P1000 New P1000-5 owner kind of disappointed.

T

TourRider

Dec 11, 2019
Richlands, Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased a 2020 P1000-5 base 2 weeks ago. We originally went to look at a 700-4 base model and decided the 1000 had all of the options I needed and wanted (high & low range, power steering, tilt wheel, middle seat belt in the front, ect.). I purchased my pioneer the same day a close friend of mine purchased a Rzr 900s, since then 3 other friends have bought side by sides as well (can-am X3 turbo, rzr 1000XP and a talon) yes I know those machines are in an entirely different category than mine and I bought mine because I can haul the wife and kids while riding and also use it around the house, I wasn't looking for strictly a go fast toy. We all rode about 60 miles in the mountains yesterday and I came to realize that I truly dislike this machine. It rides worse than my diesel F350 truck, everything rattles, and it handles like a boat. I expected it to handle a little sloppy due to its size so that's not a huge deal, it rode so rough that my daughter wound up riding 15 miles back to the parking lot with a friend and I put the pioneer back on the trailer and got in with a different friend for the remainder of day. I know I can't blaze down the trails like a rzr but even moving at a moderate speed was miserable, they would stop for a break and be almost done with their drink by the time I caught up. I don't want a sport machine because they are only usable as a toy, I will likely put a plow on this for the winter months and use to to haul around some wood also. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as suspension upgrades? Spending 2k on suspension is a hard pill to swallow but not as hard as taking a several thousand dollar loss on trading in a brand new machine. Sorry for the long post, thanks for any input.
Make sure you only have 13 lbs In front and 12 lbs Rear air pressure.

Reactions: Isaiah
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome to the club. About two weeks ago I sold my '19' 700 Deluxe and bought a '17' 1000LE with 1100 miles. I took a big hit on the 700 but, made out like a bandit on the 1000. The Fox shocks, to me, are just amazing. They're three way adjustable (soft, medium, and firm). If I were in your shoes, I would put the Fox shocks on and check the front end alignment. I'm super happy with the 1000LE ride. I replaced the door hinge bushings with bushings from Garage Products. That took care of most of the rattles. Just some rattling from the bed to be addressed with self stick foam weather strip. The heat and noise is reduced with Design Engineering heat shield kit.

Pioeer door hinge 300x169

Reactions: TripleB and reg
reg

reg

Nov 19, 2015
Your options:#1 Don't ride with racers anymore and enjoy a reliable enjoyable family ride, albeit bumpy. #2Trade it immediately for a Polaris 1000 base (minimum) at Abernathys for under 10,000 minus trade and the whole family will thank you. Your wife will even jump into the drivers seat to get to drive. (Never happened in 5 yrs of ownership with the Honda ). My son now has our old Pioneer and it will provide many more trouble free yrs. PS. Do not try to make a race horse out of a donkey, for your sanity's sake PPS I enjoy every SxS in its element.

Last edited:
Reactions: JenElio
C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I purchased a 2020 P1000-5 base 2 weeks ago. We originally went to look at a 700-4 base model and decided the 1000 had all of the options I needed and wanted (high & low range, power steering, tilt wheel, middle seat belt in the front, ect.). I purchased my pioneer the same day a close friend of mine purchased a Rzr 900s, since then 3 other friends have bought side by sides as well (can-am X3 turbo, rzr 1000XP and a talon) yes I know those machines are in an entirely different category than mine and I bought mine because I can haul the wife and kids while riding and also use it around the house, I wasn't looking for strictly a go fast toy. We all rode about 60 miles in the mountains yesterday and I came to realize that I truly dislike this machine. It rides worse than my diesel F350 truck, everything rattles, and it handles like a boat. I expected it to handle a little sloppy due to its size so that's not a huge deal, it rode so rough that my daughter wound up riding 15 miles back to the parking lot with a friend and I put the pioneer back on the trailer and got in with a different friend for the remainder of day. I know I can't blaze down the trails like a rzr but even moving at a moderate speed was miserable, they would stop for a break and be almost done with their drink by the time I caught up. I don't want a sport machine because they are only usable as a toy, I will likely put a plow on this for the winter months and use to to haul around some wood also. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as suspension upgrades? Spending 2k on suspension is a hard pill to swallow but not as hard as taking a several thousand dollar loss on trading in a brand new machine. Sorry for the long post, thanks for any input.
I felt the same way and weighed the same options. I ended up going with Walker Evans with a 25lb heavier spring than their standard option. It is amazingly better but slightly under sprung with people in the rear seats, I should have gone with 50lb heavier springs. It turned that machine into an amazing Unit. Also ditch the 4ply tires and get 8 ply, it will save you a lot of aggravation on the trail.

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I'd say you bought the wrong machine if your wanting to ride hard with the sporties. I have a new 1000-5 and took it on it's maiden voyage on the trials this weekend with the wife and absolutely loved it. Frickin thing will crawl up a wall. Might not want to jump with it very seriously but for overall comfort for it's size I am very happy with it and so was my wife.. Easy in and out access and I like sitting up a little higher... had a third person in front on the first day with plenty of room......Loved the "Sport" setting.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our family has two P1000-5s. They were bought for reaching remote repeater sites for service purposes, some work around the ranch(mine), and some general family exploring (my sons). The P1000 I drive has stock suspension and I can definitely empathize with the OP, a very unimpressive ride and handling. My son installed a set of Fox shocks as he does a lot of long distance riding with his family in the Pitkin, Tincup,Taylor Park areas of Colorado. I had a chance to ride along on a service call with him on a very rough trail to a remote site. I was wincing expecting the stock suspension "slam" as we approched rocks and bumps at speeds I wouldn't even consider in my P1000. Son laughed at me, drove even faster (the bed was loaded with HVAC tools) and predicted a new set of Fox shocks in my future. The Fox set up adds a lot more comfort, control, and offers better stability on offset trail sections. They made what I consider a game changing difference in performance.

It is a shame that we have to spend $$$ on an expensive UTV to make it serviceable for decent speeds. Note my shocks are still stock, but I will eventually do the Fox thing.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our family has two P1000-5s. They were bought for reaching remote repeater sites for service purposes, some work around the ranch(mine), and some general family exploring (my sons). The P1000 I drive has stock suspension and I can definitely empathize with the OP, a very unimpressive ride and handling. My son installed a set of Fox shocks as he does a lot of long distance riding with his family in the Pitkin, Tincup,Taylor Park areas of Colorado. I had a chance to ride along on a service call with him on a very rough trail to a remote site. I was wincing expecting the stock suspension "slam" as we approched rocks and bumps at speeds I wouldn't even consider in my P1000. Son laughed at me, drove even faster (the bed was loaded with HVAC tools) and predicted a new set of Fox shocks in my future. The Fox set up adds a lot more comfort, control, and offers better stability on offset trail sections. They made what I consider a game changing difference in performance.

It is a shame that we have to spend $$$ on an expensive UTV to make it serviceable for decent speeds. Note my shocks are still stock, but I will eventually do the Fox thing.
Have either of you had any over heating problems with the Pioneers while in the Rockies?

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our P1000s have had zero issues with cooling. My son runs his pretty much every summer weekend up some long steep inclines, with all seats filled, often at altitudes over 10000 feet. That said, one of our friends has a P1000 that had some issues with heating. IIRC it was a lean condition caused by the engine management programming and not the cooling system Our friend is a genius level wrench and got direct help from Honda R&D engineers thru his dealer. They were very responsive and concerned with his problem. It took some time to fix but it is now 100%.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our P1000s have had zero issues with cooling. My son runs his pretty much every summer weekend up some long steep inclines, with all seats filled, often at altitudes over 10000 feet. That said, one of our friends has a P1000 that had some issues with heating. IIRC it was a lean condition caused by the engine management programming and not the cooling system Our friend is a genius level wrench and got direct help from Honda R&D engineers thru his dealer. They were very responsive and concerned with his problem. It took some time to fix but it is now 100%.
Do you have any 'specifics' on the fix your friend used???

LaVell

LaVell

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Opp, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Feel your pain. I rode the Hatfield /McCoy trails last year stock and was a bruiser. Just got back Sunday riding there After adding some changes. I added 814 shocks , arched a-arms and 30 inch System 3 tires. Rode great!. Love the 814 shocks. Took a couple of rides to dial them in, but found the sweet spot there and made all the difference.

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
SteveinUT

SteveinUT

Sep 12, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have either of you had any over heating problems with the Pioneers while in the Rockies?

I had mine overheat a couple of times running up long, steep, rocky trails. My fan wasn't kicking on until I turned the key off, then started back up. When I took it in for the gas pedal recall I mentioned it to the mechanic at the dealer and he put the most current program on my ECM and I haven't had the issue since. The fan kicks on regularly now and I never get above 2 bars now on the temp gauge.

2Ladiesdad

May 31, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a quick update, I got my shipping information for the Elka stage 3 front and rear shocks today. Exactly 8 weeks since I ordered to the day. Elkas production is extremely backed up due to the Coronavirus shut downs. So I should have them just in time to put some hours on them this weekend. All of my buddy's gave me a hard time over the pioneer until this past weekend, we were riding at a friends house and loaded 5 full grown men and a cooler full of beer..... I mean water into it and rode the trails for a while. Now they instantly love it 🤣, it's definitely a party wagon. I'm extremely excited to get my shocks on, I'm not generally good at waiting for things and I spent just over 2K on these shocks 2 full months ago, I won't be checking my email multiple times a day every day anymore 🤣.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just a quick update, I got my shipping information for the Elka stage 3 front and rear shocks today. Exactly 8 weeks since I ordered to the day. Elkas production is extremely backed up due to the Coronavirus shut downs. So I should have them just in time to put some hours on them this weekend. All of my buddy's gave me a hard time over the pioneer until this past weekend, we were riding at a friends house and loaded 5 full grown men and a cooler full of beer..... I mean water into it and rode the trails for a while. Now they instantly love it 🤣, it's definitely a party wagon. I'm extremely excited to get my shocks on, I'm not generally good at waiting for things and I spent just over 2K on these shocks 2 full months ago, I won't be checking my email multiple times a day every day anymore 🤣.
They may get hung up at the border until you pay the excise tax, you can do that with a credit card, that triggers the local tax collector to send you a bill, been there done that.

2Ladiesdad

May 31, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They may get hung up at the border until you pay the excise tax, you can do that with a credit card, that triggers the local tax collector to send you a bill, been there done that.
I ordered through through a vendor not directly from elka, I would assume they have all of that in order.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I ordered through through a vendor not directly from elka, I would assume they have all of that in order.
I would think so, if it's a USA vender they should have a vender # to get across the border / tax number.

2Ladiesdad

May 31, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would think so, if it's a USA vender they should have a vender # to get across the border / tax number.
I ordered through iShock based in California. The tracking info shows them at customs awaiting clearance now so hopefully they will be on the way shortly.

Reactions: Isaiah and Adam490
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Get a sport SXS don't look back. The pioneer is a utility SXS with some sport ability. My wife always tells me the faster you go the smoother the ride.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!