something that caught my eye. Specifically the Turf-Mode. The 500/520's don't have that correct? That was one of the selling points to me about the Rangers. Their 570 does have a Turf-Mode. I really wish they had it on the smaller ones.
I think of the 3 Pioneers only the 1000 has the turf-mode.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!