P1000 New shoes for Moab

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just retired from the military and I'm taking the family to Moab for a couple weeks, probably in July. In preparation, I was thinking I should replace the stock tires on my pioneer. I'm interested in an all around tire and some googling told me that the BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 were a good choice. It looks like they come in 28x10-14 which seems like it is close to the front tire size but will this size work all around? Does anyone have any recommendations other than this tire? Other than this trip, we use our Pioneer around the house for chores, do some trail riding, a little mudding (nothing crazy or video worthy), and I haven't attempted any rock climbing as I'm still afraid to damage my machine. I don't have a lift installed as an FYI for anyone who wants to offer any other options.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I just retired from the military and I'm taking the family to Moab for a couple weeks, probably in July. In preparation, I was thinking I should replace the stock tires on my pioneer. I'm interested in an all around tire and some googling told me that the BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 were a good choice. It looks like they come in 28x10-14 which seems like it is close to the front tire size but will this size work all around? Does anyone have any recommendations other than this tire? Other than this trip, we use our Pioneer around the house for chores, do some trail riding, a little mudding (nothing crazy or video worthy), and I haven't attempted any rock climbing as I'm still afraid to damage my machine. I don't have a lift installed as an FYI for anyone who wants to offer any other options.

I've never been to Moab but ride with quite a few guys that have (@Ragnar406 @GlockMeister). I believe the general consensus is that basically anything that is round and made of rubber has traction there :). The Tusk Terrabites are always a good go to tire for all-around use like you describe. They aren't very good in thick mud, but the price is right and they've held up great for a number of us that ride on the east coast. The BFG's you mentioned would be fine too, I just have zero experience with them. As far as size goes, 28x10-14 on all 4 corners would be just fine on your factory wheels.

These are 30x10-14 Terrabites on the factory deluxe wheels (also 30x10-14 on my machine in the back but on Tusk Teton beadlocks). You can see his are a little more rounded in profile due to the narrower stock wheel:

Last edited:
C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never been to Moab but ride with quite a few guys that have (@Ragnar406 @GlockMeister). I believe the general consensus is that basically anything that is round and made of rubber has traction there :). The Tusk Terrabites are always a good go to tire for all-around use like you describe. They aren't very good in thick mud, but the price is right and they've held up great for a number of us that ride on the east coast. The BFG's you mentioned would be fine too, I just have zero experience with them. As far as size goes, 28x10-14 on all 4 corners would be just fine on your factory wheels.

These are 30x10-14 Terrabites on the factory deluxe wheels (also 30x10-14 on my machine in the back but on Tusk Teton beadlocks). You can see his are a little more rounded in profile due to the narrower stock wheel:

View attachment 271256
Thank you! I really want bigger tires, but our machine barely fits in our fifth wheel in it's stock configuration. I have to put weight in it to make it squat under the bed rails in the garage area and then strap over the roll cage to keep it down so it doesn't rub.

I'll look into the Tusks that you mentioned. Do you know if they hold up ok on the road? We're street legal and make short runs to the corner store as necessary.

Reactions: Lady01 and Adam490
C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 271256
I saw that a couple folks say those tires run a little small, is that your experience as well?

I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replaced my stock Honda tries with with Tusk Terrabites, and they do run smaller. Just as a heads up they are week in sand, My opinion. That was the only down fall I found with them.

Good Luck

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I saw that a couple folks say those tires run a little small, is that your experience as well?
They do run a bit smaller. My buddy runs the 28x10-14 and they measured out to about 27.5 once on the machine and aired up to 10-12 psi. The stock 27" Big Horns aren't actually 27's either, so you're still getting a larger tire with the 28's. They hold up great on the road and are a DOT rated tire. Just make sure your machine is aligned properly so you don't eat up the front tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01
C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replaced my stock Honda tries with with Tusk Terrabites, and they do run smaller. Just as a heads up they are week in sand, My opinion. That was the only down fall I found with them.

Good Luck
Thanks for the info; I am hesitant to run in sand at all with my Pioneer. Call me crazy, but I feel like it's underpowered to run paddles and deflating my tires will just get me stuck..... a lot.

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They do run a bit smaller. My buddy runs the 28x10-14 and they measured out to about 27.5 once on the machine and aired up to 10-12 psi. The stock 27" Big Horns aren't actually 27's either, so you're still getting a larger tire with the 28's. They hold up great on the road and are a DOT rated tire. Just make sure your machine is aligned properly so you don't eat up the front tires.
Ok, thanks for that. I was looking at the 29", but if you feel like the 28" were still bigger than the 27 stock tires, then maybe I'll look at those. Thanks for the tip on checking alignment. I'm considering ordering new rims and tires just to make it possible to change things out myself. Guess I'll have to YouTube how check and adjust alignment on this thing.

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never been to Moab, I have heard front multiple sources that the STI Roctane HD is the tire on choice.
Sedona Rock A Billies 28/10-14 are great all around tire. 28/10-14 tires fit perfect front and rear on stock wheels.

D

DDDonkey

Thanks for the info; I am hesitant to run in sand at all with my Pioneer. Call me crazy, but I feel like it's underpowered to run paddles and deflating my tires will just get me stuck..... a lot.

Don't be afraid to run sand in the pioneer, it does fine just put it in 4wd and sport mode. I have taken my pioneer to Glamins with stock tires, paddles, and with 35's and it does very well, the only limitation is the wheel travel. You can make it pretty much any where a sport machine can go with paddles, it just takes some driver skill.

As for tire for Moab I just bought some STI X Comps to run out there this year, I like the squared off design and larger tread gap.

I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope I was clear that the Terrabites were the week part. the Pioneer did fine power wise.

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As for tire for Moab I just bought some STI X Comps to run out there this year, I like the squared off design and larger tread gap.
Those look pretty bad@$$! They're considerably more than the Terrabites, so I'm likely leaning that way though. If I can save a few hundred it will help as I'm likely springing for a roof, bed extender, and the new tires (maybe with rims).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!