P500 Non-compliance sticker

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Anybody else get one of these in the mail,I got one today , It looks like the 500 doesn't meet the rollover standards they had thought.Its a new sticker to put over the old one on the roll cage behind the seat, it just states that it is made in South Carolina, covering up that it meets the National standards

Attachments

• WIN_20151113_215739.JPG
    WIN_20151113_215739.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 359
J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
Yeah, now they have to buy all the p5 owners a new helmet, ha ha just kidding!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If someone really regrets buying one, I bet you could throw a stink, and either get an updated cage or a refund. Credit or something. A guy I rode with this summer was quoted his teryx would run 65mph. On the first ride he realized that it was not even close to the truth, he claims he took it back with 2 miles on it and after a bunch of negotiations the dealer got him a chip and clutching that got it to 63mph, at no charge. True or b.s. I dunno, but it did go 60 I know that.

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
What ticks me off about this stuff is: they will never (because of B.S. lawsuits) come right out and tell you what the increased risk is eg: sideways roll over the cage could crush at low speed or whatever the issue is. I just like to know about the safety, if I decide to, "at some point take on more risk" then that is on me. But when you buy a product that has a roll cage you think that it has been tested and approved to support the weight of the vehicle at reasonable speeds. You will never know for sure, you will just get a sticker. I am not placing all the blame on Honda, but frivolous lawsuits have raised to coast of safety to the point of putting safety on the back burner. </end of rant>

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What ticks me off about this stuff is: they will never (because of B.S. lawsuits) come right out and tell you what the increased risk is eg: sideways roll over the cage could crush at low speed or whatever the issue is. I just like to know about the safety, if I decide to, "at some point take on more risk" then that is on me. But when you buy a product that has a roll cage you think that it has been tested and approved to support the weight of the vehicle at reasonable speeds. You will never know for sure, you will just get a sticker. I am not placing all the blame on Honda, but frivolous lawsuits have raised to coast of safety to the point of putting safety on the back burner. </end of rant>
for a company of this magnitude to have an issue like this is crazy. Building a cage is got to be about the most inexpensive part of it. Maybe they will comeout with a simple brace that can be bolted on like canam did for their atv frames back in 12'

Reactions: jay dawge
J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
The p5 does not go that fast compared to other sxs's in that class, so they must have missed something in testing. Crash testing is a lot more involved than it was just decades ago. They are looking at a lot more angles and many more types of crashes.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Did anyone stop to think maybe there is nothing wrong with the design of the cage but that the regulating qualifications may have been updated? Does a 1000 lbs. P500 that can go 40 mph need to be as strong as another SXS Sport model weighting 1500 lbs. that can go 80 + mph.

I think everyone is reading to much into this, lawyers are just covering the company's arse from potential liability suits because society today can't be responsible that they were stupid it ALWAYS has to be someone else's fault.

Go ride and enjoy your P500.

M

michaelbach

Aug 26, 2013
Got mine today, pretty silly of you ask me

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Did anyone stop to think maybe there is nothing wrong with the design of the cage but that the regulating qualifications may have been updated? Does a 1000 lbs. P500 that can go 40 mph need to be as strong as another SXS Sport model weighting 1500 lbs. that can go 80 + mph.

I think everyone is reading to much into this, lawyers are just covering the company's arse from potential liability suits because society today can't be responsible that they were stupid it ALWAYS has to be someone else's fault.

I don't think it has anything to do with the cage design, its more of a mathematical issue with the high center of gravity on a 50" wide machine.As if any of us paid any attention to whether or not this vehicle meet the standards or not when we bought it.JUST RIDE AND ENJOY ,ITS STILL A GREAT LITTLE MACHINE

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadesmn
M

McKay59AB

Aug 20, 2014
N.Central Washington
My interpretation is that my Pioneer 500 no longer meets the ANSI/OPEI B71.9-2012. Seems to me that Honda should fix the problem rather than revoke the safety standard.

Reactions: Rustell
J

JasonS

Jun 18, 2015
Apologies for the confusion - so is the issue with roll cage design and integrity in the event of a rollover or is the issue with the frequency of occurrence of a roll over with this particular model due to its short wheelbase and narrow width??? Could someone please clarify - thx you kindly!!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

I recently read...

"Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is because you are STUPID and make bad decisions"
I say, throw the sticker in the trash and grab a beer, LETS RIDE.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Could this excerpt be the reason?

OPEI B71.9-2012 does not apply to vehicles defined by other standards such as golf carts, personal transportation vehicles, four wheel all-terrain vehicles, any vehicle that complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, vehicles commonly known as "dune buggies," industrial trucks, or burden and personnel carriers.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!