BOX1

P500 No spark intermittently

D

Daryl2

Jun 17, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 500
Hi everyone. I have a p500 18 months old. For the last 6 months it has been intermittently stopping after about half an hour of use and when idling it just stops and has no spark at the plug. Leave sit for 5 to 10 minutes and it always starts. The frequency of the stopping is getting to the stage it will only run for a couple of k’s, about 10 minutes from cold to when it stops. Have had back to dealer several times and it never stops for them and they can’t find the problem. Honda Australia no help at all.
hoping someone out there has had similar problem and can suggest what the fault could be. The vehicle is always serviced but the dealer at the required intervals. Hope someone can help. Thanks

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My first thought is a ignition coil problem.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Replace the spark plug cap and spark plug, next would be the ignition coil. Check all the grounds. The stator/ pulser coil would be last. With it running you can lift up the spark plug cap a bit to raise the firing voltage and it should jump around a 1/2" gap.

Reactions: 906UP and HUCK
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Exactly what HondaBob said .

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Hi everyone. I have a p500 18 months old. For the last 6 months it has been intermittently stopping after about half an hour of use and when idling it just stops and has no spark at the plug. Leave sit for 5 to 10 minutes and it always starts. The frequency of the stopping is getting to the stage it will only run for a couple of k’s, about 10 minutes from cold to when it stops. Have had back to dealer several times and it never stops for them and they can’t find the problem. Honda Australia no help at all.
hoping someone out there has had similar problem and can suggest what the fault could be. The vehicle is always serviced but the dealer at the required intervals. Hope someone can help. Thanks
I have not experienced this issue on my P500, however when I worked at the Honda dealership we saw a similar issue on the 3 or 4 Forman fourwheelers, in the cases that we saw this in it was an ECU issue after the unit was ran for a while. Keep in mind that this was several years ago, and Honda may have corrected this problem.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think your holding it upside down.
Sorry couldn’t resist, lived in Alice for a spell (Dad worked at the space base).

For electronics they have a spray can of ‘cold’.
It cools a part off so you can see if that part is the issue.
Not sure if this will work for something as large as the ECU or the coil.
Also might check the grounds and clean the ECU connector.

Other than that, maybe @HondaTech will have some practical insight.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!