Newbie needs help.......

R

Rottiedog

Oct 4, 2020
Boulder, CO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello Members,
I live outside Boulder, CO and have ALWAYS wanted an ATV vechile of some type. I’m 73 years old and finally deciding it’s time to move on my desires. I’ve been looking at different options and have narrowed it down to either a Kubota UTV or the Honda Pioneer 1000-5, now leaning toward the Honda. I know it’s a seller’s market but wonder if anyone has recommendations on a retailer who is willing to sell below MSRP. If there’s a deal to be had, I’d even consider purchasing and having the machine shipped to me.
Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.
Oh, surely I’d love to get a new machine and make it the way I want it, however I would also be interested in considering anyone’s machine being offered for sale ir, and only if, it has not been abused and in excellent condition.
Thanks to all who have input. additionally, as a newbie I’m open to any suggestions for proper behavior and use of this forum. If I made any mistakes in the post, please understand they were not intended as such.
Again, Thank you!
Rottiedog/Michael

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello Members,
I live outside Boulder, CO and have ALWAYS wanted an ATV vechile of some type. I’m 73 years old and finally deciding it’s time to move on my desires. I’ve been looking at different options and have narrowed it down to either a Kubota UTV or the Honda Pioneer 1000-5, now leaning toward the Honda. I know it’s a seller’s market but wonder if anyone has recommendations on a retailer who is willing to sell below MSRP. If there’s a deal to be had, I’d even consider purchasing and having the machine shipped to me.
Oh, surely I’d love to get a new machine and make it the way I want it, however I would also be interested in considering anyone’s machine being offered for sale ir, and only if, it has not been abused and in excellent condition.
Thanks to all who have input. additionally, as a newbie I’m open to any suggestions for proper behavior and use of this forum. If I made any mistakes in the post, please understand they were not intended as such.
Again, Thank you!
Rottiedog/Michael
If you’re just doing chores and not riding trails, I’d buy the Kubota, if you want to get out and explore while still being able to use it for work then I’d buy the Honda. 😉

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome, I bought my first SxS at 72 having aged out of dirt bikes. Because I don't know anything about Kubota, I'd lean toward the Honda. Something I knew but it had to be reinforced, they're called the ROCKY mountains for a reason. :oops: The more suspension travel the better.

For that reason, I bought a Talon R and have since learned the Talon X rides like an empty dump truck and will need suspension work almost immediately. If you'll have more than one passenger, a Talon won't fit your lifestyle though, it's a two seater.

My point, the suspension matters more than a new guy might think here in the Rockies.

amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome. If u feel like a road trip to n east fla Jax check out Cycles of Jacksonville. They have/had several 2020 leftovers in 1000-5 Nit shre abour 500/700. If u can flim flam some kind of farm/ag usage u can avoid tax. I dont think they give a rats behind as long as you are out of state and have id to prove it. I have a hunt lease out of state that was good enough for them. I called 30 dealers in Fla Ga SC NC. Call Fla Other states seemed to be sold out of 1000-5. Ask for Darrin. I bought mine Friday. Clean transaction. Price over the phone was accurate. Under list. Beat others. I thonk they will ship Good luck

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello Members,
Again, Thank you!
Rottiedog/Michael
WELCOME from 72738. If you are looking for a base model call Heartland Honda 72764. 479-751-7022 saw several couple weeks ago?

amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am a bird hunter. Our bitd club had a kabota demo. Diesel powered. Heavy as lead Not great in woods/ trails. Slughish. Good side: Built like brick s--thouse. More suited for hauling stuff atound farm. Plling up heavy stuff. Prob less likely to break than Honda. Highway depart of one of the nearby states uses them. My dog trainer uses one as well but her relative owns dealership. Not comparing apples to apples here. Honda much cooler qiicker more fun more stuff to add on. I will say I absoluted loved my Kobota 4x4 tractor. Unless you are doing lots of heavy haling chores get the Honda

R

Rottiedog

Oct 4, 2020
Boulder, CO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome. If u feel like a road trip to n east fla Jax check out Cycles of Jacksonville. They have/had several 2020 leftovers in 1000-5 Nit shre abour 500/700. If u can flim flam some kind of farm/ag usage u can avoid tax. I dont think they give a rats behind as long as you are out of state and have id to prove it. I have a hunt lease out of state that was good enough for them. I called 30 dealers in Fla Ga SC NC. Call Fla Other states seemed to be sold out of 1000-5. Ask for Darrin. I bought mine Friday. Clean transaction. Price over the phone was accurate. Under list. Beat others. I thonk they will ship Good luck
Hello AMGDriver,
I went to their site and they do have many to choose from, both 2020 and 2021’s. I would like to chat with you a little about what they asked for when you mentioned using it on land out of state you have a hunt leas on? How did you present the information to them? If I ask for Darrin should I mention you or would this sound suspicious? Is there a way for posting a teleh number to chat?
Do you know what the differences are between the 2020 & 2021 models are?
Anyway, again thanks for this great information.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kubota diesels are heavy and slow, 28 mph or so top speed. They are great for utility only. The Honda is lighter and faster, above 60mph. We bought a 2016 P1K-3 new and use it for mostly utility stuff, yard,garden,25 gallon sprayer,horse feed,hay,trash can. My cousin owns the Kubota dealership in Longview,Tx. We bought our Honda at Brookhaven Honda in Brookhaven,Ms.Not sure about either one on shipping, good luck on your decision.

Reactions: ProudDadOf5
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club from Canton, OH.
Hopefully you find the group to helpful.
I like to suggest buying a red one because they are the fastest color Honda makes. ;)
#NTC

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the club from the mud holes of WNY. Tough decision but do your research and get that deal but remember you can’t take the money with you so have fun with your new ride when you get it. 😉😎
#ntc

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from the mountains of WNC, I agree, the K bota is a beast tougher than a Waffle House steak, but trail riding it not the best. I have a P1K-5 D Lux and can pull my small trailers, my 20ft pontoon boat and still ride trails when I want. If all you want is a work horse, get the K bota, if you want a work horse and a recreational vehicle get the Honda, thats my 2cents, that a dollar and your AARP card might get you a cup of coffee.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State :cool:

A friend of mine has the smaller gasser Kubota (RTV 500 maybe?) and he loves it. He plows an ungodly amount of snow with it and has shocked me how much he hauls with it, pushes with it, etc. Top speed is only 30ish but for yard/farm work that is fine for him.

Either way don't forget.....pics or it didn't happen ;)

#NTC

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

It all started with “Hold My Beer”
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Welcome to the club from WV!

Reactions: Mudwing
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello Members,
Again, Thank you!
Rottiedog/Michael
I lived in Boulder back in 1976. Cool town. Back then anyways. Welcome!

Reactions: Mudder and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!