P1000 New to this

LapZ

LapZ

Feb 27, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
So here is my story. May 2015 bought a Honda P700-4, then of course the P1000-5 came out and wanted one ever since. I was super happy with my P700, it was a beast, put about 1500 trail miles on it. So what do I do 2 weeks ago walk into my dealer and they have the P1000-5 same color as my old so I just trade it in, don't even think about it. Well after I trade in I start reading up on this forum more about them and see they can have a clutch issue. Now after some reading by the sounds of it if you stop machine to switch your 4wd and when your towing/hauling use 4 low should be fine. My question is does low voltage affect the clutch and if so what is best dual battery system, and why is second battery under driver seat and not under hood. Sorry if that's a lot of questions but this is my first time....

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
More room under the seat for a full size battery. Just ride it and enjoy. Don't worry about the clutches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So here is my story. May 2015 bought a Honda P700-4, then of course the P1000-5 came out and wanted one ever since. I was super happy with my P700, it was a beast, put about 1500 trail miles on it. So what do I do 2 weeks ago walk into my dealer and they have the P1000-5 same color as my old so I just trade it in, don't even think about it. Well after I trade in I start reading up on this forum more about them and see they can have a clutch issue. Now after some reading by the sounds of it if you stop machine to switch your 4wd and when your towing/hauling use 4 low should be fine. My question is does low voltage affect the clutch and if so what is best dual battery system, and why is second battery under driver seat and not under hood. Sorry if that's a lot of questions but this is my first time....
Low voltage will affect the shifting.the dual battery is for accessories. There are plenty of threads on here that will explain the dual set up. Some people but the second battery under the seat to lower the center of gravity or get a bigger battery that won't fit under the hood.

Reactions: LapZ
LapZ

LapZ

Feb 27, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Low voltage will affect the shifting.the dual battery is for accessories. There are plenty of threads on here that will explain the dual set up. Some people but the second battery under the seat to lower the center of gravity or get a bigger battery that won't fit under the hood.
Gotcha, So here's my next question. On my P700 I had Winch/Plow, sound bar, LED's around the house, Voltmeter panel. Do you think it would be wise to add a second battery for these accs. if low voltage affects the shifting?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotcha, So here's my next question. On my P700 I had Winch/Plow, sound bar, LED's around the house, Voltmeter panel. Do you think it would be wise to add a second battery for these accs. if low voltage affects the shifting?
I never had an issue using all that on the stock battery.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

What he said EXCEPT, low voltage affects the clutch Solenoid causing it to release.

Isolated second battery should prevent your system voltage from dropping dangerously low. Assuming all your accessories are connected to the second battery.

Also adding a second battery under the seat gave me 5 times the energy storage of the stock battery. Winch will pull harder longer.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Using a winch I would advise going to a dual battery set up. Using the winch at the same time might cause issues.

Reactions: ohanacreek
LapZ

LapZ

Feb 27, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
What he said EXCEPT, low voltage affects the clutch Solenoid causing it to release.

Isolated second battery should prevent your system voltage from dropping dangerously low. Assuming all your accessories are connected to the second battery.

Also adding a second battery under the seat gave me 5 times the energy storage of the stock battery. Winch will pull harder longer.
Do you use some type of battery isolator kit or just run them straight in a series

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you use some type of battery isolator kit or just run them straight in

Aaf112e6f9d15de340084c5a1a5ef2de

Same one most people are running.

advertisement
J

JTW

Lol.. I asked these same questions 3 or 4 months ago. This was the route I went, for what I do. I have a winch for incase scenarios, but I won't be winching hard like some of the guys. Oddessy under the hood battery works perfect for me!

IMG 2630 IMG 2635

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm a true fan of dual isolated battery. It protects the factory equipment. 16k of vehicle 150$ to possibly save it, give more power for accessories and not worry about not starting. It will save on low power shifts too. It's also nice to use accessories without the vehicle running.
I prefer spare battery under the hood there's even a spot for it and use under your under seat for storage or other goods. Big battery is great for long heavy winching but doesn't allow heavier use of any other accessories,but would give you a little more time with key off

Last edited:
LapZ

LapZ

Feb 27, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Thanks for all the response guys, I've been researching that True brand isolator, just trying to figure out how it actually worked, I think I have it figured it out. I do a lot of winching while plowing so I think I'll do the dual battery but with all these great ideas I will have to figure out where to put it... Hmmmm

K

kdgtrapper

Jan 9, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol.. I asked these same questions 3 or 4 months ago. This was the route I went, for what I do. I have a winch for incase scenarios, but I won't be winching hard like some of the guys. Oddessy under the hood battery works perfect for me!

View attachment 37609 View attachment 37610

Im new to this forum and how it all works. Is there a way to search for past posts or just scroll through until you find? I'm at a loss when it comes to understanding this wiring stuff. Are there any YouTube videos or how to videos you followed to set up yours?

Reactions: Ridem32
J

JTW

Top right magnifying glass icon to search on the site.. or google Honda sxs + your question. No video.. just read and look at the pics others have posted of their builds.. once familiar with what you're doing you can ask more specific questions. That's what I did..

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im new to this forum and how it all works. Is there a way to search for past posts or just scroll through until you find? I'm at a loss when it comes to understanding this wiring stuff. Are there any YouTube videos or how to videos you followed to set up yours?

Type in some key words in the search box as to what you are looking for and it should pop up.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

Also, first decide what accessories you'll be running, what you might add and then figure amp draw for those accessories.. that will give you a direction of build.

K

kdgtrapper

Jan 9, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Top right magnifying glass icon to search on the site.. or google Honda sxs + your question. No video.. just read and look at the pics others have posted of their builds.. once familiar with what you're doing you can ask more specific questions. That's what I did..

I was trying to search inside Tapatalk and not in the forum itself. Now it's working when I search off a keyword. Thanks for that! I

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

I was trying to search inside Tapatalk and not in the forum itself. Now it's working when I search off a keyword. Thanks for that! I

Yeah I think tapa talk doesn't always allow for the best search results on site.. (i think I've read that on here anyway) I don't use tapa talk. I view the site through regular web browser from my phone.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!