New Member- Good Morning from SW Michigan

C

chadley2301

Apr 7, 2024
Southwest Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
First time SxS owner (new P1000-6). I've gone back and forth about buying for a few years since we moved to the country and finally pulled the trigger after a ton of research and I think I made a good choice! Main use will be to generic yard work, towing trailers/boats around, and mostly hauling around 2 grade-school kids, one baby, 2 dogs, one wife....

I also burn a lot of wood to supplement heat to our home so I've already put the unit to WORK toting chainsaws, hauling logs in dump bed, towing wood splitter, etc.

My only upgrade so far is an OE roof (thanks Honda accy rebate!)

Would love recommendations on the following:

1) I'm needing a windshield in the very near future; family is getting cold riding any speed above 10 mph... Cheaper the better.
2) Rear Bumper- this Pioneer is huge and backing in to something is scary- Best bumper for protection... Function over fashion.
3) Backup camera- see above about backing up
4) Wheels/Tires- We will be riding about 50/50 dirt and pavement. Would like to get an extra set of wheels with tires that will do wear well on pavement driving. Currently looking at Kanati Mongrels... Having a hard time finding wheels for a decent price with the right bolt pattern.
5) I currently have 55 miles on the unit. Any pro tips on the first 100 mile break-in period?

Lastly, storage: Currently planning to keep under my deck which is water tight, but the unit is exposed on the sides (see pics)... Any risk of sun damage to the seats/side panels, etc? I can make room in my garage BUT under deck gives easier access in and out...

Thanks in advance! Long post, so feel free to chime in on whatever...

We are really excited to be part of this forum/community!

IMG 0700
IMG 0688
IMG 0693

IMG 0700

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
First time SxS owner (new P1000-6). I've gone back and forth about buying for a few years since we moved to the country and finally pulled the trigger after a ton of research and I think I made a good choice! Main use will be to generic yard work, towing trailers/boats around, and mostly hauling around 2 grade-school kids, one baby, 2 dogs, one wife....

I also burn a lot of wood to supplement heat to our home so I've already put the unit to WORK toting chainsaws, hauling logs in dump bed, towing wood splitter, etc.

1) I'm needing a windshield in the very near future; family is getting cold riding any speed above 10 mph... Cheaper the better.
2) Rear Bumper- this Pioneer is huge and backing in to something is scary- Best bumper for protection... Function over fashion.
4) Wheels/Tires- We will be riding about 50/50 dirt and pavement. Would like to get an extra set of wheels with tires that will do wear well on pavement driving. Currently looking at Kanati Mongrels... Having a hard time finding wheels for a decent price with the right bolt pattern.
5) I currently have 55 miles on the unit. Any pro tips on the first 100 mile break-in period?

Lastly, storage: Currently planning to keep under my deck which is water tight, but the unit is exposed on the sides (see pics)... Any risk of sun damage to the seats/side panels, etc? I can make room in my garage BUT under deck gives easier access in and out...

View attachment 424547View attachment 424549View attachment 424546

View attachment 424545
Welcome from Ohio and congrats on the new buggy. Nice introduction as well. these guys will chime in on all your questions and help spend the rest of your money 🤣

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 424545
I would suggest a cover if it’s going to be partially exposed like in the pic. But if you can make it fit in the garage, it’s an awfully pricey toy to not put in the effort to do that. IMHO.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the forum @chadley2301 . Nice looking rig and you got the right color.
My only comment would be on the windshield. Glass is nice but expensive and you can't flip it open, having vents helps but it still sucks. Also if you ever put your machine on it's side, chances are good that you'll crack the glass. My recommendation would be a hardcoat poly flip up like the SuperATV. Best of both worlds. They weren't available when I got my machine or that's what I'd be running. Don't get a sh!tty cheap poly one that isn't hardcoated, they scratch way too easy.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from another michigander and fellow sufferer from the clutches of Big Gretch!

Nice rig! GO ARMY GREEN!
Start off with a SATV flip and see how u like it? Many do such as I
If your 50/50 on off rd I would suggest an LT/MT tire. The tire compound will last much longer. They preform well on and off rd.
Helps to change your wheels to the same size all the way around cuz u will want to rotate them for ware no matter what type of tire u choose. Search LT tires up top for Ideas.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Oklahoma Chadley, and welcome to the club. Regarding storage, I had to park my Pioneer 500 under my deck for the first year I had it. I purchased a cover from Honda that was made for the P5 and it fit perfectly. I don't know if they make one for the P1000-6, but you might check in to it. I eventually got a used 20 ft. shipping container to keep it in.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 424545
Welcome from BC! Congrats on your new ride!

1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 424545
Welcome from Central Florida. Congratulations on the new machine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!