New Honda Redline

H

HondaTech

Just checked dealer site, new video coming July 14th. Not sure if it's a SXS announcement or the MX bike and street stuff. I'll post as soon as I find out. 12:01 am PST or 3:01 for me.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just checked dealer site, new video coming July 14th. Not sure if it's a SXS announcement or the MX bike and street stuff. I'll post as soon as I find out. 12:01 am PST or 3:01 for me.
Redline doesn't sound bikish:) maybe this is the beast

H

HondaTech

I just rewatched the March Redline. It said SXS line-up announcements coming in summer, so i fully expect this video to explain what they plan on doing for 2017.
My predictions are:
P5 Rubicon engine with DCT and manual shift (think P1K), locker and thats it. Hence the patent with the shifter in the middle, for the auto.
P7 Hopefully they build a different engine for this or replace it all together with the new model they talked about. Low range maybe a DCT auto/manual trans and power steering
P1K different color choices and some refinements, maybe drop one of the variations to simplify the lineup.

I dont think there is a sport model coming, the March video said a new "multi purpose" model. So that probably means a similar model to what we've got now. I will be sure to spill full details as soon as possible. My predictions are based on what Honda is doing, simplifying their production process down to a couple different engines. Instead of each model having a whole engine to itself.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bet the multi purpose, is a sportier 1000. Bucket seats, shocks, lower height, think general or wolverine ish.

H

HondaTech

Honda already has a General the P1K is 10 times better machine than that pile of junk. It's basically a RZR made cheaper, if you could build something with lower quality than what Polaris already makes. And Imo Yamaha's utility sxs's are so far out of the race no one ever ask about comparing them when buying a Pioneer. It's always Polaris or Can Am.
Yamaha knew they screwed up with the Viking so they went ahead and made the Rhino again with a different name, Wolverine.

advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just rewatched the March Redline. It said SXS line-up announcements coming in summer, so i fully expect this video to explain what they plan on doing for 2017.
My predictions are:
P5 Rubicon engine with DCT and manual shift (think P1K), locker and thats it. Hence the patent with the shifter in the middle, for the auto.
P7 Hopefully they build a different engine for this or replace it all together with the new model they talked about. Low range maybe a DCT auto/manual trans and power steering
P1K different color choices and some refinements, maybe drop one of the variations to simplify the lineup.

I dont think there is a sport model coming, the March video said a new "multi purpose" model. So that probably means a similar model to what we've got now. I will be sure to spill full details as soon as possible. My predictions are based on what Honda is doing, simplifying their production process down to a couple different engines. Instead of each model having a whole engine to itself.

I am betting that the multipurpose will be something in the P700 displacement range that has more "trailability" than the P700 but not as much power as the P1000 that will stay in the $11,000-13,000 sweet spot similar to the Wolverine. I think a more sport oriented P1000 would eat too much of the P1000 sales.

Then I think in a couple of year or next year at the earliest they will release a full fledged 1000 cc sport model that uses some of the features they will be piloting on the new P700 Wolverine-ish multipurpose model they are releasing this year.

It will probably be exactly what I wanted before I finally made up my mind to get the P1000....

Honestly if it is a Wolverine with a Torque converter Lo/Hi 3 speed transmission and useful dumping bed my P1000 Deluxe will be gone as soon as the first one hits Abernathy's. That is assuming it isn't gone earlier.....

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Honda already has a General the P1K is 10 times better machine than that pile of junk. It's basically a RZR made cheaper, if you could build something with lower quality than what Polaris already makes. And Imo Yamaha's utility sxs's are so far out of the race no one ever ask about comparing them when buying a Pioneer. It's always Polaris or Can Am.
Yamaha knew they screwed up with the Viking so they went ahead and made the Rhino again with a different name, Wolverine.

Honestly, if Honda made a Rhino clone, I would probably buy it and I bet so would a host of other people.

H

HondaTech

The Rhino was and is one the best SXS made, the original sporty recreational SXS. But Yamaha made the Viking a large, slow replacement that in 6X6 form needs a acre to turn around in and a gooseneck trailer to haul. Thats why the Wolverine was made for, they needed something to replace the Viking which they made to replace the Rhino. No one really makes a Rhino type model, everything's gotten too big or too fast.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The Rhino was and is one the best SXS made, the original sporty recreational SXS. But Yamaha made the Viking a large, slow replacement that in 6X6 form needs a acre to turn around in and a gooseneck trailer to haul. Thats why the Wolverine was made for, they needed something to replace the Viking which they made to replace the Rhino. No one really makes a Rhino type model, everything's gotten too big or too fast.

110% agree. I think there is a market opening for someone to exploit.

I think if they made something that had a torque converter and a good gear ratio it would be the darling of the rock climbers and the trail runners and it could do a very decent job around the farm.

Something similar to the John Deere 860i that would actually run....

Reactions: jawquin
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks @HondaTech, sorry now I see you already posted that info in post 1. Cool so we will be waking up to some news!

H

HondaTech

No problem, more than likely all this info will be posted to their website powersports.honda.com shortly after, but I'll be posting the info here as soon as I see it, Im usually up around 7 a.m, so look for a post in this forum with all the info they spill.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No problem, more than likely all this info will be posted to their website powersports.honda.com shortly after, but I'll be posting the info here as soon as I see it, Im usually up around 7 a.m, so look for a post in this forum with all the info they spill.
Thanks hondatech!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!