BOX1

Newbie from 60mi north of Titletown Wi

S

Schoeny

Nov 18, 2020
Crivitz, WI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi, I have a Ranger 500. Not a comfy ride at all. Put on 3600 miles in 2 years mostly on the trails. Bought her for around the place not trail riding, didn't think I would. Our last ride was 105 trail miles and it took 2 days to recover. I'm in my late 70's and my main mission is to get me a cushy ride. I'm generally joining here fo see what owners think about the 1000.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need to move more toward a pure sport for a better ride. The utility crossovers are not known for being cushy.

A RZR in Polaris would be much more comfortable than the ranger. The Pioneer 1000 is bumpy, look at Talon for a better ride.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. Never had a ranger, had an 07 Rhino and my Pioneer 1000 is a lot better. If I were you I might try to ride 3 or 4 different ones so you could actually feel the difference. A Talon would not work for me as our P1K is used a lot for utility/yard/farm work.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Hi, I have a Ranger 500. Not a comfy ride at all. Put on 3600 miles in 2 years mostly on the trails. Bought her for around the place not trail riding, didn't think I would. Our last ride was 105 trail miles and it took 2 days to recover. I'm in my late 70's and my main mission is to get me a cushy ride. I'm generally joining here fo see what owners think about the 1000.

Howdy from Oklahoma, and welcome to the Forum. I'm in my 70's too, and my "main Mission" is just to get out of bed in the morning. :)
I have a Pioneer 500, but I have driven a P1000, and it is a much nicer ride. I would have bought one, but most of the trails I ride are very narrow.
Plus you can't go wrong with a Honda.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
WELCOME! From NW Arkansas!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
There's really not much comfort difference from a ranger 500 to a pioneer 700 or 1000. You're pretty much riding high and hard. If you want to sit back and be comfy a Talon is probably what you're looking for. It was hard for me to adjust to my 700 from a 4 wheeler when you talk vision. So sitting back and lower would take some mental adjustments. When I'm off road, I like to see whats going on around the machine. So I guess what I'm trying to say is the more comfortable you get the less you see ahead and around you. How comfy are you looking to get?

S

Schoeny

Nov 18, 2020
Crivitz, WI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks folks. A RZR or Talon seem to be too extreme for me so a Pioneer 1000 or similar machine would have to do. Seems like i just answered my own question. How about quiet? Belt or gears......? I have never ridden a Honda but will soon. Obviously this is the Honda forum, but I'm wondering if most of you are really diehard fans. In our area I don't know of one owner so I can't ask anyone but a salesman.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Can Am Commander is one you should look into. It's kind of a crossover and less aggressive than the pure sports, but it's not as utility as a Pioneer or a Ranger.

My buddy who rides with me in my Pioneer all the time rode in one and raved about how much more comfortable the ride was.

RonsTalon

RonsTalon

Nov 6, 2020
L.A.
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello from California, I’m 63 years old and I have a talon 1000R . I find it rather comfortable with just a Stock set up: I know guys like to do a lot of mods to them and that’s great but for me I love the ride of the stock vehicle . I am also a new member and became a member after meeting somebody on the trail recently , Shout out to deltaJP

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I had a ranger 570 and bought a pioneer 1000-5 around July of this year as a second utv so we could trail ride as a family.

I don’t really think the ride is smoother, other than the power steering is nice because I didn’t have that on the ranger. It is quieter for sure. The rangers are always revving high because of the cvt. And there is way more power is and it is smoother. I never really need to go full throttle on the pioneer unless I’m playing around. On the ranger I would have to go full throttle on some of the sand hills up by you.

That being said, I just sold the ranger a couple weeks ago because the wife wants to drive the pioneer over the ranger, and so do I so I’m looking to get a talon sometime over winter or in spring so we can both drive a Honda.

I have zero regrets about getting the pioneer. It is a great machine.

My cabin is near Jungle Jim’s if you ever want to check out the pioneer 1000-5.

Last edited:
S

Schoeny

Nov 18, 2020
Crivitz, WI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had a ranger 570 and bought a pioneer 1000-5 around July of this year as a second utv so we could trail ride as a family.

I don’t really think the ride is smoother, other than the power steering is nice because I didn’t have that on the ranger. It is quieter for sure. The rangers are always revving high because of the cvt. And there is way more power is and it is smoother. I never really need to go full throttle on the pioneer unless I’m playing around. On the ranger I would have to go full throttle on some of the sand hills up by you.

That being said, I just sold the ranger a couple weeks ago because the wife wants to drive the pioneer over the ranger, and so do I so I’m looking to get a talon sometime over winter or in spring so we can both drive a Honda.

I have zero regrets about getting the pioneer. It is a great machine.

My cabin is near Jungle Jim’s if you ever want to check out the pioneer 1000-5.
Thanks toddvdh, how nice of you to reply. We often stop by Al on our rides and love the food. Before covid we would have breakfast on Wednesday morning at the Sportsman Cafe and go from there. Not this year tho.

With the number of machines that are out there it is very difficult to choose. All of my buddies have Polaris. I am going check out all of the various models over the winter but even then to spend over 20k without being able to ride them is difficult. That is why this forum can be valuable.

My email is [email protected] if you care to contact me.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks folks. A RZR or Talon seem to be too extreme for me so a Pioneer 1000 or similar machine would have to do. Seems like i just answered my own question. How about quiet? Belt or gears......? I have never ridden a Honda but will soon. Obviously this is the Honda forum, but I'm wondering if most of you are really diehard fans. In our area I don't know of one owner so I can't ask anyone but a salesman.

Best thing you can do then is get out and test drive a bunch of different ones. I never wanted a sxs because everyone used snowmobile belt drives. But then Honda came along with their automotive style torque converter in the Big Red/700 and then the DCT in the 1000.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated here with what you find!

Reactions: Mudwing
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State :cool:

When you go to purchase the Pioneer remember, red is fastest ;)

#NTC

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY. 😎
#ntc😉

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Welcome from da U.P. Is Crivitz where the Score Trophy truck track is located? I've been thru there a few times going to a customer in Hudson WI.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome to the site. :cool:

Some points - I'm also north of 70 and love my Talon R (the X rides much more stiffly as reported by many). You don't have to drive any faster in a Talon than you want, just like a Pioneer. The gear whine is painful to me at any speed but I always wore earplugs on the bikes anyway, so I'm used to them. I don't have any trouble hearing for the most part and hearing is worth protecting. My sister's Rzr was also painfully noisy, we always wore radio headsets. The best part about a DCT is being able to upshift when just cruising along, keeping the RPM down. That simple reason is why I won't own another CVT.

The Polaris probably rides better but it has the worst reliability of them all. Lots of bells and whistles tho. Can Am is comfortable too but seems to have some serious design issues but I never owned one. I'm usually a solo rider so my first priority is reliability, that will keep me in a Japanese built SxS.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!