New Pioneer 1000 EPS

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to Honda UTV's. I have always owned Yamaha's 1st being a Big bear 4x4 for 8 years No problems sold it for half of what I paid for it. Next a Yamaha Grizzly 4x4, Ran it for 8 years, sold it for over half of what I paid for it. Next a Yamaha Rhino 660 4x4, ran it for 11 years, sold it for half of what I paid for it. No problems out of any of them. Decided to try a Honda and just purchased a Pioneer 1000 EPS. Hope to get the same kind of service out of this one and have just as good of re-sell value in the end. I have not picked the machine up yet, they should be calling any day.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@TractorMan Welcome to the Club! The Pioneer 1000 should serve you well, you will definitely like the ride and power it offers.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to Honda UTV's. I have always owned Yamaha's 1st being a Big bear 4x4 for 8 years No problems sold it for half of what I paid for it. Next a Yamaha Grizzly 4x4, Ran it for 8 years, sold it for over half of what I paid for it. Next a Yamaha Rhino 660 4x4, ran it for 11 years, sold it for half of what I paid for it. No problems out of any of them. Decided to try a Honda and just purchased a Pioneer 1000 EPS. Hope to get the same kind of service out of this one and have just as good of re-sell value in the end. I have not picked the machine up yet, they should be calling any day.
Welcome to the forum. Your streak of owning a atv/utv and having it a few years and at least getting half the value out of it when you sell it will still continue! Congrats on the new rig?

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am sure that the Honda will last also. Getting older now, sure as heck do not want to have to work on one. Just smile and ride.

Reactions: Stauvo and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am sure that the Honda will last also. Getting older now, sure as heck do not want to have to work on one. Just smile and ride.

I agree with @JACKAL, you should be impressed with the ride and power. The reliability and resell should be expected with a Honda.

Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Everyone knows Honda quads will last forever. We've all seen them with 10-20000 miles. We've owned multiple sxs's with way less then good luck and were so excited when Honda came out with the 700-4 which we VERY HAPPILY owned for 2700 flawless miles before getting what you have now. We got just under 1000 less then we paid for it right in the middle of the 1000 craze when it came out. Love the 1000!!! It's been incredible! Good choice glad to see you here riding the big (H) Share pics when you get them.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Picked the Pioneer 1000 EPS up today. Brought it home, went through the owners manual, walked around the machine and familiarized myself with it while checking everything out really well. Everything looked good so I took it for a little drive. Put about 30 miles on it total and I have to say that it rides, runs, handles very well. Quieter than my Rhino 660 and I like the way that it up shifts and down shifts.Also Like the way you can put it in manual and use the paddle shifters for going through tight spots and over the rough terrain. I am very impressed. There were 2 things that I did notice that I would like to ask about though. There is a lot of heat that comes up from under the seat, may be because my full windshield is on and causing a low pressure area in the cab drawing the heat in. I will try tomorrow without the windshield. This will be nice in the winter but I could do without the extra heat in the summer. Next thing. I thought that these machines came with Maxis Big Horn 2.0 tires. Mine came with Black Stone made in china tires. Wonder if the dealer pulled a little money saving trick to get his profit up. Can anyone who has a Pioneer 1000 EPS let me know what came on theirs please. Thanks. Right now I am very happy and feel as though this machine might be another keeper. Time will tell

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Very nice to hear another satisfied customer. I think as Honda people we expect more sowe can sometimes nitpick them but it's nice they just run. Other branded people get on hear and see that and give hell. However they don't die. Truly happy you like her. Get some photos up when you can. And welcome to the dark side the force is with you

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Picked the Pioneer 1000 EPS up today. Brought it home, went through the owners manual, walked around the machine and familiarized myself with it while checking everything out really well. Everything looked good so I took it for a little drive. Put about 30 miles on it total and I have to say that it rides, runs, handles very well. Quieter than my Rhino 660 and I like the way that it up shifts and down shifts.Also Like the way you can put it in manual and use the paddle shifters for going through tight spots and over the rough terrain. I am very impressed. There were 2 things that I did notice that I would like to ask about though. There is a lot of heat that comes up from under the seat, may be because my full windshield is on and causing a low pressure area in the cab drawing the heat in. I will try tomorrow without the windshield. This will be nice in the winter but I could do without the extra heat in the summer. Next thing. I thought that these machines came with Maxis Big Horn 2.0 tires. Mine came with Black Stone made in china tires. Wonder if the dealer pulled a little money saving trick to get his profit up. Can anyone who has a Pioneer 1000 EPS let me know what came on theirs please. Thanks. Right now I am very happy and feel as though this machine might be another keeper. Time will tell
Only the 5 seat deluxe comes with the Bighorns. I noticed heat with my windshield closed, but if I open it up it all but disappears.

P

Portuge

May 20, 2016
Oakland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only the 5 seat deluxe comes with the Bighorns. I noticed heat with my windshield closed, but if I open it up it all but disappears.
I recently purchased the 1000-5 deluxe model and have had heating issues in it as well. I purchased a infared gun to measure the temp and it showed a little over 142 degrees on the plastic between the front seat cushions in the middle and passenger front seat area. This measurement was confirmed by the dealership...they got around 140 degrees. I have contacted Honda and they said they are aware of the problem and are looking into it. I would recommend contacting them if you are still having the heating issue.

advertisement
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the info. I will ride without the windshield tomorrow and see how it feels. Never could ride in the summer with the windshield on the Rhino either but man was it nice early in the morning in the winter. A couple pictures, top one of me enjoying the view out the door of my shop. Bottom picture of me picking the Monster up today from the dealer. Just a tad bigger than the Rhino 660 but I like that extra room.
20160520 150947
20160520 143416

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
She is sexy I like that top pick!!!! Very cool

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Today I took the top half of the windshield off and rode for a while. Heat issue was better but still present. Went back to the shop and took the lower half off also, that solved it for me. The heat problem went away totally. The area by the middle seat was barely warm to the touch. The windshield is causing a low pressure area in the cockpit of the machine and that low pressure area pulls heated air from under the seat in the engine area into the cockpit. Like I said in my last post I had the same issue with the Rhino I had. You had to take the windshield off in the summer or cook.

Reactions: ghost
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did discover another issue today with my Pioneer 1000 EPS. When I shifted from turf mode to 4x4 locked differential to go through a muddy area in the trail the display on the instrument panel never went to 4x4 diff lock. Drove all the way through the mud and still was not on. Backed up, still not on, drove some more and it finally came on. Then shifted to turf mode and the display changed to 2 wheel drive mode. ( not turf mode with the little x through the rear diff showing it is unlocked). Drove it forward, backward, shifted into other modes and then back to turf mode and still not going into turf mode. Funny thing is if I hold my other shift lever to the right then it goes into turf mode. When I let it go it goes back into 2x with the diff locked. Do these machines use electronics to shift or are they set up with cables. I am stumped. I think it just needs an adjustment but I don't know. Will call the dealer Monday. By the way I do stop with engine at idle to shift like the manual states.

Reactions: Stauvo
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did discover another issue today with my Pioneer 1000 EPS. When I shifted from turf mode to 4x4 locked differential to go through a muddy area in the trail the display on the instrument panel never went to 4x4 diff lock. Drove all the way through the mud and still was not on. Backed up, still not on, drove some more and it finally came on. Then shifted to turf mode and the display changed to 2 wheel drive mode. ( not turf mode with the little x through the rear diff showing it is unlocked). Drove it forward, backward, shifted into other modes and then back to turf mode and still not going into turf mode. Funny thing is if I hold my other shift lever to the right then it goes into turf mode. When I let it go it goes back into 2x with the diff locked. Do these machines use electronics to shift or are they set up with cables. I am stumped. I think it just needs an adjustment but I don't know. Will call the dealer Monday. By the way I do stop with engine at idle to shift like the manual states.

I have a shop manual down in the shop, I can get you the info to properly adjust the shifter cables tomorrow.

Hopefully for you, someone will beat me to it so you don't have to wait on me.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a shop manual down in the shop, I can get you the info to properly adjust the shifter cables tomorrow.

Hopefully for you, someone will beat me to it so you don't have to wait on me.
Thanks. I appreciate that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Today I took the top half of the windshield off and rode for a while. Heat issue was better but still present. Went back to the shop and took the lower half off also, that solved it for me. The heat problem went away totally. The area by the middle seat was barely warm to the touch. The windshield is causing a low pressure area in the cockpit of the machine and that low pressure area pulls heated air from under the seat in the engine area into the cockpit. Like I said in my last post I had the same issue with the Rhino I had. You had to take the windshield off in the summer or cook.
It's nice to take windshield out in dust or heat! It takes 30sec to put back in.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dang it! Had to run to Birmingham unexpectedly this morning and got back late.

Let's try again tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone 10s

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!