P1000 Newbie Here - Spare Tire Question

meanmachine19

meanmachine19

May 1, 2020
Northern Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, I'm new to both the UTV world and Honda Pioneer. We own and have owned several Honda vehicles so that's why it was an easy choice for our first UTV.
This week we will be purchasing and being new I almost feel I'm putting the cart before the horse. I've got lots to learn. But thankfully there are forums like this that I have used for past vehicles where I know I can get good answers. So I'll apologize now for my ignorance since this is all new to me.

So we are getting a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe and trying to figure out what to do about a spare tire. I'm not looking for anything special (and staying with stock tires until I learn more). My question is, what size spare to get? I noticed there are 27x9x12 for front and 27x11x12 on the rear.

I'm also researching mounting options along with using a 'slime' product, so once I learn my way around the forum I'm sure I'll find answers. But first I want to figure out the spare tire thing so I can price things out (rim + tire).

Thanks in advance,
Keviin

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, I'm new to both the UTV world and Honda Pioneer. We own and have owned several Honda vehicles so that's why it was an easy choice for our first UTV.
This week we will be purchasing and being new I almost feel I'm putting the cart before the horse. I've got lots to learn. But thankfully there are forums like this that I have used for past vehicles where I know I can get good answers. So I'll apologize now for my ignorance since this is all new to me.

So we are getting a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe and trying to figure out what to do about a spare tire. I'm not looking for anything special (and staying with stock tires until I learn more). My question is, what size spare to get? I noticed there are 27x9x12 for front and 27x11x12 on the rear.

I'm also researching mounting options along with using a 'slime' product, so once I learn my way around the forum I'm sure I'll find answers. But first I want to figure out the spare tire thing so I can price things out (rim + tire).

Thanks in advance,
Keviin

Welcome to the club from Tennessee. I would get 27x9x12 same size as the front. I think you love your 1000-5. I love mine

Baumer8907

Baumer8907

Apr 22, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for posting Kevin, I am in the same situation as you. Likely purchasing today, bring home next week a new 1000-5 DLX. I was also wondering about spare tire. I am not planning to go over board trying to purchase extras but a spare tire is likely a necessity. Please keep us updated on what size you go with and also if you have a great idea on mounting.

meanmachine19

meanmachine19

May 1, 2020
Northern Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for posting Kevin, I am in the same situation as you. Likely purchasing today, bring home next week a new 1000-5 DLX. I was also wondering about spare tire. I am not planning to go over board trying to purchase extras but a spare tire is likely a necessity. Please keep us updated on what size you go with and also if you have a great idea on mounting.

Will do!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thanks in advance,
Keviin
Stock front wheel and tire will fit on the back also. From what I've read, the rear wheel won't fit the front.

D

DDDonkey

The Front tire will work as a spare for both the front and rear, I used to carry a rear as a spare. Now I never take my spare with me for the ride if I am in a group, I just carry a plug kit and compressor, and leave the spare at the truck. In the event I trash a tire and can't fix it with a plug one of my buddies would run and get the tire for me. We do a lot of riding in Flag and Payson.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the Moror City 🤟

yes just get a front tire it will fit b the rear for your emergency .
also, don’t forget! We like pics;)

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Front tire will work as a spare for both the front and rear, I used to carry a rear as a spare. Now I never take my spare with me for the ride if I am in a group, I just carry a plug kit and compressor, and leave the spare at the truck. In the event I trash a tire and can't fix it with a plug one of my buddies would run and get the tire for me. We do a lot of riding in Flag and Payson.
X2 on the plugs and small compressor.

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mount my spare on the JEI bed extender I have installed. I almost always carry the spare in AZ because 1) I can; 2) Being 5-50 miles off the beaten path away from the truck is too far, even if with a group. I have also plugged many a tire, usually not my own.

IMG 6979

advertisement
meanmachine19

meanmachine19

May 1, 2020
Northern Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mount my spare on the JEI bed extender I have installed. I almost always carry the spare in AZ because 1) I can; 2) Being 5-50 miles off the beaten path away from the truck is too far, even if with a group. I have also plugged many a tire, usually not my own.

View attachment 200356
I Like the look and simplicity of it.

Can you recommend what I should get for plugging tires? I've never done it or bought anything to do it with. Thanks for the pic!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks in advance,
Keviin

Id double check your size. The base pioneers have the 12” steel rims .... deluxe and higher have 14” aluminum rims.

to some it matters.

Last edited:
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
X2 on the plugs and small compressor.
+1
portable compressor and plugs are amazing.
my skills have improved tremendously since the first time and now fixing a flat is about as routine as filling up on gas.

you can do it anywhere, no need to be level, no need to raise up to remove tire, no need to carry a jack...

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An
I Like the look and simplicity of it.

Can you recommend what I should get for plugging tires? I've never done it or bought anything to do it with. Thanks for the pic!
Any kit like this will do: https://www.amazon.com/Boulder-Tools-Motorcycle-Trailer-Puncture/dp/B01E635PGA?tag=sxsweb24-20 You will also need a small portable compressor. I carry the Viair 85P. You can get tire repair and a compressor at most auto stores or Wally World, or online at any of the Motorsports shops. I recommend finding a compressor on the small size for portability.

H

Hollywood82

Dec 28, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 200356

Could you share details on how you mounted the spare on the bed extender? I'm looking to do the same with my bed extender. Thanks

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The JEI bed extender has the option of buying a bolt-on mount for a spare tire. They recommend also getting the hitch mounted support bar when carrying a spare on the extender. The kit comes with pins for easy coupling/decoupling, but.....that will result in a lot of noise and squeaks. I bolted the support bar on tight with 5/16" bolts and nylock nuts. This past weekend, I also bolted the bed extender to the mounting brackets to keep it all quiet. I can't flip it into the bed like this pic from the JEI website shows, but I can still lift the dump bed by unbolting/removing the support bar. I only lift the bed for maintenance, so I value the quiet squeak-free permanent mount over rattles and noise.

JEI Bed Extender 1

Reactions: Ridinfool
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!