P500 Noisey P500

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
I'm new here and just bought this P500. It's very noisy, I suspect a heat shield installed above the muffler. There is a heat shield attached to the muffler and another about 3 or 4 inches above it. Is this necessary, because it's a very thin piece of tin. Does anyone else have problems with noise. I bought this from a Honda dealer in another state and they said it was all checked out.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Before removing anything, I would locate a local dealer (even if you need to drive a county or two over) and just tell them you would like it looked at while under warranty, because of issues...…..

PS. I have owned 2 of these and they are noise and shift rough tough for a while before breaking-in....

Reactions: harleyjohn45
harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Before removing anything, I would locate a local dealer (even if you need to drive a county or two over) and just tell them you would like it looked at while under warranty, because of issues...…..

PS. I have owned 2 of these and they are noise and shift rough tough for a while before breaking-in....

It's a 2015 with 1400 miles, there is no warranty. The dealer I bought it from is in West Va. and I'm in New Mexico. There is a Honda dealer in Alamogordo, 50 miles away. I went around checking for loose items, but when I thumped this shield it rattled. I believe at different engine speeds it will rattle. I just completed a highway legal kit and will get a tag for it Wednesday. Thanks for your reply, I also thought I could try to isolate this shield and beef it up stop the rattle.

R

Rustell

The p500 is a noisey little bugger.. That plate above the muffler is one of them. Look into putting an insulating "blanket" under the seat. That will help with the heat from the motor and noise. Also, a rear panel or windscreen helps. I even tried some sound deading material on that pesky heatshield you are refering to. I think it helped some with that "tinny" rattle sound.

Rattle trap

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I too had a 2015 and experienced a very similar issue.... Put fuel in it and go ride :)

Reactions: nctrailboss
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Thanks for the replys, I will start sound proofing, heat proofing, and work on silencing the upper heat shield. I just finished the street legal kit, now I'll start this. We drove it 40 or 50 miles today and had a blast.
I have used a simple car window shade, cheap and easy to cut/fit under the seat and allow it to run up towards the back rest and you will experience less heat and sound for under $10, just go to WallyWorld or Automotive shop, Here is an example, https://www.amazon.com/Big-Ant-Windshield-Sunshade-Reflector/dp/B06ZZCH8BK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Many options for noise/heat barrier under seat. 75-140w synthetic oil in diffs also worth a try. Did both, still good 1 year later.

5FBCED5D FBF3 4497 BAB3 E8BF306B08AA

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Mudder, I have ordered insulation and will change the differential oil to 75-140 synthetic. It did seem to have extra gear noise, however it was different at different speeds.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I also ride a Harley with stock mufflers, so you know I'm weird.
Had a Sporty 1200 for 7 years. Stock muffs. Maybe the 1 bike I've owned where i might have liked a little more noise...

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ride safe. Deer took me out on a cruiser, messed up hand and hard to grip handlebars, so switched to P500. Miss the Two wheels. FYI, I put the foil side down on heat blanket.

Last edited:
harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
I used to run loud mufflers, but as the years wore on I've grown tired of the noise. I have always been a safe rider, never had a bad accident in 68 years.
Mudder, I ordered heat shield and sound proofing off Ebay. It is advertised for automobile use under the hood and anywhere noise and heat comes from. The piece I bought is 118" x 40" x 5mm and with adhesive backing. That should allow me to to cut and fit it nicely. The material is black, so it should blend good.
I am looking hard at 906UP's gear change, will probably do that in the fall.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
We found that making a rear box from 3/4" plywood really dulled the noise... And these machines work SO MUCH BETTER with ear plugs in... lol.

Reactions: Eltobgi
ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
For a couple weeks I'd been getting a rattle at idle that sounded like it was from the same vicinity as the exhaust stuff. However when I changed my oil this week, I noticed that the front driver's side bolt holding the metal skid plate had backed out a little and the skid plate was rattling. Couple of turns with the 10mm and no more noise.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
We found that making a rear box from 3/4" plywood really dulled the noise... And these machines work SO MUCH BETTER with ear plugs in... lol.

I should start making these and selling them. I can get the rubber for free and could probably just roll them up and ship them in those tube things. Once you ride with this in place you'll swear it should have came that way.

Rubber

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I should start making these and selling them. I can get the rubber for free and could probably just roll them up and ship them in those tube things. Once you ride with this in place you'll swear it should have came that way.

View attachment 90421
I have a roll of rubber, and tried to do the same as you, but it was too thick and wouldn't lay down like I wanted it to. :( Any suggestions for where I can get rubber like you used?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a roll of rubber, and tried to do the same as you, but it was too thick and wouldn't lay down like I wanted it to. :( Any suggestions for where I can get rubber like you used?

Commercial roofing, TPO, EPDM. I'm about to score on some reinforced rubber, kinda like Visqueen with the cords running through it. Might be overkill though, I've never torn this stuff honestly.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Commercial roofing, TPO, EPDM. I'm about to score on some reinforced rubber, kinda like Visqueen with the cords running through it. Might be overkill though, I've never torn this stuff honestly.
I knew I'd seen it before, it's on my roof, under my shingles. Thanks!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!