P1000 New Member w/Mod questions...

A

AUTIGER44

Oct 8, 2019
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello all,
New 2018 Pioneer 1000-3 owner (from a Kawi Teryx) and of course the mods must begin immediately! I ended up with Deluxe tires and wheels due to a previous swap that worked out in my favor, so I am going to run those until they are shot. I am looking to upgrade my stock non-LED lights to LED. Does anyone have a link to a good LED replacement light? I am also going to be putting on front/back lightbars.

I mostly use the pioneer for hunting in relatively tame woods but I want to do some more trail riding this fall too. I know the basic upgrades like roof, windshield, winch but since I am newer to the trail riding side what upgrades should I consider? Thanks for all of the feedback!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Led replacement bulbs do work pretty good however I don’t remember what bulb type people are using, someone will pipe up. Also could consider led housings like factory, there are some pretty reasonable aftermarket ones out there. The light spread and output is better with the led housings.
In addition to what you’re already planning,skid plate is important, probably get backup lights (there is simple plug/play kit in the store here) tires will be important as soon as you can (sidewalls are too thin in stockies) some sort of interior light, wiper for your windshield, a light bar up front(preference on size and output, anything will help but go flood) heater if you want to go that way is nice for hunting season but you can take out the 6x6 access cover on floorboard in front middle for good heat. That’s what I can think of off the bat, more ideas will come along shortly.
And btw welcome and congratulations from Washington state.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
What CumminsPusher said.
Except if you are not doing sharp rocks the stocker tires should do fine, put your favorite tire sealant in and enjoy.
They're got very thin side walls but that helps on the ride and traction.
I got over 2,000 miles on my stock tires.

A

AUTIGER44

Oct 8, 2019
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Led replacement bulbs do work pretty good however I don’t remember what bulb type people are using, someone will pipe up. Also could consider led housings like factory, there are some pretty reasonable aftermarket ones out there. The light spread and output is better with the led housings.
In addition to what you’re already planning,skid plate is important, probably get backup lights (there is simple plug/play kit in the store here) tires will be important as soon as you can (sidewalls are too thin in stockies) some sort of interior light, wiper for your windshield, a light bar up front(preference on size and output, anything will help but go flood) heater if you want to go that way is nice for hunting season but you can take out the 6x6 access cover on floorboard in front middle for good heat. That’s what I can think of off the bat, more ideas will come along shortly.
And btw welcome and congratulations from Washington state.
CumminsPusher: Thanks for the great feedback. I had not considered the LED housings...Good catch! Skid plates are definitely on the radar for future improvement. My old Teryx4 came stock with full metal skids. That said, I switched to Honda bc the Teryx was so LOUD! great trail bike but no way I could hunt out of it...Thanks again from North MS!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CumminsPusher: Thanks for the great feedback. I had not considered the LED housings...Good catch! Skid plates are definitely on the radar for future improvement. My old Teryx4 came stock with full metal skids. That said, I switched to Honda bc the Teryx was so LOUD! great trail bike but no way I could hunt out of it...Thanks again from North MS!
How you liking the new ride so far?

Reactions: AUTIGER44
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Alabama, I just made the same switch 2010 Teryx to P1k5D. I am loving the new ride, got it half apart putting on upgrades. Tough Country Bumper, Warn Axon 5500 winch, front and rear light bars, rock light, under seat fan, under seat 2 battery, new UMHW skid plate. Your going to love the change.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check out rb3offroad.com - door bushings for the rattling doors, Wheel spacers - better stability, We also have Flag/whip/light mounts.

Reactions: AUTIGER44
advertisement
1184bcjmill

1184bcjmill

Jul 2, 2018
Lake charles la
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also did beam teach h13's from Amazon for around $20-$30 and are a major improvement over factory halogen. I went this route bc I also but a 50inch light bar on the front so didn't want to spend too much on the head lights if i need more light than headlights i just flip on the light bar. May want to consider a dual battery setup Transmission is voltage sensitive.

A

AUTIGER44

Oct 8, 2019
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How you liking the new ride so far?
Well....After a full hunting season, I love the versatility of the P1K-3. 5 Deer got to ride in the dump bed :) The Pioneer is so quiet I actually drove up on several deer. Never would have happened in the Teryx. I have also been able to use the pioneer around the house for landscaping/clean up/gathering and hauling firewood which is a heck of a lot better than having to use a wheel barrow!! I have done front and rear lightbars, replaced factory bulbs with the H13 LED bulbs from amazon (best $10 I've spent in awhile), 5000# winch, SATV Windshield, overhead gun rack.

Things left to do/Downsides (vs. the Teryx)
1) getting new tires soon. the 4ply stock Bighorns are too thin and I have 2 that have leaks/plugs already with ~200mi.
2) would like to replace the front bumper with a Tough Country bumper so I can remount the winch on top. Used a PBR winch mount with my winch and while it has worked well, it was a pain in the a** to get setup.
3) Relative to the Teryx 4 (Fox) suspension, the Honda stock suspension is rough....I know it is an apples and oranges comparison but I will upgrade that down the road. some better tires might actually help the ride too.
4) a little surprised with some of the fit and finish issues (mostly minor) that I have seen with the Pioneer like the door/bed rattle (yes, I have adjusted them but I shouldn't have to on a $13,0000 rig. You're better than this Honda..) along with others on these forums that show the broken front A-arms.

Overall, I love the Pioneer. Great machine with TONS of versatility and power. The thing is a tank in the woods as MANY sapling trees felt the wrath this fall while retrieving deer! I look forward to doing a little trail riding as time permits this spring.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good to hear you’re happy with the machine overall. Sounds like you learned fast what you need for your rig, we’re all a little different.
ya those tires are ok in light duty situations and great in snow but just not enough sidewall.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!