P700 No power on startup - getting worse and worse!

R

RFX

Oct 2, 2022
Wellington
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello you wonderful fountains of knowledge,

Got a 2019 Pioneer 700 that is severely misbehaving! It’s taking longer and longer on startup to get warmed up enough to drive.

I’ve owned it for just under a year, it had the clutch replaced by a Honda dealer right before I bought it, and is used on a fairly hilly farm. I had it serviced in March by another Honda dealer as it was starting to lose power on startup. They thought the oil was low and replaced the oil, filter, etc. it worked fine for a couple of months until recently - now it’s taking over 10 mins of idle before it can drive up any (mild) hill. If I try to drive it before 10 mins it will rev but not move.

I’ve replaced the oil and filter this week - the oil is the correct level - but made no difference in the performance.

Used to just jump straight in and power around the farm. Super frustrating that it‘s now behaving like this!

Anyone got any ideas how to troubleshoot this issue?

Many thanks,

Jon in NZ

Reactions: DG Rider and Farmer
1950Willys

1950Willys

Apr 4, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
The 700's should be just over full a little, Also make sure your checking the oil as specified in owners manual.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Got a 2019 Pioneer 700 that is severely misbehaving! It’s taking longer and longer on startup to get warmed up enough to drive.

I’ve owned it for just under a year, it had the clutch replaced by a Honda dealer right before I bought it, and is used on a fairly hilly farm. I had it serviced in March by another Honda dealer as it was starting to lose power on startup. They thought the oil was low and replaced the oil, filter, etc. it worked fine for a couple of months until recently - now it’s taking over 10 mins of idle before it can drive up any (mild) hill. If I try to drive it before 10 mins it will rev but not move.

I’ve replaced the oil and filter this week - the oil is the correct level - but made no difference in the performance.

Used to just jump straight in and power around the farm. Super frustrating that it‘s now behaving like this!

Many thanks,

Jon in NZ
I'm not too familiar with the 700s but I would start checking the basics first. Oil, fuel, spark plug(s), air filter(s).......

Good luck 👍

Keep us posted

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Got a 2019 Pioneer 700
What all those guys said! But I'll emphasize to check the filter!

Welcome from Michigan
We need some proof of this rig! Kind of a thing here ya know. We didn't get this fountain of knowledge by using our Imagination ;)
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Welcome from Michigan
We need some proof of this rig! Kind of a thing here ya know. We didn't get this fountain of knowledge by using our Imagination ;)
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
The Surieff has issued a warrant!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't want to freak you out and I'm pretty new to SxSs but it seems to me that some 700's were killing their camshafts. I don't remember much because I'm more focused on the Pioneer 1000s and Talons (similar engines) but it might give you something to search here.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Many thanks,

Jon in NZ
How many miles? What temps are we talking here? What weight of oil? How are you checking the oil?

Last edited:
R

RFX

Oct 2, 2022
Wellington
Ownership

1. 700-2
What temps are we talking here? What weight of oil? How are you checking the oil?
Heya, our early Spring temp here is around 10-16 deg Celsius (50-60 deg F). The oil I just used is 5W40 Fully Synthetic (dealer recommended this viscosity rather than 10W30/40). Checking oil after running the engine for a couple of mins, engine off, dipstick out, clean dipstick, place dipstick back in housing (don’t screw it in), take reading. I have filled the oil to the top of the top flat part (again, dealer recommended filling oil to this part rather than the lower flat part. Hope this makes sense and thanks for your help!

Jon

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Heya, our early Spring temp here is around 10-16 deg Celsius (50-60 deg F). The oil I just used is 5W40 Fully Synthetic (dealer recommended this viscosity rather than 10W30/40). Checking oil after running the engine for a couple of mins, engine off, dipstick out, clean dipstick, place dipstick back in housing (don’t screw it in), take reading. I have filled the oil to the top of the top flat part (again, dealer recommended filling oil to this part rather than the lower flat part. Hope this makes sense and thanks for your help!

Jon
Sounds like you're pretty close to what the factory recommends as far as oil level check. I usually wait 2-3 minutes after shut off and put the low side of the oil "ramp" at the full mark. You might be a bit higher, and we have heard of them being too overfilled causing shifting issues.

So just to be sure, I might drain a touch (probably just pull the filter cover or something) and see if it helps. Probably won't, but...
Unless that's where you've always ran it? In that case, it's probably time to start checking oil pressures at the test ports.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't want to freak you out and I'm pretty new to SxSs but it seems to me that some 700's were killing their camshafts. I don't remember much because I'm more focused on the Pioneer 1000s and Talons (similar engines) but it might give you something to search here.

@RFX My cam did not improve when it warmed up. When the lobes are gone they're gone. Yeah it's possible for a cam to go bad for multiple reasons but it doesn't sound like your problem. I also think that the cam thing was an early model issue. "Should" be solved by now.

The trans in these things are bullet proof but I'd start thinking about it. I'm no tech.... but lack of power caused by air, oil and fuel shouldn't change after ten minutes unless it's a trans or brain box thing.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@RFX My cam did not improve when it warmed up. When the lobes are gone they're gone. Yeah it's possible for a cam to go bad for multiple reasons but it doesn't sound like your problem. I also think that the cam thing was an early model issue. "Should" be solved by now.

The trans in these things are bullet proof but I'd start thinking about it. I'm no tech.... but air, oil and fuel shouldn't change after ten minutes unless it's a trans or brain box thing.
Thanks, Farmer. 👍

ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Friend of mine got oil change kit for his Pioneer 1000. Noticed the new transmission filter was built wrong. Different than the one he took out. The ends of the filter are different and it was built backwards. Rubber on wrong end. He had another one and I looked at it. It was built wrong. Might check that.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just out of curiosity, to clarify your issue,

When attempting to climb before its "warmed up" does the machine stop and slightly rev above idle without movement: as if it was nosed against a wall. Or does it rev up almost as if it is in neutral?

What is your opinion on "warmed up"; are you referring to the coolant temperature displayed on the dash or the engine/transmission being warm to the touch by hand?

R

RFX

Oct 2, 2022
Wellington
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just out of curiosity, to clarify your issue,

When attempting to climb before its "warmed up" does the machine stop and slightly rev above idle without movement: as if it was nosed against a wall. Or does it rev up almost as if it is in neutral?

What is your opinion on "warmed up"; are you referring to the coolant temperature displayed on the dash or the engine/transmission being warm to the touch by hand?
Hi, so I can start the machine as normal, put it in drive, then hit the gas - it may drive forward as normal for a couple of metres then completely stop. If I keep my foot on the gas it will rev as if it’s driving but will not move forward.

I’ll give it a couple of minutes in neutral then pop it into drive and hit the gas again. It may drive forward for 10-15m then stop as above. Repeat the process of a few minutes in neutral then drive a bit more, etc! Used it a couple of days ago and it took about 8 of the above to get it going properly.

Once going properly it will run all day as normal!

So my definition of ‘warmed up’ is when it’s running properly. I haven’t checked the dash displays or touched the engine/trans by hand.

Thanks for you help, it’s most appreciated! : )

R

RFX

Oct 2, 2022
Wellington
Ownership

1. 700-2

Welcome from Michigan
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
Had a look at the air filter today - there was one clip unlocked and there’s a couple of cracks in the air filter plastic housing box. Not sure if it’s standard or aftermarket but mine has a snorkel terminating under the hood hatch - it’s just a perforated metal cylinder with solid end, pushed into the flexible ducting.

btw - my SXS is green and missing bits because it was recently stolen by some absolute bastard, then recovered…

82BFEF2C 5FCB 4F1D 9A4E 28FB60BCF57C

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Had a look at the air filter today - there was one clip unlocked and there’s a couple of cracks in the air filter plastic housing box. Not sure if it’s standard or aftermarket but mine has a snorkel terminating under the hood hatch - it’s just a perforated metal cylinder with solid end, pushed into the flexible ducting.

btw - my SXS is green and missing bits because it was recently stolen by some absolute bastard, then recovered…

View attachment 357466
Dam dude! Dont u have insurance?
I would assume Wellington is somewhere in Canada seeing your sighting Kilometers ?

R

RFX

Oct 2, 2022
Wellington
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dam dude! Dont u have insurance?
I would assume Wellington is somewhere in Canada seeing your sighting Kilometers ?
No insurance. It’s just used on farm so didn’t think I would need insurance! Wellington, New Zealand. Thieves tried to de-Hondaify it - removed front badges, cut out the Honda logo on the rear tailgate, removed seats (installed s***ty bucket seats), ‘rewired’ some of it, tail lights missing, Kawasaki green where it was red, etc etc…

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!