New member from Tryon, NC. Soon to be new P1K5 Trail owner...

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which is why I put 'Ordered' in quotes in my original post. Supposedly they have an 'allocation' coming end of March. They are a 'Powerhouse Dealer' or whatever that means, but am hoping their allocation is for real. I called around a bunch of places and the Trail version wasn't available, and when I asked about 'ordering one', they basically told me what you told me. They are allocated and that I could put a deposit down and they would go find one. This dealer said they had an allocation coming end of March. So, we'll see. If I post pictures at the end of the month, then you know it was for real...
Welcome from WV.

I went through this last year to get our 23 Trail. There was such a lack of supply at the time all I could do was get in line. Took 6 months, Sept 22 to April 23. But I think the supply is in WAY better shape now.

The process was actually really easy with our local dealer. Small deposit placed to put us in line. Called when they had one coming to see if I still wanted it. Told him yes. About a week later he called saying it was in. Went up, signed, paid, and brought it home.

I was told at the time of deposit that it was fully refundable if I found one somewhere else or changed my mind.
The deposit was just something that showed true interest and held my spot in line in my opinion.

It was worth the wait BTW!

messex

messex

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 1, 2024
Tryon, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from WV.

I went through this last year to get our 23 Trail. There was such a lack of supply at the time all I could do was get in line. Took 6 months, Sept 22 to April 23. But I think the supply is in WAY better shape now.

The process was actually really easy with our local dealer. Small deposit placed to put us in line. Called when they had one coming to see if I still wanted it. Told him yes. About a week later he called saying it was in. Went up, signed, paid, and brought it home.

I was told at the time of deposit that it was fully refundable if I found one somewhere else or changed my mind.
The deposit was just something that showed true interest and held my spot in line in my opinion.

It was worth the wait BTW!
Thanks for the info. I was basically told the same thing - it was fully refundable and really 'no questions asked'. There are a few Deluxe models around, but thought I would try and get the Trail edition, if indeed they have one coming at the end of the month. Now, if it ends up taking 6 months, I may have to go buy a Deluxe model and add what I want! I've been waiting 2 years for the Audi RS6 I ordered. Luckily, I bought one a month after I ordered mine, with most of the things I wanted. I still have that order in, and am scheduled for a June build, but not holding my breath!

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I felt like the extras on the Trail made the cost/benefit worth it. I really wanted the better shocks, probably more so since upgrading from a 700. The shocks, winch, and under dash storage (which I didn’t know about until after) are all pretty nice.

And I just found out recently that the other models don’t come with back lit switches. So you have to hold out for one now. 😂 P1000 - 1000-6 Illuminated Headlight Switch ?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I felt like the extras on the Trail made the cost/benefit worth it. I really wanted the better shocks, probably more so since upgrading from a 700. The shocks, winch, and under dash storage (which I didn’t know about until after) are all pretty nice.

And I just found out recently that the other models don’t come with back lit switches. So you have to hold out for one now. 😂 P1000 - 1000-6 Illuminated Headlight Switch ?
All good stuff, but you do lose the front locker with the Trail model.

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All good stuff, but you do lose the front locker with the Trail model.
Yeah, I was originally a little concerned about the i4wd. Read a long review about it here that helped ease my mind. So far it’s been flawless and the steering is very light while it’s engaged. I do wish they had another selection for full diff lock beyond the i4wd but so far hasn’t been an issue. Not that it’s needed, but I think that would please a lot of people.

Something we learned though, it won’t go into 4wd until 2wd is fully engaged. So we no longer leave it in turf mode when things are starting to get rough.

The learning story: running in turf and got into a bit of a hole. Figured I’d stop and throw it in 4wd before continuing on. Nope, would not activate. Went right through in turf with plenty of throttle but made me start playing with the system. It will go right in 4 once in 2, but 2 can take some turning to lock. Therefore we now go to 2wd before it gets too sketchy.

Messex, I’m still learning the forum so not sure how to add a multi quote yet. 🤦‍♂️😂
You do lose front diff lock, but the i4wd takes its place. Works like a modern car’s traction control. No heavy steering. Can drive for miles with it engaged if you want unlike the diff lock. I’ve seen some i4wd bypass devices being sold but I’m not sure exactly what they do. We haven’t had any occasion where I said “man if only we had diff lock.”
These things go so well even in turf mode. Early on I challenged through some fairly muddy trails while leaving it in single wheel just to see what it would do.

messex

messex

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 1, 2024
Tryon, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The trail does not have a front locker. Only the base and deluxe get lockers. The others get I4WD

Thanks!

Messex, I’m still learning the forum so not sure how to add a multi quote yet. 🤦‍♂️😂
You do lose front diff lock, but the i4wd takes its place. Works like a modern car’s traction control. No heavy steering. Can drive for miles with it engaged if you want unlike the diff lock. I’ve seen some i4wd bypass devices being sold but I’m not sure exactly what they do. We haven’t had any occasion where I said “man if only we had diff lock.”
These things go so well even in turf mode. Early on I challenged through some fairly muddy trails while leaving it in single wheel just to see what it would do.

Thanks for the details. To Multi-quote, I just go to the various messages, hit quote, and mine says 'added to multi-quote'. Then, in the message I'm typing up, I hit 'Insert Quotes' and it shows all the ones I've quoted. Actually, first time doing it, but it appears to work!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just noticed your profile photo. That looks like a 22 Trial. Have you had any concerns with the i4wd? Any times you wish it had diff lock?
It’s a 22 deluxe. Only used the front locker a few times either in deep snow or wanting to cross a log at an angle. It works great but is not needed most of the time

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s a 22 deluxe. Only used the front locker a few times either in deep snow or wanting to cross a log at an angle. It works great but is not needed most of the time
😳 I would have bet money it was Trail color and decals. Oops.

I agree. We rarely had our 700 in Diff lock, and that was just as a precaution. Doubt it was ever even needed. But we are also fairly tame riders.

The 1000 goes much better than the 700 as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!