tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you do that?

According to this brief summary of state requirements a non-resident is NOT ALLOWED to register a motor chicle in New Hampshire or South Dakota.

I didn't review the entire list but I don't think any state allows a non-resident to register and title a motor vehicle.

I know it's possible for a person could probably falsely claim residence by using someone else's address but it would not be legal.

Some retirees who are full-time rv travelers use a mail service in SD but even though they don't have a permanent home addresss they claim residence and vote in SD.
An atv or Utv is not a motorized vehicle, it is an off highway vehicle that can get a restricted plate, I believe you are correct of cars and pickups.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have helped a few with this from this site.

Check out Clay County or Pennington County SD Treasurers websites.

All you have to do is call them and they will walk you thru it.

Thank you!

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is utter BS as proven here before. SD doesn’t require it’s resident to register their vehicles in SD....period. We don’t give a crap. What is required is that your STATE ID is changed if you take residence in the State of SD. You have 30 days to do so once you move.

Your vehicles can remain registered where ever you like.

You seem bent on making a case that titling your vehicle in another state is illegal... but continue to fail to show it is?

Half baked/opinion articles don’t count either.

Just ignore him. He is just another clueless blowhard know-it-all keyboard warrior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just because SD will register a SxS that the owner lives in another state, does NOT equate to that registration being LEGAL in that second state. I can 100% guarantee you that any vehicle that is owned by a La. resident and in La. more than 50% of the time is REQUIRED by La. law to be registered in La. Will that SxS 'slide' by for a while ..... yes. But it will finally come to light and pay the price. I many other states requires at the least that all resident vehicles be registered in their respective state. ......

RS 32:51 and RS 47:501​

Reactions: HBarlow
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I tried to do this during the pandemic instead of paying Dirt Legal $600 to do it for me SD does allow registration of SXS's from out-of-staters but during the pandemic they no longer allowed it to happen over the phone or online they were short staff. The treasurers office wanted me to come in person and register it and of course I found a work around but didn't act on it.

I spent probably a good week on this just didn't do it there is a place you can rent a mailbox in SD it was roughly $125-175 cant quite remember the exact figure then I want to say an extra $75 you could do basically what dirt legal does you give them rights to act on your behalf they go in person and register your SXS and mail you the plates. They do not take ownership of your SXS they just act on your behalf and you have to sign a good faith waiver you made your SXS street legal horn, turn signals DOT tires and mirrors. I have the Rigid mirrors with built in foward facing turn signals I found a kit to make my rear brake lights turn signals.

I want to do a follow up and see if i can register it online now that we are hopefully on the tail end of the pandemic.

Edit: I reached out to the mailbox company and expressed I didn't want to rent a mail box but if you are willing to do the registration service for a fee I would be willing to spend $100 per SXS I have 2 to register they weren't interested in offering the service without the mailbox rental.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried to do this during the pandemic instead of paying Dirt Legal $600 to do it for me SD does allow registration of SXS's from out-of-staters but during the pandemic they no longer allowed it to happen over the phone or online they were short staff. The treasurers office wanted me to come in person and register it and of course I found a work around but didn't act on it.

I spent probably a good week on this just didn't do it there is a place you can rent a mailbox in SD it was roughly $125-175 cant quite remember the exact figure then I want to say an extra $75 you could do basically what dirt legal does you give them rights to act on your behalf they go in person and register your SXS and mail you the plates. They do not take ownership of your SXS they just act on your behalf and you have to sign a good faith waiver you made your SXS street legal horn, turn signals DOT tires and mirrors. I have the Rigid mirrors with built in foward facing turn signals I found a kit to make my rear brake lights turn signals.

I want to do a follow up and see if i can register it online now that we are hopefully on the tail end of the pandemic.

Edit: I reached out to the mailbox company and expressed I didn't want to rent a mail box but if you are willing to do the registration service for a fee I would be willing to spend $100 per SXS I have 2 to register they weren't interested in offering the service without the mailbox rental.
I reached out to one of the above counties, they emailed me the forms and said mail everything in.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Less than $30.00 with Idaho, all done on mail and email....😎

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Less than $30.00 with Idaho, all done on mail and email....😎
Ya Idaho is easy to work with. I’ve always showed up in person so not sure on mail/email but they didn’t care. Gave me plates on the spot and send me reminders every year to renew.
Cheaper there then my home state but the nice thing is like 4 times as much of their profit from everything goes back to parks and rec. as opposed to Washington

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya Idaho is easy to work with. I’ve always showed up in person so not sure on mail/email but they didn’t care. Gave me plates on the spot and send me reminders every year to renew.
Cheaper there then my home state but the nice thing is like 4 times as much of their profit from everything goes back to parks and rec. as opposed to Washington
Did they issue you a title as well? I know SD does but haven’t verified if ID does.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Wrong. You can title / register a vehicle in South Dakota or New Hampshire no matter wher you live. There may be others. I have done several over the years while living in Commiefornia, Florida and we now live in Tennessee and my P1000 is plated in SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can do it in Wisconsin also. SXS and boats.

Reactions: Montecresto
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Just because SD will register a SxS that the owner lives in another state, does NOT equate to that registration being LEGAL in that second state. I can 100% guarantee you that any vehicle that is owned by a La. resident and in La. more than 50% of the time is REQUIRED by La. law to be registered in La. Will that SxS 'slide' by for a while ..... yes. But it will finally come to light and pay the price. I many other states requires at the least that all resident vehicles be registered in their respective state. ......

RS 32:51 and RS 47:501​

I don't understand what this interest in titling and registering vehicles in a state other than home state is about. I was not aware that some renegade states were grabbing tax dollars by allowing non-residents to register and title their vehicle but even if they do, it's not legal for the non-resident back in his/her home state.

As BigOL clearly stated above, it is NOT LEGAL in any state for a full-time permanent resident of that state to register and title their motor vehicle in another state on a permanent basis.

Federal law exempts active duty military members who are allowed to maintain their drivers licenses and vehicle registration in their permanent home states and states exempt those who reside in their states for less than 50% of the time but permanent residents of a state cannot pick another state to skirt the laws of their home state.

Some do it, of course, like some rob convenience stores. Some may get away with it but it's NOT LEGAL. Some may register and title their atv/utv in another state and may get away with it for years riding on trails in rural areas until a local police officer or state trooper stops and checks their registration.

Reactions: BigOL3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ya Idaho is easy to work with. I’ve always showed up in person so not sure on mail/email but they didn’t care.
Sure, if I were in Spokane I’d go in person too. Remember I registered and plated my Pioneer 1000-5 in Idaho for the Magruder Corridor ride? And I just now registered and plated my Talon in Idaho. Both times easy peasy by email/mail.....

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't understand what this interest in titling and registering vehicles in a state other than home state is about.
Well for example, I went and did a ride from Darby Montana to Elk City Idaho and back and needed to be street legal because some of the route was on state highways. I’m a resident of a state that doesn’t offer street legal registration for OHV/UTV’s. So I picked the easiest state that would allow me to register my UTV which was Idaho. Nice of Idaho to do so and at the righteous price of $30.00 and all by mail....

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
As BigOL clearly stated above, it is NOT LEGAL in any state for a full-time permanent resident of that state to register and title their motor vehicle in another state on a permanent basis.
Yes true for an on road vehicle like your daily driver. But not true for an off road vehicle UTV. I have gone through this legal process now three times in two states...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Some do it, of course, like some rob convenience stores. Some may get away with it but it's NOT LEGAL. Some may register and title their atv/utv in another state and may get away with it for years riding on trails in rural areas until a local police officer or state trooper stops and checks their registration.
This simply is not true. I have three SXS’s now legally registered and plated in two states and they know of my Oklahoma residency. They request a copy of drivers license, which had my Oklahoma residency/address, my insurance and title/certificate of origin all of which is out of state and they process and mail me my plate and stickers....

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Well for example, I went and did a ride from Darby Montana to Elk City Idaho and back and needed to be street legal because some of the route was on state highways. I’m a resident of a state that doesn’t offer street legal registration for OHV/UTV’s. So I picked the easiest state that would allow me to register my UTV which was Idaho. Nice of Idaho to do so and at the righteous price of $30.00 and all by mail....

Your machine will "appear" to be legal in Idaho as long as ID allows non-residents to register in their state. But after your brief ride ID plates will be of no value whatsoever back in your home state.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yes true for an on road vehicle like your daily driver. But not true for an off road vehicle UTV. I have gone through this legal process now three times in two states...

I know a lot about the culture of eastern Oklahoma.

If it's "legal" as you claim please post a link to OK statutes that proves it's legal for an Okie to register his ofr vehicles in ID/SD and drive them on OK public roads.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Your machine will "appear" to be legal in Idaho as long as ID allows non-residents to register in their state. But after your brief ride ID plates will be of no value whatsoever back in your home state.
Of course it will be of no use to me in my home state. I already told you that Oklahoma doesn’t allow street legal for UTV’s. But you asked a question and I answered it sonorously. Other states that practice reciprocity will recognize my Idaho plate and I’ll be legal on roads in those states according to their laws...

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This simply is not true. I have three SXS’s now legally registered and plated in two states and they know of my Oklahoma residency. They request a copy of drivers license, which had my Oklahoma residency/address, my insurance and title/certificate of origin all of which is out of state and they process and mail me my plate and stickers....

You don't seem to understand the issue.

Of course the state that is collecting registration fees (taxes) from you considers it legal. They're happy to take your money but you don't live in that state. You are not subject to the laws of ID when you're back at home.

You ARE NOT LEGAL in OK where you live.

Reactions: Pilgrim
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!