highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Won a bid on ebay today to purchase a used Skydio 2 drone. It's the first gen but comparing specs to the newer model Skydio 2+ the only differences are 2+ has external antanaea for longer range and very, very slightly 4 min longer flight time with new batteries. The same newer batteries will also work with the 2 model. The used 2 model was half the price of a new 2+ also!

The tracking and obstacle avoidance features are very advanced on these drones. Range is not as good as my Mini 2 but I never fly that far away anyway. My younger daughter will be taking her drone license test in January. I may get her setup to work this drone locally. For my utv business we can document ride trips for advertising. I've been looking at these for a while because I was initially interested in the 3d scanning features with their enterprise system. However, at $65k to get everything setup, that won't happen anytime soon! There is no limit to what we can do with these little flying machines!

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last year I was convinced i needed an Air2S so I bought one. Crashed it in to a tree a month later playing with the tracking/following mode. They sent me a replacement even though I had not bought their crash warranty and I might have flown it 2-3 times since. Living close to an airport is a pain sometimes.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you haven't flown a drone before you will love it. My wife has an air 2s and I have a mini 3 pro. They are alot of fun.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last year I was convinced i needed an Air2S so I bought one. Crashed it in to a tree a month later playing with the tracking/following mode. They sent me a replacement even though I had not bought their crash warranty and I might have flown it 2-3 times since. Living close to an airport is a pain sometimes.
If I remember correctly the skydio does not have the airport restrictions like dji has.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If I remember correctly the skydio does not have the airport restrictions like dji has.

Flights in controlled airspace near airports aren't dependent upon the drone. You have to receive airport authorization prior to flight.

Unless you're simply talking about the drone not programmatically respecting controlled airspace (e.g., B4UFly).

Love my DJU Mavic 2 Pro.

Heck, that reminds me. I have to renew my registration soon.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Won a bid on ebay today to purchase a used Skydio 2 drone. It's the first gen but comparing specs to the newer model Skydio 2+ the only differences are 2+ has external antanaea for longer range and very, very slightly 4 min longer flight time with new batteries. The same newer batteries will also work with the 2 model. The used 2 model was half the price of a new 2+ also!

The tracking and obstacle avoidance features are very advanced on these drones. Range is not as good as my Mini 2 but I never fly that far away anyway. My younger daughter will be taking her drone license test in January. I may get her setup to work this drone locally. For my utv business we can document ride trips for advertising. I've been looking at these for a while because I was initially interested in the 3d scanning features with their enterprise system. However, at $65k to get everything setup, that won't happen anytime soon! There is no limit to what we can do with these little flying machines!

View attachment 366953
Oh dam! Had me excited! Thought you spelled Ski-Doo wrong! Looked and its a dam drone! 🤣

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Oh dam! Had me excited! Thought you spelled Ski-Doo wrong! Looked and its a dam drone! 🤣
Absolutely ZERO use for a Ski-doo in South Louisiana!!! :p This weekend's lows are predicted at 19 degrees!! That will probably shut the whole state down without snow!!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Flights in controlled airspace near airports aren't dependent upon the drone. You have to receive airport authorization prior to flight.

Unless you're simply talking about the drone not programmatically respecting controlled airspace (e.g., B4UFly).

Love my DJU Mavic 2 Pro.

Heck, that reminds me. I have to renew my registration soon.

From my understanding there are certain flight areas the DJI will not allow you to fly. Like you are against an invisible wall. Otherwise for the most part the app just warns you and you can ignore it. I have never encountered an area like that but I had 2 hobby dealers tell me that. One claimed the autel has no restrictions and one told me the skydio had no restrictions. Those 2 are fully dependent on the operator knowing law and correct airspace designations.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Update..
The first few flights went very well. During the fourth flight my daughter was in follow me mode using the Beacon controller, following herself walking around the property. Everything was working normal until she got a ceiling height reached message. She used the beacon controller to bring it down but it went crazy and sped off sideways into the branches of another tree (that it just avoided moments before) then crashed to the ground. After that all it would do is give a V30, sensor error message. Flights ended. The gimble appears to the functioning correctly. I was not happy. All the hype about this drone being autonomous and it crashed itself almost right out of the gate.

I think what happened is the drone lost the GPS signals. And I say that because my DJI will give me the same message if I launch it quickly without locking on to enough satellites. The Skydio had already been flying for several minutes when this happened.

Talked to the Skydio guys and they said it was out of warranty but I could send it to them for $150 inspection. So it's either that or $1000 display item. Tracking shows they just got it today. If they can fix it then the $150 goes toward the repair cost. Hopefully it's not ridiculously expensive to fix because after reading on the Skydio Pilot forum, this is a very common error message.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update..
The first few flights went very well. During the fourth flight my daughter was in follow me mode using the Beacon controller, following herself walking around the property. Everything was working normal until she got a ceiling height reached message. She used the beacon controller to bring it down but it went crazy and sped off sideways into the branches of another tree (that it just avoided moments before) then crashed to the ground. After that all it would do is give a V30, sensor error message. Flights ended. The gimble appears to the functioning correctly. I was not happy. All the hype about this drone being autonomous and it crashed itself almost right out of the gate.

I think what happened is the drone lost the GPS signals. And I say that because my DJI will give me the same message if I launch it quickly without locking on to enough satellites. The Skydio had already been flying for several minutes when this happened.

Talked to the Skydio guys and they said it was out of warranty but I could send it to them for $150 inspection. So it's either that or $1000 display item. Tracking shows they just got it today. If they can fix it then the $150 goes toward the repair cost. Hopefully it's not ridiculously expensive to fix because after reading on the Skydio Pilot forum, this is a very common error message.
Similar thing happens to me. Sent the Air2s to DJI expecting a bill and they replaced it no charge. Maybe you’ll get lucky too?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update..

Hopefully they will get it taken care of. I have not had to use it yet but my wife and I both have the extended coverage on our DJI units. I have not used my follow modes yet but my wife has used hers a number of times without issue.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From my understanding there are certain flight areas the DJI will not allow you to fly. Like you are against an invisible wall. Otherwise for the most part the app just warns you and you can ignore it. I have never encountered an area like that but I had 2 hobby dealers tell me that. One claimed the autel has no restrictions and one told me the skydio had no restrictions. Those 2 are fully dependent on the operator knowing law and correct airspace designations.
I have a mavic pro platinum

I have never encountered this, but I’m also not looking to fly in areas that have restrictions either.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
No restrictions out here! I’ve flown my mini 2 as high as 800 feet and as far away as a mile but that was over a rice field with no trees. The mini takes beautiful pictures and video. I just have to fly it. I wanted the Skydio specifically for the follow me function while riding. Hope they can fix it.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a mavic pro platinum

I have never encountered this, but I’m also not looking to fly in areas that have restrictions either.
I have gotten alerts in app while flying about the airspace I am in/destination/warning but I click OK and continue flying without issue.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Fedex delivered to Skydio yesterday and they already fixed it! I asked what the repair was and am waiting on the answer. Whatever it was only cost an addition $52 over the $150 I paid to send it to them and that included shipping both ways.
Don't sound like I need a sky monkey !

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I have gotten alerts in app while flying about the airspace I am in/destination/warning but I click OK and continue flying without issue.
Now I now what you're talking about! The newest drones have a remote ID that alerts the FAA as soon as you hit the air. Mine don't have that.

What is Remote ID?​

Remote ID is the ability of a drone in flight to provide identification and location information that can be received by other parties.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Read on but if you don't want a drone with Remote ID, then buy a used one built before Sept 16 for Skydio. Other manufacturers may be different.

On December 16, 2022, a new and substantial drone regulation that impacts both drone manufacturers and operators took effect in the United States — the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Remote Identification requirement.

Skydio Drones produced on or after September 16, 2022​

New Skydio drones produced on or after September 16th, 2022 have Standard Remote ID built in. Skydio drones with Remote ID are identified with a special label.
  • Per FAA requirements, built-in Remote ID cannot be disabled. End users cannot turn off their drone's Remote ID broadcast or alter any portion of the broadcast message.

Drone Repairs​

If we repair or replace your Skydio 2+ or X2E drone on or after September 16, 2022, the drone you receive back will have Remote ID built in, regardless of the original drone’s manufacture date.
  • Skydio 2 drones are no longer actively manufactured. If your Skydio 2 drone is repaired or replaced, it will not have Remote ID built in when it is returned to you.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Fedex delivered to Skydio yesterday and they already fixed it! I asked what the repair was and am waiting on the answer. Whatever it was only cost an addition $52 over the $150 I paid to send it to them and that included shipping both ways.
Skydio said two navigational cameras were not working along with two minor fuselage cracks. They are sending a replacement refirb unit that has been fully tested. That's cool.