P500 New owner needs new tires

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome Rooftop from another Michigan guy! I've been riding 3-wheelers and quads since I was 12 yrs old - 38 years later I buy my first side-by-side. The guys on here are great- great depth of knowledge and experiences, as well as opinions! So with my 2 years of P500 experience here is what I say:

* A 26" tall tire is an excellent choice for this machine.
* What ever brand you buy - make sure it is a radial! Vastly improves the ride quality!
* Start with just the tires on your stock wheels (what I have) then if you think the machine feels too tippy- get some wheel spacers.
* As other point out- if you want to change the look and want the wider stance, buy a set of aftermarket off-set wheels.
* My experience is any aftermarket tire tread design is better than the stock tires than come on most ATV's & side-by-sides. So I would just say look at a bunch of different ones and pick what looks will suit your needs. As for a recommendation: I agree with the Maxis Big Horns- know a lot of guys that have run these on their 4x4 quads and the traction improvements are incredible. Or, I went with a bunch of suggestions from this site and bought the Kenda Bear Claw XTR's. They have a more aggressive tread than the Big Horns do, but I can accept the turf damage in my yard from them- not horrible. Oh- Big Horn 2.0 for the radials. I think the original Big Horns are bias-ply.
Original Bighorns are radials. Have them on my Grizzly 700.

Reactions: crewcabrob
Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Spacers will work and save you some money. I started with 1” spacers I the back with stock wheels. The. I moved the 1” to the front and added 2” spacers to the back with stock wheels. I’m currently running the 1” front and 2” rear spacers with 5+2 wheels. It’s probably overkill but it works. The thing I like about the spacers vs new wheels is the ability to experiment with out spending a bunch on wheels. I also started with the stock tires, moved to 25” tires and currently running 27” tires. 26” tires are a good size for most people. You will have plenty of power, the machine will ride and perform better and you won’t need to modify anything other than making it a little wider to compensate for the added height.
I wish I would have gone 1" in front instead of 1.5". It would fit better between my wheel wells in my truck. I agree 26" work well. I have Big Horn 2.0 but would not have a problem with Kenda Bear Claws or the Trilobites. Any of these are better than stock. I stayed with stock wheels because I couldn't stand to scuff up pretty aftermarket wheels.

Fruitz101

Fruitz101

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Born and raised in west Michigan, Grand Rapids area. Spend a decent amount of time in the evart area on friends hunting property. Here it is before the mods start

View attachment 292094
Born and raised in west Michigan, Grand Rapids area. Spend a decent amount of time in the evart area on friends hunting property. Here it is before the mods start

View attachment 292094
Nice 500s! buddy just bought same year and color. Gotta show mine off- first time half ass cleaned in a year.. bh 2.0 26 9 12’s on all 4, 5+2 quadboss coercion’s with 1in rb3’s on rear. Best, lightest setup I’ve had so far.

C8D5664A 5343 4EF1 B298 33F0BB3408D9

Last edited:
Homer

Homer

Bad Decision Coordinator
Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where: When you decide, check prices at PlanetSXS. I've bought 2 sets of tires and 1 set of wheels from them. Fast, free shipping, competitive or best $,...
Good luck.

JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I love the Kenda HTR Bear Claw tires. I had 26x9x12 on the front and 26x9x11 on the rear. I used ITP delta steel wheels with 5+2 offset. After a while I added 1" spacers all around just to give me a bit more width. I think it was like 54" at the rear with the spacers.

Fruitz101

Fruitz101

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I love the Kenda HTR Bear Claw tires. I had 26x9x12 on the front and 26x9x11 on the rear. I used ITP delta steel wheels with 5+2 offset. After a while I added 1" spacers all around just to give me a bit more width. I think it was like 54" at the rear with the spacers.
Had htr’s in my cart then chickened out. Little heavier than bh2’s (2-3lbs per) being 8ply, and was slightly worried about the road wobble, which is prolly bs. Have any problems with that? Nice Meaty lookin tire though

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Had htr’s in my cart then chickened out. Little heavier than bh2’s (2-3lbs per) being 8ply, and was slightly worried about the road wobble, which is prolly bs. Have any problems with that? Nice Meaty lookin tire though
When I got my HTRs, i noticed they were fairly heavier than other tires I was considering, and much heavier than stock. But I figured that would help lower my center of gravity.

JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I didn't notice any wobble with the HTRs. Adding those tires to my P500 was absolutely the best mod that I did. It was a completely different machine from the stock tires. And they never let me down.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I can’t comment on the HTR’s but one of the reasons I chose the Blackwater Evo’s was the 8 ply radial, excellent for durability, and with 8 ply, hopefully I could limp back on a flat if needed. BTW, I’ve not noticed any wobble on or off road. Evo’s are a different cross section than the HTR (and I’m not pushing Evo’s) but I don’t think you should shy away from them based on weight alone.
Oh, and by the way -welcome from a former Michigander.
E7DD00E9 A232 421B B510 F89851844E54

Last edited:
TBea

TBea

Supporting Member
Dec 6, 2020
So. Cal.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just put on Bighorn 2.0. First time putting new tires on my 2018 P-500. 26/9R12 up front 26/11/R12 in the rear with 1" RB3 spacers all the way around. I can't recommend that set up enough. It is a great combo.
Hi Morpheus,
I have a 520 2021. Originals stock tire are about done.
i was going to switch to Bighorn's 2.0 26/9R12 front & 26/11/r12 rear. Why the 1" RB3 spacers all the way around? Is the lift required for tries clearance? Are just to give you more clearance?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like the top of your buggy needs a roof…when I had my goat(500) I ran Bighorn originals and they rocked except for the 4 ply sidewalls. On one ride I think we shoved 18 plugs in them. I can’t remember if that was in Washington or Tennessee??? If you can find a similar tread pattern and thicker sidewalls, I’d say go for it. It all depends on how and where you ride. Many or some of us on here put our machines through the ringer, developing character marks, scratches and the occasional crunch. Magnificence is made in the process by which we ride! Be welcome and be here.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was in Washington with @popeye and @CumminsPusher and maybe @Tigermark ???there were lots of cool funguses growing everywhere! Chicken of the woods, Lionsmane, what looked like Chaga. It was a great experience! Was it the backside of MtRainier?

FEE225DA 2BA1 4B76 BD20 95D4FB94C389 4B9B9E22 D5E6 4241 8DD2 F112A4797032

idahoron

idahoron

May 3, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It was in Washington with @popeye and @CumminsPusher and maybe @Tigermark ???there were lots of cool funguses growing everywhere! Chicken of the woods, Lionsmane, what looked like Chaga. It was a great experience! Was it the backside of MtRainier?

View attachment 324433 View attachment 324434

I finally got a P5. I put a KFI 4500 winch on it and I have new tires heading my way maybe tomorrow. 26" Ripsaw's. Kama got me some rims that are a bit wider. Those will go on with the Ripsaw's.

20211204 135931 Screenshot 20220311 112142 Messenger

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Morpheus,
I have a 520 2021. Originals stock tire are about done.
i was going to switch to Bighorn's 2.0 26/9R12 front & 26/11/r12 rear. Why the 1" RB3 spacers all the way around? Is the lift required for tries clearance? Are just to give you more clearance?

After doing a lot of research and talking with members on this forum I decided to go with the 1" all the way around for stability. I chose RB3 because they support Honda SXS Club and they are an awesome company with very high quality products. The majority of members say if you're going to go up even a little bit you need to go out because the unit has a tendency to be very tippy with any added height. I have family and friends who also use the machine and have varying levels of experience with these machines so I wanted to cover my bases to keep them safe when they are out of my sight and getting on it :cool: Clearance isn't an issue at all. You could put on the BH 2.0 26" all the way around and it would be just fine as far as wheel clearance. Some members have added this exact tire set up and not added spacers and they say they haven't had an issue at all. I do trail riding as much as I can and just wanted to make sure I have the most stability possible when exploring new areas since I never know what I'll run into. I chose 1" because I wanted to keep it as narrow as possible and have the piece of mind of a little bit extra width. With my Bighorn 2.0 26/9R12 front & 26/11/r12 rear and 1" spacers it still fits in the bed of my Chevrolet 1/2 ton with a 6.5' box so for me it is a win all the way around. I can't say enough good things about the improved performance of the machine with the BH 2.0 tires and RB3 1" spacers. Way better ride and handling. You won't be disappointed if you go this route.

R

rmarsh

May 28, 2021
courtenay
Ownership

1. 500
Richard 62,
You run 27x9 12 evo black water tires do you have any pictures ?
Do they rub at all ? and is the ground clearance greatly improved over stock tires
Thanks Russ

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!