No Coolant

D

dbishop

Nov 6, 2017
Princeton TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, I'm dbishop

Hello everyone. I am a new forum member and also a new owner. Just picked up my new P1k5 last Friday. Upon unloading at home I proceeded to go for my initial ride. After only driving about 1 mile the coolant temp light came on. Close inspection revealed there was coolant in the overflow plastic reservoir but there was absolutely no coolant in the radiator or hoses. Obviously my unit must have been built on a Monday or Friday. I talked to the dealer's service dept on the phone. It took a while before they would believe me, but after I told them multiple times that I could see all the way to the bottom of the radiator, they finally got on board with the idea that the system may have not gotten filled.
I would have returned it and let them see for themselves, but It is a 4 hr trip from my house.

I let the unit cool down and then added coolant to the radiator. It took a full gallon to completely fill the radiator, hoses, etc. After adding coolant, the engine and cooling system are functioning properly. My question is, should I have any concerns about damage to the engine? I was driving very "gentle" at the time of overheat. I am not sure how long I may have driven before observing the temp warning light, but it couldn't have been more than 1-2 minutes. The ambient temp was cool that day.......around 70F. I don't think anything got hot enough to be concerned about, but I thought I would check with forum members to make sure I'm not missing an area of concern.

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes, this is my first.
I have owned, or currently own the following: UTV, ATV, 3-wheeler, Motorcycle, Go Cart
My off-road experience level is: Intermediate
My favorite place to ride is: NW Arkansas

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the forum from Texas
There has been a few threads about having to "burp" some trapped air. But not sure I have seen one that was completey empty!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome. From South Arkansas. I bet it would have went into limp mode if it had gotten too hot. I bet your fine..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
welcome From Pa
I would have wanted a replacement on that....had to have been warm on pump seals...and cylinder jackets And the head.

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Welcome from NE Kentucky

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from AL
I agree with @swsebek - down the road if you have problems, a dealer may try to say overheating was your fault - Hope you never have any issues.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from fl. I wouldnt worry about damage to much lots have over heated and burped the air out keep an eye on it and see if you notice any leaks. These are tough engines

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information and people on here.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!