NO power when tires locked

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Leesville, South Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So at Ride Royal Blue I hit a few different mud ruts slowly just to see if I had clearance, well I didn't of course no big deal I got pulled out. But when My tires were not able to turn, WHEN I mashed the gas the the floor....... The honda just bogged. Now this is something I can NOT live with and I am not sure WHY this would happen.
I was in 4wd Diff Lock and 2 tires I know were just in clay 1 other off the ground back right in ground. ANd I gave it gas and it would NOT REV up and would want to BOGG down. Can anyone tell me why 2018 Deluxe p1k-5. It has even happened behind my house trying to go up a small creek NO Matter how hard I press the pedal it boggs

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So at Ride Royal Blue I hit a few different mud ruts slowly just to see if I had clearance, well I didn't of course no big deal I got pulled out. But when My tires were not able to turn, WHEN I mashed the gas the the floor....... The honda just bogged. Now this is something I can NOT live with and I am not sure WHY this would happen.
I was in 4wd Diff Lock and 2 tires I know were just in clay 1 other off the ground back right in ground. ANd I gave it gas and it would NOT REV up and would want to BOGG down. Can anyone tell me why 2018 Deluxe p1k-5. It has even happened behind my house trying to go up a small creek NO Matter how hard I press the pedal it boggs
That's how they are. As soon as you see you're powering out, let off because you're just gonna smoke your clutches. I noticed it a few times with stock tires. More frequently with 28s and all the time with 30s. The bigger the tires, the bigger the problem. I can't crawl stuff like I want. You just have to hit s*** like you're mad as hell.

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's how they are. As soon as you see you're powering out, let off because you're just gonna smoke your clutches. I noticed it a few times with stock tires. More frequently with 28s and all the time with 30s. The bigger the tires, the bigger the problem. I can't crawl stuff like I want. You just have to hit s*** like you're mad as h
That just seems like a bulls*** answer... But I believe you.. So just break s*** I guess. I mean I literally moved up slow on to my skid and bottomed and I could not spin tires since I was leaning to my driver side tires......... Gave it gas and it just boggs....... I have never had this happen any other time of course giving it hell or semi hell or even just some gas over stuff.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That just seems like a bulls*** answer... But I believe you.. So just break s*** I guess. I mean I literally moved up slow on to my skid and bottomed and I could not spin tires since I was leaning to my driver side tires......... Gave it gas and it just boggs....... I have never had this happen any other time of course giving it hell or semi hell or even just some gas over stuff.
Maybe you just have too good of a tire? HA!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's probably my only complaint about the 1000. I've gotten pretty good at knowing how to hit obstacles without powering out. I can't crawl them like I want but I don't hit everything wide open either.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's how they are. As soon as you see you're powering out, let off because you're just gonna smoke your clutches. I noticed it a few times with stock tires. More frequently with 28s and all the time with 30s. The bigger the tires, the bigger the problem. I can't crawl stuff like I want. You just have to hit s*** like you're mad as hell.
I can crawl like I want, but I'm on my third set of clutches at 5,000 miles!HA!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Don't some of the aftermarket "tunes" claim to address this to some degree?
I doubt it, it's purely simple getting enough oil on the clutches to keep them from smoking. Honda took care of that with the latest clutch improvement #3 that came with a new clutch cover with larger oil passages, I can dig holes.

Reactions: J80 and DrShotgun
Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I doubt it, it's purely simple getting enough oil on the clutches to keep them from smoking. Honda took care of that with the latest clutch improvement #3 that came with a new clutch cover with larger oil passages, I can dig holes.
2018 Deluxe and I have found this is an issue. Is it an issue with Honda? Do they know this is bulls***? When I mash it to the floor I want floor board acceleration but I know with a non belt drive this is .......... It hurt my ego when I got stuck..... I mash it and I cut off basically

advertisement
DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't some of the aftermarket "tunes" claim to address this to some degree?
I’ve heard they can change clutch engagement stuff but I’m not sure if this is true. All 3 companies that do them mention it though. Firming up shifts etc.

Reactions: J80 and Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ve heard they can change clutch engagement stuff but I’m not sure if this is true. All 3 companies that do them mention it though. Firming up shifts etc.
Guess I drive in manual too much? HA!

Reactions: J80 and DrShotgun
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can absolutely be addressed with a tune.
Dumb question here, how can a tune help in the low side and in low gear, does it change the clutch engagement timing? I could see where it would help in auto when your in the in between gear situations?

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
DO you advise in a company that can do that?
Lot of guys like the Florida Cracker tunes. I don't remember his screen name here to tag him, but his name is Scott Alvarez. I tuned my own to my riding style with the help of a few members here. The tune included with the dynojet pv3 is a big improvement from stock though and it's free (well, included with the powervision).

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Dumb question here, how can a tune help in the low side and in low gear, does it change the clutch engagement timing?
You can adjust how much pressure is applied. Stock is pretty low, probably to keep the guys who should have bought golf carts or jeeps from complaining about "how hard it shifts".....

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dumb question here, how can a tune help in the low side and in low gear, does it change the clutch engagement timing?
Let’s put it this my, I can walk up ledges that I used to stall out on. Long gone are the days of having to ram and bounce through obstacles.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!