P1000 No start after oil change *Fixed*

MIAK77

MIAK77

Apr 12, 2020
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please help. Just bought this 2016
1000-5, 795 miles. Wanted to do all the fluids before I took it out. Did front and rear diffs two days ago. Then today I did engine and sub trans oil/filters and air filter. She started fine this morning to warm the oil up. Then did a few hours of maintenance reset the counter went to crank and NO start. Battery's good. I made sure to but the "this side out" out on both filters. She cranks but no bang. Not sure how changing oil and filters create a no start situation?

Reactions: Isaiah
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
Few questions.
Did you change the oil correctly?
Did you get it cranked AFTER the oil change or was that before?

There are 3 drain plugs in total.
The front one is the sub trans.
The middle is the oil pan
The rear is the oil tank.

How high is the oil on the dipstick? The one under the rear floor board? Dont care about sub trans at this point.
I am not sure where it would be in a cold unit. I would guess no more than 1/4 inch above the full mark. Any more I would drain some until you can follow the check procedures. Check it by NOT screwing it in.

Do you remember putting the oil filter springs back in?

What else have you done between the warm-up and now?

MIAK77

MIAK77

Apr 12, 2020
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Long story short is no I messed up a little. But I will try to explain. My order was this. Drained the rear most plug. (Thought that was the only engine drain). Drained the center plug (thought that was the sub trans). Changed both filters with springs installed and filters facing the correct way. Filled engine from fill port. Checked dip stick looked good. Filled sub trans. Checked dip stick... Went oh s*** I effed up somewhere it was super full. Looked back under and realized there was a 3rd plug. Drained sub trans @ 3rd plug 17mm.
(wasted 1 qt if oil that i put in). Filed sub trans to correct line. Changed air filter. Double check all caps and plugs went to crank with so start.... The guy I bought it from stored it outside with the gas on empty all winter. I filled the gas tank before I got it home. So I'm thinking I might have water in the fuel from condensation all winter. I'm gonna look into how to purge the fuel lines in the morning. I just can't see how a oil change and filters would cause a no start. But it my first SXS. So any input will help out!

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Storing them outside with a nearly empty tank is not a good way to store them. I’m sure being in Alaska adds to that issue. At this point, I would assume it is a fuel issue. Not knowing how bad it is, it sounds like the tank and lines need to be drained. If it’s still cold we’re you are, there is a possibility if enough water got into the fuel pump, it may be frozen also.
BTW, spent many weeks in Fairbanks and Anchorage while pulling duty in the military. Love Alaska. My wife used to live in Wassilla.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Break it down to the simple things, an engine needs 3 things to run.... fuel, spark & compression. Since you only did an oil change & it ran before there's no need to worry about compression so that leaves spark & fuel. Spark is easy enough to check, get a buddy to crank it over while you test for spark at the plug wire. This can be done by pulling the plug wire and installing a spare plug or tester....even a small phillips screwdriver will work (just hold the handle and keep the metal shaft about 1/16-1/8" from the frame or engine while your buddy cranks it over. If it has spark, pull the spark plugs, are they wet or dry? If dry it's not getting fuel, if they're wet it's either flooded or the fuel is suspect. Report back with what you find, we'll try our best to help you figure it out.

MIAK77

MIAK77

Apr 12, 2020
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fixed!!
I didn't have time to work on her yesterday but came out this morning and disconnected the fuel line let it drain out. Reconnected ran the fuel pump a few times and she fired right up! I must have sucked in a water slug from the winter. I'm going to run heet and Sta-bil in the tank and keep her in the garage long term. Thanks for all the help with my minor freak out!!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Fixed!!
I didn't have time to work on her yesterday but came out this morning and disconnected the fuel line let it drain out. Reconnected ran the fuel pump a few times and she fired right up! I must have sucked in a water slug from the winter. I'm going to run heet and Sta-bil in the tank and keep her in the garage long term. Thanks for all the help with my minor freak out!!
Good news! Thanks for the update

Reactions: TripleB
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heet doesn’t really fix the problem and only worsens the problem of too much alcohol in pump fuel. If it were mine, I would drain the tank. Refill then still run Sta-bil. Better yet, K100.

Reactions: TripleB
MIAK77

MIAK77

Apr 12, 2020
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heet doesn’t really fix the problem and only worsens the problem of too much alcohol in pump fuel. If it were mine, I would drain the tank. Refill then still run Sta-bil. Better yet, K100.
Good to know. I will look into the K100 for sure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!