BOX1

P1000 No brakes

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have yet to look into this problem. Just curious what others think. Seems a bit odd for it to be just brake pads.
I have normal brake pedal pressure but only 10% braking power. It feels like they are frozen, and that's happened before for just a few pumps but goes back to normal. I drove 10miles to get home with little to no brakes. Its about 20* +/-. I've had brake pads down to the metal and they still worked. This seems a bit odd.

0210191205a

Reactions: Ragnar406
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Could a caliper have ice packed in it? Have you ridden in deep enough water to have gotten it in the master cylinder somehow (IE frozen line)?

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could a caliper have ice packed in it? Have you ridden in deep enough water to have gotten it in the master cylinder somehow (IE frozen line)?
I was thinking that a few of the calipers have froze up. Its not pulling or anything when I hit the brakes. It's just won't stop. I don't think anything got into the master cylinder, but I did cross a creek that was over the hood and just below my seat. I've done 160miles in the last 2 nights and it's been cold and windy.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thursday night when we were running the night ride here @the Mulberry ride it got down to the lower teens and I noticed that my brakes took more pressure and It took more distance to slow it down. We had been running through some decent water puddles. Friday when it had warmed up and breaks were back to normal.

Found it funny that our Phones and tablets all came up with warning message that It was too cold for them to continue charging at current temp lol.

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thursday night when we were running the night ride here @the Mulberry ride it got down to the lower teens and I noticed that my brakes took more pressure and It took more distance to slow it down. We had been running through some decent water puddles. Friday when it had warmed up and breaks were back to normal.

Found it funny that our Phones and tablets all came up with warning message that It was too cold for them to continue charging at current temp lol.
Im hoping they are just froze. We really ran the machine in bad conditions for 2 nights. Snow, ice, mud, dust, water. I rode the brake pedal for a while hoping they would heat up but nothing. Ill heat the garage up and see if it helps.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
you need to melt all the crap when you go through a lot of water and its less than 20 or so. I will bring it in the garage after ride like that and blast with the torpedo heater for a few hours, then it will actually work next time. they are stored in the shed which is not heated but, normally fine if you don't let it build up like your pic

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also had a brake issue as @Ragnar406, Also my Throttle Max"s pivot point froze after going through some floorboard dept water crossing.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the silicone based lubes work good for that stuff, cables and pivots. I will spray a rag and do my doors and crap to keep the ice off. white lithium they put on doors works good too but it is messy

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also had a brake issue as @Ragnar406, Also my Throttle Max"s pivot point froze after going through some floorboard dept water crossing.
Mine did too. I thought it was my cable or something. I sprayed it with lithium grease and its been fine.

Reactions: Tramguage1
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont ride in single digit weather here in Central Texas much.
Your not missing anything. Tires slice real easy, plastic breaks, metal wears out faster. Central PA has 4months of winter. We ride or we die..

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you need to melt all the crap when you go through a lot of water and its less than 20 or so. I will bring it in the garage after ride like that and blast with the torpedo heater for a few hours, then it will actually work next time. they are stored in the shed which is not heated but, normally fine if you don't let it build up like your pic
We ride alot and I have a shed with a turbo heater that ill what that does. Its hard to keep the machine clean in these temps.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
don't wash it either, take the hose in for the winter. but melting at least the ice helps a lot and the crud just kinda falls off when you go the next time(sometimes if its real bad I will just pick it with a screw driver or something after heating). I most of the time leave it in 4wd too I have when its super cold it freezes and locks the front, once you get it going it will get some heat anyway enough to melt enough to work

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
20190120 124211
gave up caring how it looks along time ago, rather be riding than washing. you have to keep the suspension, brakes and seals clean but that's all I mess with

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!