New to the Game

D

DesertSafari

Apr 9, 2016
AZ
Hi all, just bought a new Pioneer 1000 5. Ate crap hard yesterday and sunk it in a river after rolling down a boulder hill. Need advice on what to do with the engine as it is soaked to say the least. SxS veterans come to the rescue please...

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Change all the fluids is step one. Probably have to do this more than once. Then see where you need to go from there. Might have to QD a lot of electrical connections. Do you have insurance?

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Take all the spark plugs out and crank over thoroughly to get water out of cylinders. Get it running as soon as you can to dry everything out then change all the fluids, change fluid again on any that are still cloudy and keep checking for a couple of days.

D

DesertSafari

Apr 9, 2016
AZ
I have the engine going strong but will still change all fluids a few more times. Have replaced the damaged portions of the roll cage, but the other day I heard an odd clicking noise from the right rear wheel when turning right and found a dislodged shaft boot along with hub bearing and outboard joint filled with sand and gravel. I now have the parts in hand and am in the process of replacing the outboard joint, boot, and drive shaft. I am wondering, have you heard of people switching out the boot bands with thread tension hose clamps. I am not very impressed that getting stuck in a river caused two of my boot bands to come undone (not break, but unfasten). I have all new ones but before I install them I am contemplating replacing with large diameter hose clamps. Any thoughts?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have the engine going strong but will still change all fluids a few more times. Have replaced the damaged portions of the roll cage, but the other day I heard an odd clicking noise from the right rear wheel when turning right and found a dislodged shaft boot along with hub bearing and outboard joint filled with sand and gravel. I now have the parts in hand and am in the process of replacing the outboard joint, boot, and drive shaft. I am wondering, have you heard of people switching out the boot bands with thread tension hose clamps. I am not very impressed that getting stuck in a river caused two of my boot bands to come undone (not break, but unfasten). I have all new ones but before I install them I am contemplating replacing with large diameter hose clamps. Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear about your unexpected off road adventure down a hill and into a river. A regular(typical worm gear) hose clamp will pinch the boot and possible not seal correctly allowing contaminates to enter. However there may be an alternate solution providing you can find on the correct size, use the clamps that Honda puts on their Air intake systems for the came reason they apply equal pressure to seal up rubber intake boots. I am linking to what I substituted for my tie rod boot clamp thanks to @lee and his ingenuity it worked out perfect and made install and future removal if need be a breeze.

See the attached link: Multi - Field Stripping a Tie Rod The key is to find a clamp that adjusts to the correct diameter for your CV boot, but also consider the screw and nut ears spinning around while driving on a CV joint boot may catch on derbis unexpectedly jerking the clamp off under certain conditions.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!