New Talon coming side skid plates and trailing arm guard question

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Picking up our new Talon X on Wednesday. We ride in Arizona some and wondering if the Honda side skid plate and trailing arm guards are worth getting? We go through a few places that are a little rocky although I take it easy I’ve banged my 1000-5 under door pipe on rocks a couple of times. When we were at the dealership I forgot to look under the machine to see what the factory skid plate looks like. The description of the side skid plates says Integrates with Honda Accessory Frame Skid Plates. (required). Does anyone know if the side skid plates will work with the stock skid plate. I get a discount at the dealership for the Honda parts. I know some aftermarket stuff is probably better but I can’t afford it at this time. Also stopping at TSC and picking up a storage box. They seem to be popular for a budget box for Talon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TimG and TxDoc
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The factory plates are 1/8" plastic sheets. Not very much protection!!!!!!
I just installed the Trail Armor 1/2" skids, these also come up the sides a little to protect the side tubes and rear fenders. They do collect more debris and are more work to clean, but i feel well worth the extra work.
IMO these machines should not be taken on any rocky trails where you would strick the bottom before after market skids are added.
PM me if you have any questions.
20201114 16443920201114 16444820201114 164430

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
The factory plates are 1/8" plastic sheets. Not very much protection!!!!!!
I just installed the Trail Armor 1/2" skids, these also come up the sides a little to protect the side tubes and rear fenders. They do collect more debris and are more work to clean, but i feel well worth the extra work.
IMO these machines should not be taken on any rocky trails where you would strick the bottom View attachment 239449View attachment 239450View attachment 239451before aftermarket skids are added.
PM me if you have any questions.
I agree. Worth the money

Reactions: Tramguage1
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
They look great but unfortunately over my budget right now. Considering the Honda skid plate too now. For the type of riding I do I think it will do.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
They look great but unfortunately over my budget right now. Considering the Honda skid plate too now. For the type of riding I do I think it will do.

The Honda skid plate will do fine also. Especially for the type of riding it sounds like you're doing. On my Talon X the damage that I incurred most before I added a skid plate and tree kickers/rock sliders was fender damage. You might consider doing the Honda tree kickers and you would be fine holding off on the skid plate if you are not someone that sends it. But the stock skid plate does need replacement in the end.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The Honda skid plate will do fine also. Especially for the type of riding it sounds like you're doing. On my Talon X the damage that I incurred most before I added a skid plate and tree kickers/rock sliders was fender damage. You might consider doing the Honda tree kickers and you would be fine holding off on the skid plate if you are not someone that sends it. But the stock skid plate does need replacement in the end.
Damaged the lower mounting tabs on both rear fenders first trail ride.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The stock skid assembly is nothing more than a dust cover. The TA skid and trailing arm guards definitely gave me sticker shock :oops: so I understand your concerns there. I'm a fairly conservative rider but have still drug bottom when I least expected it. As long as your speeds are low enough, dragging shouldn't bend metal, it'll just tear the skid and scratch metal hopefully. Lil_Steve's pics are in Arizona btw.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota

When you say Tree kickers are you referring to the side skid plates?

Reactions: Mudwing
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Tree kickers are nerf bars for your rear tires, so you can't snag them on a tree. The side skid plates protect the running boards.

Reactions: Mudwing
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

What @CID said but they do protect from the rocks also...at least I use mine for it!)

Reactions: CID
Racerhed

Racerhed

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ashland OH
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X LV
Reviving an old thread. What kickers are you guys running on your Talons?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Reviving an old thread. What kickers are you guys running on your Talons?
I am running AED tree kickers and they have been great. They have taken a beating so far. Warhead and others make a quality kicker also.

Reactions: Racerhed
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I’ve beat the crap out of Honda OEM. Still holding on but bent a lot. Nex time I’ll just go with trail armor wrap around skid.

Reactions: Racerhed and CID
Racerhed

Racerhed

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ashland OH
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X LV
I’ve beat the crap out of Honda OEM. Still holding on but bent a lot. Nex time I’ll just go with trail armor wrap around skid.
I’ve been looking at Talon pics online to see if people are running the Trail Armor wrap around skid AND kickers. I just ordered the T/A wrap skid and lower doors. I’m browsing winch plates and bumpers now. I’ll appreciate insight into the bumper/ winch plate as well. Thanks!

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I’ve been looking at Talon pics online to see if people are running the Trail Armor wrap around skid AND kickers. I just ordered the T/A wrap skid and lower doors. I’m browsing winch plates and bumpers now. I’ll appreciate insight into the bumper/ winch plate as well. Thanks!
I don't see a reason why you would run both. The kickers would stop anything from hitting the wrap around portion of skid. Also would take a lot of cutting and modification of wrap around portion of skid to mount kicker.

Racerhed

Racerhed

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ashland OH
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X LV
I don't see a reason why you would run both. The kickers would stop anything from hitting the wrap around portion of skid. Also would take a lot of cutting and modification of wrap around portion of skid to mount kicker.
I assumed the kickers were to stop trees and stuff from getting wedged between the front of the rear tire and the body/ fender. Then I assumed the wrap around T/A would protect the bottom of the rocker. Of course that’s the problem with assumptions… and lack of experience on my behalf. 😜

Reactions: Vondy
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I assumed the kickers were to stop trees and stuff from getting wedged between the front of the rear tire and the body/ fender. Then I assumed the wrap around T/A would protect the bottom of the rocker. Of course that’s the problem with assumptions… and lack of experience on my behalf. 😜
You aren't completely wrong, in tight woods kickers will help keep trees from wedging between the rear tire and body work. BUT they'll also get snagged in there, if they get in there and then yer in deep doo doo. There aren't many trees where I ride so I don't need them but the Blown Budget Offroad guys have seen kickers cause as many problems as they prevent. When you're trying to back out of a sticky situation, the kickers can cause more problems than they're worth, sometimes. Pluses and minuses to everything.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!