P1000 Noise when key off/out

E

elarson6772

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2024
Saginaw, Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Got back to my cottage after a week and upon walking in the garage I heard my 1000-6 making a repetitive “clicking” sound even though the machine is off and key out. I have no accessories that function with key off amd it sounds like its coming from the center of the machine down by the front steering area.

I've attempted to attach a video without success due to file type. If I disconnect the battery it immediately stops. I also noticed after being in the garage a bit that it comes and goes, changes sound level, and speed of the “clicking”.

Hoping for ideas as I don't really want to rent a trailer to haul it 90 minutes to the nearest dealer.

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It may be a solenoid, but you are unable to listen and find the source?

I've heard starter motors do that when they weren't getting enough current to start, but I'm not sure with the key out.
Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

E

elarson6772

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2024
Saginaw, Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
It may be a solenoid, but you are unable to listen and find the source?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk
Haven't identified it yet. Hoping to move it outside during the day tomorrow for better light.

Why would a selonid be functioning if there there isn't power? Or is it possible that something down there has power all the time?

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Got back to my cottage after a week and upon walking in the garage I heard my 1000-6 making a repetitive “clicking” sound even though the machine is off and key out. I have no accessories that function with key off amd it sounds like its coming from the center of the machine down by the front steering area.

I've attempted to attach a video without success due to file type. If I disconnect the battery it immediately stops. I also noticed after being in the garage a bit that it comes and goes, changes sound level, and speed of the “clicking”.

Hoping for ideas as I don't really want to rent a trailer to haul it 90 minutes to the nearest dealer.
You need to upload a video of this noise. Hard to diagnose a noise without hearing it.

Reactions: TxDoc
advertisement
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I would definitely disconnect the battery and send your video to your dealer's service department and hope they're attentive with your issue. If not, I would find another dealer who's as concerned as I would be.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Next time it’s making the noise try and turn the steering wheel a little each way to see if the noise changes or stops. Also if something is getting power there would be some heat created, if you have an infra red thermometer maybe point it around to help find the culprit.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sounds like a spark nock or a relay intermittently getting power.
I would start with process of elimination.
I would have the hood off to start and see if u can pinpoint it. Then take the positive off the battery to eliminate things. Also any accessories one by one. The process sucks but its the best way.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If I disconnect the battery it immediately stops.
Sorry didnt compute this at first.
So if thats the case its something electrical.
Disconnect each accessory one by one while it does it just in case.
May also be the starter armature engaging and Disengaging. Again process of elimination you will have to disconnect power to it at the starter to see if anything changes.

E

elarson6772

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2024
Saginaw, Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Sounds like a spark nock or a relay intermittently getting power.
I would start with process of elimination.
I would have the hood off to start and see if u can pinpoint it. Then take the positive off the battery to eliminate things. Also any accessories one by one. The process sucks but its the best way.
Its definitely electrical and it stops immediately when the battery is disconnected.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Holy crap, that’s not “clicking” that sounds like an air hammer. As @Scrappapotamus said I would disconnect battery until you solve it.
Does it stop when you start the machine ?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Its definitely electrical and it stops immediately when the battery is disconnected.
Right, but your cutting off the whole system doing that not one by one post#14. Let the tedious work begin.

Reactions: TxDoc
E

elarson6772

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2024
Saginaw, Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Holy crap, that’s not “clicking” that sounds like an air hammer. As @Scrappapotamus said I would disconnect battery until you solve it.
Does it stop when you start the machine ?
I can't tell if it stops when I start it or you just cannot hear it. The video makes it sound much louder than it really is.

E

elarson6772

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2024
Saginaw, Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Right, but your cutting off the whole system doing that not one by one post#14. Let the tedious work begin.
All accessories run thru the Honda fuse box I added. I killed the power to it and no change. Also disconnected the winch power just for giggles. Sounds like its in the area of the electric power steering unit.

advertisement