New to me 2018 P1000-5 deluxe

J

jeffasweet

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2020
Chimacum, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been reading the forums and shopping for a while and finally decided to stop waiting for the 22/23's and get one used. Had to drive 441 miles to Idaho from Western Washington to pick it up, I'm also super happy with how the new tilt trailer pulled. Next time I think I'll have it a little further back on the trailer. The Macs tie downs are great though I couldn't get the side opposite the ratchet super tight. I also didn't like that the hooks and the e-track rings weren't perpendicular.

It's got 4200 miles on it, and he said oil was just changed, it looked clean, but he didn't know if the sub-transmission was done. I'm tempted to just do them both to ensure I've got a good baseline.

Where's a good source for OEM parts? I noticed the gasket around the air filter box was broken.

Now to start prioritizing upgrades. The SuperATV flip up windshield is on order.

I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions as I get going.

Thanks,
Jeff

3F108C4F 4995 46DC BBB1 5BE23AEB2DB1 28139A57 E8C1 4ACF BF68 B059E9AFF86D F1EF9F24 C8D4 45CA 95D4 8A71DC3FE38D

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You would be wise to change fluids and filters including engine coolant to be sure it's been done.

Be aware that the odd arrangement for draining and refilling the sub-transmission results in a few sub-transmissions being drained but not refilled occasionally if changed by someone other than a dealership Honda tech.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A couple good sources for OEM parts are Rocky Mountain ATV and Partzilla. Partzilla isn't always the best price, but they usually have more stock and I use their price as my baseline when shopping.

A smaller shop, ronayers.com, has hit the radar with (often) great oem prices. You must register with the site to see the better pricing.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats. I bought my 2018 back in August. First thing I did was change all the fluids. Engine oil, DCT, sub trans, and front/ rear diffs. Drop your skid plate when you do it. This will make things easier and you can also check everything out real good under there. Doing all this will help you to get to know your machine. It can be confusing at first but once you do it, it will all make sense.

advertisement
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I lived in Shawnee in high school. A lifetime ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Been through there many times. Live in Edmond, and own property that we ride on about 15 miles north of Shawnee. Its really built up all along I-35, including a huge Honda Powersports Dealer.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Congrats and nice rig, @jeffasweet. I'm a bit partial to the Phantom Camo.
I'm also super happy with how the new tilt trailer pulled. Next time I think I'll have it a little further back on the trailer.

There's no single perfect tongue weight, but ideally it should somewhere between about 9 and 15 percent of the total trailer weight (trailer + bike + everything else on the trailer) for a ball mount trailer. If the tongue weight is too light, it can sway side to side and, if it's too heavy, you risk overloading the trailer tires and impairing your steering.

There are a few ways to determine tongue weight. Load up your bike and everything you plan on towing on the trailer on a nice, flat surface. Then grab a bathroom scale. Place a couple of pieces of 4x4 across the scale and lower the trailer tongue down on it. This method works OK for total trailer weights up to about 3K pounds. Anything more than that could damage the scale, so if that is the case, you could use an actual tongue weight scale or perhaps take it to a commercial weigh station (weigh the tow vehicle with it on the scale but the trailer wheels OFF the scale, then unhook the trailer and weigh the tow vehicle by itself. The difference will be your tongue weight.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!