P500 New Member Divide CO

R

RodBro

Jul 23, 2020
Divide, CO
Ownership

1. 500
What a great information resource for Honda SxS owners! I've browsed the forums and am really impressed. We've had our 2017 500 since fall of last year and thoroughly enjoy remote mountain trail riding. My wife has had back and neck surgery in the past and has been having trouble with some pain especially after four to five hour outings. So, I'm wanting to make running gear upgrades to smooth out the ride to keep her on the trail. Considering that tires, wheels, spacers, etc. might provide the most bang for the buck and maybe get where we need to be without expensive long travel suspension kit, shocks, etc. Considered lift kit, but bigger diameter tires would accomplish the same thing plus smooth the ride. Please share your wisdom with me! Thank you!

Our 500 is stock except for accessories
Warn winch + 50" plow
Hard top
Full tilting windshield
Full enclosure fabric side doors + rear window panel

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome, also from the once great state of Colorado - SE Denverish.

Since you're protecting your wife, your speeds will be low so you can drop your tire pressure 'way down'. Just dropping 4 pounds on my Talon made a noticeable difference. Just north of you is my favorite day ride area but I'm retired so I don't have to put up with weekend traffic. You are correct about a larger diameter helping smooth things out but I don't know how much diameter the 500 can handle.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've riden in divide several times. I love it out there!

What a great information resource for Honda SxS owners! I've browsed the forums and am really impressed. We've had our 2017 500 since fall of last year and thoroughly enjoy remote mountain trail riding. My wife has had back and neck surgery in the past and has been having trouble with some pain especially after four to five hour outings. So, I'm wanting to make running gear upgrades to smooth out the ride to keep her on the trail. Considering that tires, wheels, spacers, etc. might provide the most bang for the buck and maybe get where we need to be without expensive long travel suspension kit, shocks, etc. Considered lift kit, but bigger diameter tires would accomplish the same thing plus smooth the ride. Please share your wisdom with me! Thank you!

Our 500 is stock except for accessories
Warn winch + 50" plow
Hard top
Full tilting windshield
Full enclosure fabric side doors + rear window panel

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
5+2 offset rims and spacers will seriously reduce the chance of tipping. I am after alll the master of tipping but don't expect any change. There's a shortage you know and we don't like change around here....just kidding I love Colorado and am itching to go back for a spell. Welcome to the forumabiddium...
PS don't forget to tip the Gnome on your way out the door...He is just a wee lad after all...
BA3C4A8F 0823 4B08 9F47 FFB3D7FC3CC9

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State :cool:

Like @CID said, lower the air pressure way down. If you go with a 26" tire will also help the ride combined with the lower air pressure.

And remember...pics or it didn't happen ;)

#NTC

R

RodBro

Jul 23, 2020
Divide, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you for the many nice welcomes and suggestions! Pics seem to be encouraged, so here is one of our rig.

Question: I like the ride advantage of going with bigger tires and also the added ground clearance. Considering 27" or 28" tires with stock rims vs 14" new rims and 26" tires. Using stock rims appears to be the more economical choice. Are there any other practical reasons for going one way or the other? Would probably use same rim/tire on 4 corners +2" spacers.

2017 Pioneer 500

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the land between the Great Lakes!
Thank you for the pics!
so it did happen! :cool:

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY. On the 5hundo, if you go up in size, you should out on the stance to prevent tipping. I would stay with the 12” rim for more sidewall action. Not sure how big of a tire you can go before rub Enjoy your ride. 😉
#ntc🤘🏾

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you for the many nice welcomes and suggestions! Pics seem to be encouraged, so here is one of our rig.

Question: I like the ride advantage of going with bigger tires and also the added ground clearance. Considering 27" or 28" tires with stock rims vs 14" new rims and 26" tires. Using stock rims appears to be the more economical choice. Are there any other practical reasons for going one way or the other? Would probably use same rim/tire on 4 corners +2" spacers.

View attachment 214484

12" wheels are the preference for the 500, 14's make for a stiff ride. Depending on the brand of tires and whether they run true or not, you can go up to 27's without rub. Haven't heard of anyone going to 28's without rubbing unless you install arched A arms.

R

RodBro

Jul 23, 2020
Divide, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you Trig for the information and advice! In light of your input 27's on stock rims that could be run at a lower pressure for soft ride would be our choice. majority of our riding is on rocky mountain trails. No aggressive boulder climbing. Would you have recommendation(s) for brands, tread patterns and ply rating to give a softer ride?

Reactions: trigger and Mudwing
R

RodBro

Jul 23, 2020
Divide, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY. On the 5hundo, if you go up in size, you should out on the stance to prevent tipping. I would stay with the 12” rim for more sidewall action. Not sure how big of a tire you can go before rub Enjoy your ride. 😉
#ntc🤘🏾
Thanks for your advice! What side spacer would you recommend for 27 all around in 12" wheels?😕

Reactions: Mudwing
R

RodBro

Jul 23, 2020
Divide, CO
Ownership

1. 500
#ntc🤘🏾
Sorry! Meant to say what size spacer on reply.🤭

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!