New to me 2018 P1000-5 deluxe

J

jeffasweet

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2020
Chimacum, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats and nice rig, @jeffasweet. I'm a bit partial to the Phantom Camo.

There's no single perfect tongue weight, but ideally it should somewhere between about 9 and 15 percent of the total trailer weight (trailer + bike + everything else on the trailer) for a ball mount trailer. If the tongue weight is too light, it can sway side to side and, if it's too heavy, you risk overloading the trailer tires and impairing your steering.

There are a few ways to determine tongue weight. Load up your bike and everything you plan on towing on the trailer on a nice, flat surface. Then grab a bathroom scale. Place a couple of pieces of 4x4 across the scale and lower the trailer tongue down on it. This method works OK for total trailer weights up to about 3K pounds. Anything more than that could damage the scale, so if that is the case, you could use an actual tongue weight scale or perhaps take it to a commercial weigh station (weigh the tow vehicle with it on the scale but the trailer wheels OFF the scale, then unhook the trailer and weigh the tow vehicle by itself. The difference will be your tongue weight.

Super helpful insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've been reading the forums and shopping for a while and finally decided to stop waiting for the 22/23's and get one used. Had to drive 441 miles to Idaho from Western Washington to pick it up, I'm also super happy with how the new tilt trailer pulled. Next time I think I'll have it a little further back on the trailer. The Macs tie downs are great though I couldn't get the side opposite the ratchet super tight. I also didn't like that the hooks and the e-track rings weren't perpendicular.

It's got 4200 miles on it, and he said oil was just changed, it looked clean, but he didn't know if the sub-transmission was done. I'm tempted to just do them both to ensure I've got a good baseline.

Where's a good source for OEM parts? I noticed the gasket around the air filter box was broken.

Now to start prioritizing upgrades. The SuperATV flip up windshield is on order.

I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions as I get going.

Thanks,
Jeff

View attachment 320279 View attachment 320280 View attachment 320281
NICE! Welcome to the Club from NW Arkansas!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!