P1000 New Honda Cab Heater 0SE08-HL4-A00

P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spent the last few days installing the cab heater in my new 22 P1K5 Trail, a vary tedious install. Along with the cab heater I also had to purchase the Honda Fuse Box, Fuse Box Wiring Kit and Fuse Box Bracket.
Upon completion I started up the buggy and got it hot to circulate the coolant and to top it off. I then wired the New Fuse Box to a secondary battery, temporarily, until I get my battery isolator from the club store. Figured I would just need power to check out the heater fan and controls. I found the “trigger” connector under the “blue” tape just aft of the stock battery. I connected the trigger wire to the new fuse box onto the “trigger” connection, Plugged in the power lead from the heater to “aux 1” on the fuse box, when I turned on the ignition key and then turned on the heater blower nothing happened!👎 I changed the heater power lead to several other connections on the fuse box and Nothing!👎👎 So for troubleshooting I checked all 8 10 amp fuses in the new fuse box, all okay. Next I checked all the fuses in the buggy electrical fuse box, those were all okay.
Then I decide to build a simple power lead to power the heater from my secondary battery, it Worked the blower was running and air was coming out of the vents/demister. Continued so I get the pictures correct.

48110902 6ABE 47F4 9043 F9F34020FDBE

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01 and Smittyp
P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So with that troubleshooting I’m guessing that the trigger wire on the buggy might be bad?
If I turn the ignition key “on” should I read voltage on the trigger wire? 12 volts?

4A9F0BA6 BD2B 4CDE A343 0B2BE2EF34A9

P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or do I have a bad “Fuse Box”? As I said before I checked all 8 fuses, all okay. I tried to check voltage on some of the pins on the new “ Honda fuse box” I could not register any voltage on pins for either the switched ports or aux ports.
I also checked for continuity on the new fuse box wiring that goes from the trigger wire connector to the connector that goes into the new fuse box. All okay.

9B17115F 096D 4CBD A68E A34B1275F585

P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am open to any suggestions or ideas!
Anybody have thoughts as how to approach Honda about one of there accessories being “bad”?
Thanks!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Do you have the harness thst goes here?
It's required and none of the SW# ports will work without this.

Aux 1,2, and 3 should be hot if you sent power to the trigger wire.

SW 1. 2, 3, 4.. are all dead until you install a swirch to control them and tuen them "ON".
77f9f607a97dff7402a59d7605fb0b4c

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

SW 1. 2, 3, 4.. are all dead until you install a swirch to control then and tuen them "ON".
View attachment 357494

Good observation, I never noticed that missing. I hate not having installed these yet.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

SW 1. 2, 3, 4.. are all dead until you install a swirch to control them and tuen them "ON".
View attachment 357494

Just reading the heater install.
That big swirch harnesses not be required.
Instructions say to plug the heater into AUX 1.

Let's get a test light out.

We want to check the main trigger wire for 12v, key-on. Single plug in your hand.

Next plug in the trigger wire and check the AUX 1 for 12v with key-on.

I will assume you have the main power and ground connected to the battery for the fuse box.

Report back

P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had that installed at one point, tried a couple of the aux ports and nothing.
I will install that connector again tomorrow.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I had that installed at one point, tried a couple of the aux ports and nothing.
I will install that connector again tomorrow.
Maybe stright wire jump it for test.

Once the trigger wire has power. The 3 AUX should go hot.

P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just reading the heater install.
That big swirch harnesses not be required.
Instructions say to plug the heater into AUX 1.

Let's get a test light out.

We want to check the main trigger wire for 12v, key-on. Single plug in your hand.

Next plug in the trigger wire and check the AUX 1 for 12v with key-on.

I will assume you have the main power and ground connected to the battery for the fuse box.

Report back

I’ll check that out first thing in morning!
Thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions!👍

P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't had the chance to install either of these yet, but I van look tomorrow and see what if anything could be the issue.

Is the 2nd battery wire into the rest of the unit?
The second battery is standalone for testing, once I get this problem solved I will be adding the battery isolator kit from the club store and installing second battery under the new fuse box.

Reactions: Lady01
H

HondaTech

The second battery is standalone for testing, once I get this problem solved I will be adding the battery isolator kit from the club store and installing second battery under the new fuse box.

So the fuse box is wired into the second battery only?

If the fuse box is connected to just that and the acc. wire is on the bike, it may also cause issues with the circuits not being in the a loop.

But the real issue is probaly that missing plug.

Reactions: Hawk53 and Lady01
P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First thing this morning I checked the “trigger” wire for power, it was good. Next I checked for power on the new lead that goes from trigger wire to the new fuse box, it was good. Next I hooked up the secondary battery and grounded it to frame. Turned on the ignition and turned on the blower motor and everything worked as it was supposed too! Previously I had the secondary battery ungrounded from the frame (floating) this was obviously the problem all along.
Once powered correctly all 3 of the “aux” inputs are powered.
Drove around getting the buggy all warmed up and checked the heater, and all controls. Everything works great.
BTW the large connector did not have to be installed.
Thanks to all for their fantastic knowledge and help.
This probably won’t be my last problem.

S

Surveyor

Lifetime Member
May 13, 2019
Auburn, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let us know how the heater performs. I have the factory heater on my 2016 and it's not impressive. The new design looks much better and well thought out. I just had to replacthe blower on mine. Apparently they don't like to be submerged.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

J

Jeff Frazier

Jan 9, 2023
lexington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spent the last few days installing the cab heater in my new 22 P1K5 Trail, a vary tedious install. Along with the cab heater I also had to purchase the Honda Fuse Box, Fuse Box Wiring Kit and Fuse Box Bracket.
Upon completion I started up the buggy and got it hot to circulate the coolant and to top it off. I then wired the New Fuse Box to a secondary battery, temporarily, until I get my battery isolator from the club store. Figured I would just need power to check out the heater fan and controls. I found the “trigger” connector under the “blue” tape just aft of the stock battery. I connected the trigger wire to the new fuse box onto the “trigger” connection, Plugged in the power lead from the heater to “aux 1” on the fuse box, when I turned on the ignition key and then turned on the heater blower nothing happened!👎 I changed the heater power lead to several other connections on the fuse box and Nothing!👎👎 So for troubleshooting I checked all 8 10 amp fuses in the new fuse box, all okay. Next I checked all the fuses in the buggy electrical fuse box, those were all okay.
Then I decide to build a simple power lead to power the heater from my secondary battery, it Worked the blower was running and air was coming out of the vents/demister. Continued so I get the pictures correct.

View attachment 357490
How long did the install take,started on mine today, got the front end off and getting ready to cut out the defrost.I would like to find a step by step video. I think the instructions are lacking (pictures are terrible. do you have any pics you can share.

P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It took about 16 hours, I’m pretty slow and as you mentioned the instructions aren’t real great. So I would read and reread the instructions over and over till I understood them. I would suggest getting the Honda Service manual, (I got mine off of EBay, about $70) it really helped with installation, plus it has a chapter on removing panels for access and tells you what kind of fasteners and how many, or if other items need to be removed it references them by page number.

H

HondaTech

How long did the install take,started on mine today, got the front end off and getting ready to cut out the defrost.I would like to find a step by step video. I think the instructions are lacking (pictures are terrible. do you have any pics you can share.

Do you have the instructions with the QR codes on them?

Those codes link to videos that show certain steps

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you have the instructions with the QR codes on them?

Those codes link to videos that show certain steps
That’s an interesting tidbit.
Too bad my flip phone can’t do that . Some day I may need to get in with the smart phone crowd.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!