New member originally from the southeast and now in North Idaho

W

wizardoforange

Jun 21, 2017
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hello everyone. I just got a Honda Pioneer 500 today and I'm totally stoked. This is the first UTV I've owned, though I've had a fair amount of experience using a couple of other brands while practicing as a GP at a remote Indian Health Service clinic and at home on my dad's farm in north GA. I used a Kawasaki Mule 4x4 with IHS to make house calls, as an ambulance, and for hauling injured or sun-stroked tourists to our clinic. I thought it was a great vehicle for the purpose, and it would climb nearly anything. On my dad's farm, I used a rear wheel drive John Deere Gator, and it is also a very good machine (even more so because it's kept my dad fairly active in his garden well into his 90's despite a bum knee).

Anyway, I'm in North Idaho now decided that it was time to get my own. I decided that I wanted a 50" machine to stay legal on more trails, and my choices were limited to Polaris, Arctic Cat, and Honda (plus some Chinese model, I can't remember the name). Polaris and Honda seem to be the most popular around here, and lots of folks steered me toward Polaris. However, I also heard tremendous numbers of complaints about Polaris machines breaking and and resulting in costly repairs. So, I chose Honda. And I'm really happy I listened to my instinct. It might not be the fastest, but it's plenty fast enough for me. A friend and I took an evening trip and it performed flawlessly on some pretty rough terrain. I'll try to post some photos in the "500" section. I think this will be a great tool around the house, for fly fishing, and perhaps even for hauling my whitewater boat on to access difficult-to-reach creeks.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad that you have joined the "Honda family." This place has lots of great info.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone. I just got a Honda Pioneer 500 today and I'm totally stoked. This is the first UTV I've owned, though I've had a fair amount of experience using a couple of other brands while practicing as a GP at a remote Indian Health Service clinic and at home on my dad's farm in north GA. I used a Kawasaki Mule 4x4 with IHS to make house calls, as an ambulance, and for hauling injured or sun-stroked tourists to our clinic. I thought it was a great vehicle for the purpose, and it would climb nearly anything. On my dad's farm, I used a rear wheel drive John Deere Gator, and it is also a very good machine (even more so because it's kept my dad fairly active in his garden well into his 90's despite a bum knee).

Anyway, I'm in North Idaho now decided that it was time to get my own. I decided that I wanted a 50" machine to stay legal on more trails, and my choices were limited to Polaris, Arctic Cat, and Honda (plus some Chinese model, I can't remember the name). Polaris and Honda seem to be the most popular around here, and lots of folks steered me toward Polaris. However, I also heard tremendous numbers of complaints about Polaris machines breaking and and resulting in costly repairs. So, I chose Honda. And I'm really happy I listened to my instinct. It might not be the fastest, but it's plenty fast enough for me. A friend and I took an evening trip and it performed flawlessly on some pretty rough terrain. I'll try to post some photos in the "500" section. I think this will be a great tool around the house, for fly fishing, and perhaps even for hauling my whitewater boat on to access difficult-to-reach creeks.
Welcome aboard from SE Missouri. There getting to be quite a few of you Idaho folks on here now. Don't forget to post up some pics of your ride.

Edit: just found your other thread...beautiful scenery

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500

Congratulations on the 500 purchase. You won’t be disappointed. And welcome from Nova Scotia Canada
Caper

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Pa

Reactions: Caper
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome! I'm fairly new here as well, and I can tell you you'll find a lot of great folks here. Tons of good info on your new machine too.

What part of N Idaho are you in?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Welcome! And did I hear you mention fly fishing? Went out to Montana several years ago, hired a guide, the rivers were blown out that week, did a white water river fly fishing trip. That was a trip, only fly we used was a Stone fly pattern, is that the prominent pattern there?

Last edited:
Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from North Georgia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome! And did I hear you mention fly fishing? Went out to Montana several years ago, hired a guide, the rivers were blown out that week, did a white water river fly fishing trip. That was a trip, only fly we used was a Stone fly pattern, is that the prominent pattern there?
Fly fishing, food for the sole. I have a Hardy my cousin brought over from England in the ‘ 70 ‘s and reel. Still like new. Mayfly up here.
Caper

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the addiction from Central Texas

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
lol ..... what do ya have, about a week of summer???
Lol, not quite that bad. We have a good summer some hot days but not like down in Texas. Spring and fall are perfect riding weather but not winter, most years. This year could have drove it most of the winter. Not much snow. And no I don’t own a snowmobile. Haha. My brother has two , so. Haha
Caper

Reactions: BigOL3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!