P500 New P520 Battery Discharges

G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Picked up new 520 from dealer this week, dealer wanted to know if I wanted a battery maintainer installed before I loaded it up. He said battery will discharge after 2-3 weeks of not being used. He claimed the electronics don't go to sleep and has a parasitic draw which will drain the battery. Is this true or was he trying to up sell me more options before I left?

P520

Reactions: Morpheus and pappyo
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Picked up new 520 from dealer this week, dealer wanted to know if I wanted a battery maintainer installed before I loaded it up. He said battery will discharge after 2-3 weeks of not being used. He claimed the electronics don't go to sleep and has a parasitic draw which will drain the battery. Is this true or was he trying to up sell me more options before I left?

View attachment 318637
Up selling you . IF you want one get a Battery Tender for like 25.00 .

G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Kind a figured he was blowing me smoke, if that was a problem there would be a lot of late used Honda models Honda for sale.

Reactions: Morpheus
stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It’s like those rust preventing electronic modules the dealers push for new cars. $500 per unit makes for good profits for the dealers. They are up selling.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
1st.Welcome from central upstate N.Y

Battery Tender or
Master Shutoff Switch on the Battery Ground Cable. ( Doubles as Anti Theft Device )
Take your pick -- Both or either one --- WILL Add to Battery Longevity.

Just another Twist on the subject.

Leave it set unused long enough & Battery Voltage Will be Reduced.( Cold Weather will Shorten term length )
Honda Pioneer's ( "ARE Sensitive to " Voltage Drop" )
Creates odd - Strating - Running - Shifting & other PROBLEMS
Best to Not Create ( our own headaches ) & spend that time Riding & Enjoying the New Toy.
P.S. I have a twin to that 2022 P520 -- in Gray.

Reactions: Morpheus and Dave75
RLC59

RLC59

Feb 8, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
I use a battery tender on my P500 but it sits in my shed for 3 months over the winter. My P500 already had the connector wired in for the tender by the battery box just had to pop the cover off the connector and plug it in.

Reactions: Morpheus and Dave75
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
the clock is the parasitic draw, so the dealer is correct, I use a battery tender on everything, garden tractor, talon, generator, etc.

the cold doesn't help either, if you run it a lot, probably not needed

I learned the hard way on a drz400 years ago, killed 2 batteries on that thing in under a year and then put a battery tender on and never had another issue with the battery for years until I sold it

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 318637
Absolutely unnecessary they are definitely trying to up sell. My 2018 P-500 has sat this year for a few weeks at a time in sub zero temperatures -15 to -20 degrees below zero due to not needing to plow and being colder than a well diggers A**. I cycle the key 4-5 times letting the fuel pump cycle before I fire it and it starts up without issue. It has the original battery and 2500 miles on it. You will be just fine not spending the $ on a maintainer.

advertisement
T Bone

T Bone

Mar 30, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 318637
Use it to haul wood to the house in the winter, problem solved.

J

JimP50

Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all. I have aP-500 2017 with the limited space in battery box , and cover on box how would you hook up battery minder and or to jump a battery. Is there a remote connector to help in this situation. Thanks for all the help. Jim

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I ran heavy battery cables under the floor up to the front hood compartment. The terminal posts on the winch relay is my power drop for everything in the front. I have the “pig tail“ for my battery tender hanging off of the winch relay. I am thinking of mounting some sort of bus bar or extra terminal in the battery compartment. That area on a 500 is really cramped, I hate working on it. It would be really tough to get jumper cables in there.

P

powerfitz

Nov 11, 2014
Most people will go without a tender. But as soon as their machine does start it’s always the dealers fault. Save yourself some time and put a NOCO tender on your machine. It’s cheap insurance

K

kjdocs

Dec 13, 2021
Louisianna
Ownership

1. 520
Wire one of these in and you won't have to take that battery cover off every time. Mine's plugged in 24/7 when not being ridden.

Does that kit include terminal connections as well? I've not looked in the battery box yet, but was wanting to do this.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Does that kit include terminal connections as well? I've not looked in the battery box yet, but was wanting to do this.

A Deltran battery tender comes with those connectors and it plugs into this pigtail.

K

kjdocs

Dec 13, 2021
Louisianna
Ownership

1. 520
tracy guy

tracy guy

Nov 29, 2021
California
Ownership

1. 700-4
A Deltran battery tender comes with those connectors and it plugs into this pigtail.

I have 1 Harley and 1 Harbor Freight and 6 Delran's maintainers. The Harley is still working and 3 Deltran chargers quit after a year or two. The HF works, but if the power go out it will drain the battery. You Tube has a quick fix showing how to replace the capacitor in the Deltrans and Amazon sells the part. Its a pennies compared to buying a new one. It is also a good idea to unplug a maintainer once in a while and leave it off for a couple of weeks and see if the battery still starts your machine. I have Coleman solar maintainers on 2 quads I leave at a cabin.

Reactions: trigger
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
My P-5 (2015) still has original battery. Rough winter this year but it's been fine. Keep terminals clean. Not sure the difference in parasitic drag but my Rhino was a battery eater. Way worse after MSD programmer. Had to jump to a 6 watt maintainer from a 1.5. Batteries are random and you can 'break' them. Oh, did I say keep keep terminals clean.....

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!